UnderGround Forums

NBAGround >> Shaq retires

6/1/11 3:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
305-onpoint
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the 19-seasons, especially '06. 

The most dominating BIG MAN, I have seen. 

Where does Shaq rank all-time? 
6/1/11 4:57 PM
CRBMoney14
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If not top 5 hes definately close
6/1/11 7:37 PM
HeatleMania12
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

top 10.

There was about a 3 or 4 year span where he was literally unstoppable. No one in the league right now even comes close to how dominant he was.
6/1/11 7:48 PM
memory blues
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His jersey will hang from the rafters of Staples Center, as it should. On one hand, I loved the personality he brought to the game, almost child-like in his playfulness. On the other, I wonder how his career would have been different with a better work ethic and competitive drive. Of the dominant big men I have seen play, Shaq and Hakeem are atop the list.

I am glad he retired, it was kind of sad to see him hopping from one team to another in the ring chasing twilight of his career.
6/1/11 11:16 PM
CRBMoney14

Mick Donaldsfan -  He had no tangible skill whatsoever.  Just a very large human who could jump real high.  very boring to watch

Hakeem ate his lunch

TROLOLOLOLO
6/2/11 12:37 AM
HeatleMania12
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is some truth to what Mick is saying, but lets be real here. 99% of NBA players past and present wouldn't have been in the NBA if they were average in height and athleticism. I'm talking MJ, Magic, Larry, Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, Kareem, Wilt, so on and so forth. Even the smaller players are abnormally quick and athletic. Being tall and athletic is what basketball is all about at it's root, as painful as that may be to believe.

If you knock a guy for being tall and athletic, you really shouldn't be watching the NBA. 
6/2/11 1:24 AM
PoundforPound
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. Kareem Abdul-Jabar.
2. Wilt Chamberlain.
3. Bill Russell
4. Hakeem Olajuwon
5. Shaquille O'Neal
6/2/11 2:10 AM
EKPOGI
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bill Russell
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem(though he had the least help among the centers)
Wilt
6/2/11 5:36 AM
memory blues
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mick Donaldsfan - 
HeatleMania12 -  There is some truth to what Mick is saying, but lets be real here. 99% of NBA players past and present wouldn't have been in the NBA if they were average in height and athleticism. I'm talking MJ, Magic, Larry, Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, Kareem, Wilt, so on and so forth. Even the smaller players are abnormally quick and athletic. Being tall and athletic is what basketball is all about at it's root, as painful as that may be to believe.

If you knock a guy for being tall and athletic, you really shouldn't be watching the NBA. <br type="_moz" />

The players you listed were all SKILLED.  they had post moves or fade away jumpers honed from years of practice and repetition.

Shaq, a man who played basketball his entire life, could not make more than half his free throws.  He shot no sky hooks, he had no jump shot.   His post moves were clumsy and childish.

His entire game was predicated on being the biggest guy on the court.  Back someone down for 5 seconds and dunk.  Or have a skilled player throw the ball up and have him jump real high and dunk.

Hakeem was a much smaller man but RAPED Shaq in the playoffs using a variety of back to the basket moves.  Hakeem was a true player

:/
6/2/11 6:26 AM
Windfall
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HeatleMania12 - 99% of NBA players past and present wouldn't have been in the NBA if they were average in height and athleticism.

...holy meaningless quote.
6/2/11 6:27 AM
Windfall
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BTW, did you guys know that 99% of NFL players past and present wouldn't have been in the NFL if they were average in size and strength?

Did you guys know that 99% of if the smartest people in the world wouldn't have been the smartest people in the world if they were of average intelligence?
6/2/11 6:39 AM
HeatleMania12

it's not meaningless, it's a response for bashing a player for being tall and athletic. If you do that, you may as well bash the whole sport. That was my point.
6/2/11 6:43 AM
Windfall

I have failed comprehension (failed to read the thread, in fact).
6/2/11 10:44 AM
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shaq had a soft touch around the basket when he needed it. The guy definitely had skills, but he hurt his legacy by playing too long and having a crappy work ethic.
6/2/11 11:56 AM
C1010
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^I agree with that.

He had an amazing career given that and was one of my favorite players. He's definitely top 10. His jersey should be retired by the lakers.
6/2/11 12:59 PM
CRBMoney14

"His post moves were clumsy and childish."

you are such a weak troll. GTFO
6/2/11 3:25 PM
PoundforPound
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quick - Shaq had a soft touch around the basket when he needed it. The guy definitely had skills, but he hurt his legacy by playing too long and having a crappy work ethic.

Quick, being as objective as you can, who do you rank higher as a center: Shaq or David Robinson?
6/2/11 6:26 PM
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/02/11 6:26 PM
While my answer might blow this thread into a five pager, I would have to pick the Admiral. I have written and erased why that is about eight times now lol. Suffice to say there are a lot of reasons, but ultimately I can forgive the Admiral's shortcomings easier than I can Shaqs. And I know that might not sound like much of an answer, but if I get some time later I will try and elaborate.
6/2/11 6:32 PM
CRBMoney14

quick - While my answer might blow this thread into a five pager, I would have to pick the Admiral. I have written and erased why that is about eight times now lol. Suffice to say there are a lot of reasons, but ultimately I can forgive the Admiral's shortcomings easier than I can Shaqs. And I know that might not sound like much of an answer, but if I get some time later I will try and elaborate.

Ya I think Mark Jackson is better then Jason Kidd. If I get some time later I might elaborate
6/2/11 6:48 PM
HeatleMania12

I think Shaq was the best big since Moses. I love guys like Robinson, Hakeem, Ewing and others, but Shaq was just better. Not nearly as skilled, but still better.
6/2/11 8:00 PM
PoundforPound

How can you say Shaq is better than Hakeem especially when The Dream owned him (badly) when they went head-to-head in the Finals?
6/2/11 8:36 PM
CRBMoney14

PoundforPound - How can you say Shaq is better than Hakeem especially when The Dream owned him (badly) when they went head-to-head in the Finals?

Because Shaq was only in his 3rd year, going up against a prime Olajuwon.

Prime Shaq against a 3rd year Hakeem would have been a massacre
6/2/11 9:15 PM
EKPOGI
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^the question though,who'd win?prime shaq vs prime hakeem?I think Hakeem would run circles a prime Shaq.

Hakeem is my fave center,and imo a better player than Shaq(Dream won a title much by himself),but Shaq accomplished and won more so he should be ranked higher.
6/2/11 10:36 PM
HeatleMania12

Prime Shaq would bowl over prime Hakeem. Just right over him. Squash. Over with. Done. No amount of skill Hakeem had would overcome that. And prime Shaq wasn't great defensively, but he was a space eater and was a great defensive rebounder. At the very least prime Shaq would keep Prime Hakeem in foul trouble.
6/2/11 10:40 PM
CRBMoney14

EKPOGI - ^the question though,who'd win?prime shaq vs prime hakeem?I think Hakeem would run circles a prime Shaq.

Hakeem is my fave center,and imo a better player than Shaq(Dream won a title much by himself),but Shaq accomplished and won more so he should be ranked higher.

I dont think either would run circles around either. It would be pretty close

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.