UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gracie: Diaz will counter GSP with true BJJ

6/2/11 8:50 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

After weeks of speculation, UFC President Dana White made it official via Twitter.
U wanted it! U GOT IT!!! GSP vs DIAZ Oct 29th UFC 137 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Officials for Zuffa, started looking into the possibility of St. Pierre vs. Diaz soon after the acquisition of Strikeforce in March. The St. Pierre bout falls under a new eight-fight deal that Diaz signed with Zuffa, Gracie said.

That contract allows Diaz to fight for both of Zuffa's mixed martial arts promotions. But it precludes professional boxing, which Diaz originally planned to pursue in the fall.

"They were very fair in their dealings with us," Diaz's trainer Cesar Gracie said. "It was kind of a complex contract because of the boxing, so he obviously had to be compensated for not boxing and taking this fight instead."

"Nick is going to counter his wrestling with true black-belt jiu-jitsu, Gracie jiu-jitsu," said Gracie.

Read entire article...

6/2/11 8:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gokudamus stole my name
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick is getting wrestlefucked
6/2/11 8:54 AM
Chris Power
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just like Shields did. Gracie's such a hype man.
6/2/11 9:08 AM
Devlin
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Power - Just like Shields did. Gracie's such a hype man.

the fight wasnt on the floor long enough for shields to use any, if gsp keeps it on the feet vs diaz, i see him getting ko'ed
6/2/11 9:13 AM
SpartanFightClub
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just look at both last five oponents...Not even close.

If Diaz manage to threat GSP standing, GSP will take him down at will. Diaz will not sub GSP from his back. Diaz will not be able to be on top.

I like the match up 'cause Diaz will be in the face of GSP from start to finish.

GSP by Elbows in Diaz's guard.
6/2/11 9:15 AM
acid jazz
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Power - Just like Shields did. Gracie's such a hype man.

Sad, but true.
6/2/11 9:22 AM
Fool of Wisdom

Where will GSP be comfortable or "safe" in this fight? He didn't take Shields down because of his ground game and he still had trouble with him standing. Diaz's striking is light years ahead of Shields and his ground game is at the very least equal to his. So where can GSP take this fight and not be in danger? Phone Post
6/2/11 9:26 AM
acid jazz
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fool of Wisdom - Where will GSP be comfortable or "safe" in this fight? He didn't take Shields down because of his ground game and he still had trouble with him standing. Diaz's striking is light years ahead of Shields and his ground game is at the very least equal to his. So where can GSP take this fight and not be in danger?
GSP is in danger in theory, but in reality he will probably outwrestle Diaz. I don't think he will stand much with Diaz. Just hold him down for 4-5 rounds.
6/2/11 9:28 AM
acid jazz

Illmatic1492 - Nick is about to whoop that ass
I want you to be right, but I just have a feeling that this is not going to be a fight.
6/2/11 9:30 AM
Fool of Wisdom

If the same GSP that showed up for the Shields fight shows up for the Diaz fight, there will be a new champion. Phone Post
6/2/11 9:30 AM
canuck34
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did GSP play it safe against BJ? It will look a lot like that fight. Phone Post
6/2/11 9:32 AM
bombshelter

If anyone can make a Nick Diaz fight boring, it's GSP. Most disappointing fight of the year I'm betting.
6/2/11 9:33 AM
bombshelter

I hope I'm wrong.
6/2/11 9:35 AM
jerky66

Nick Diaz is a more technical grappler and more technical boxer than GSP. Athleticism will be the factor in this fight though. GSP will take him down to the ground and leg hump Nick then glide to a decision. That’s what happens when you combine wrestling with BJJ. You have wrestling that can avoid submissions and lay & pray. Pure wrestling is weak compared with any other art but dangerous when you combine it with others. Not that GSP is a wrestler he just has better wrestling than Nick.
6/2/11 9:45 AM
Hessian
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
6/2/11 9:46 AM
S Dubaya

bombshelter - If anyone can make a Nick Diaz fight boring, it's GSP. Most disappointing fight of the year I'm betting.

I just said the same thing pretty much word for word to a friend. Unfortunately i think your right.
6/2/11 9:47 AM
un3rgr0und

Diaz will bring the fight to GSP but this is why I think GSP will get the finish in this fight. Diaz won't allow GSP to sit back and out point him for 5 rounds, Diaz is going to make GSP work for that belt and in doing so I see GSP winning by finish.
6/2/11 9:54 AM
Hessian
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So after GSP beats Diaz who will the 209 hold up as the next big thing?

We heard the same hype train for Shields who managed to do nothing but weak kicks and eye pokes.
6/2/11 9:54 AM
acid jazz

un3rgr0und - Diaz will bring the fight to GSP but this is why I think GSP will get the finish in this fight. Diaz won't allow GSP to sit back and out point him for 5 rounds, Diaz is going to make GSP work for that belt and in doing so I see GSP winning by finish.

Uh, NO. GSP will not finish, but he will win.
6/2/11 9:58 AM
2SP

And when he loses via unanimous decision Diaz will be his tec-9 and straight represent busting caps.... Ok so I got carried away. Sorry but I don't have much in the way of respect for anyone from Cesar's camp Phone Post
6/2/11 10:01 AM
disbeliever
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP via Nick being hesitant of the takedown and not striking right
6/2/11 10:04 AM
Telfo

GSP via blanketing decision
6/2/11 10:04 AM
tapoutfan21

I think everyones giving GSP way to much credit. Diaz is by far the most dangerous opponent for GSP in the welterweight division. He's great on ground and even better standing up. His only weakness is wrestling which we can all agree is GSPs best. I think that this being diazs biggest fight he will work on his wrestling defense. At the very least Diaz will make GSP fight and work to keep his belt, something that we haven't seen in years. GSP better become the GSP of old or he will lose his belt by KO or submission. My guess is tko 3rd round. Phone Post
6/2/11 10:05 AM
My2cents
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP via however he wants. On the ground or standing he will dictate where this fights takes place. GSP is one of the most technically perfect fighters alive in the game. Some may find this boring, granted, but he will win in a dominating fashion. My guess? GSP 5 Rd. UD. Phone Post
6/2/11 10:08 AM
Rookie Fighter

Someone has to find out who owns who in the gym. Shields or Diaz. If shields wins most of the time well..... If someone goes to that gym please share the pros I train with you can usually tell who's gonna lose what. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.