UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> X-men: First Class, I am disappoint.

6/3/11 4:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MarkRobinson
1284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dont believe the hype.

Not the best x-film. Not close.

For me, the cool parts, did not out weigh the negs.

Hope this fails. Give Marvel the rights back ASAP.

More details regarding my dislike tomorrow.
6/3/11 11:02 AM
MarkRobinson
1284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/03/11 11:05 AM
As a movie fan, i thought it was a decent movie but poorly paced with an anti-climatic ending. There are a few laughs and a neat cameo as well. Fassbender as Magento was absolutely great. At many points during the movie i wished it was just a film about him, as many of the other character were not fleshed out at all and really served no purpose but to push the plot in certain directions. Bacon was good as well. i liked him as Sebastian Shaw. dialog was great at times but at other points was very cheesy.  It hits all the general audience points that a summer blockbuster would; so if youre into action, the occassional joke and special fx's youll likely walk away thinking it was atleast decent..

The comic book fan in me was upset at various points through out the movie. There were some very cool scenes between the xavier and magneto. I really enjoyed their talks and blossoming friendship. Several of the other characters were not interesting to me at all. A big turn off was the retcon on so many aspects.

For a comic movie i give it a 2 out of 5. whereas i gave Thor a 4 out of 5. Cool action scenes, but overall its not really the xmen that were are fans of.

For a movie movie/ i give it a 3. entertaining but nothing particularly stands out as exceptional.

Spoiler:

im pretty sure the only mutant to be killed is the fucking black guy. wtf.  And dont expect them to explain Havoks relationship with cyclops. its not alluded to at all.

6/3/11 11:43 AM
Granpa
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dunno, Marvel seems to be systematically destroying their franchises. Thor was a dud and this by all accounts seems like another cookie-cutter teen angst flick.

Marvel, I am disappoint.
6/3/11 11:50 AM
paw
1429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Granpa - I dunno, Marvel seems to be systematically destroying their franchises. Thor was a dud and this by all accounts seems like another cookie-cutter teen angst flick.

Marvel, I am disappoint.

First off, X-men: First Class is a Fox movie, not a Marvel film.  Marvel has very little (read: no) control over this film, and if I'm not mistaken, Fox had to make an x-men film to keep the license as per their original agreement with Marvel.

If X-Men: First Class is good, bad or otherwise, that cannot be fairly layed at Marvel's feet.

Secondly, I don't know how someone can say Thor is a dud. Thor is not a dud, at least financially.  Are you saying you didn't like the film?

6/3/11 12:13 PM
MarkRobinson

right,

I was spitting vinegar at this film for weeks but the comic geek in me had to check it out. i wish i didnt because i would really love for these Fox/ Sony marvel character films to fail.

Opening night was bigger for this than it was for Thor.
6/3/11 12:52 PM
JudOWNED
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Granpa - I dunno, Marvel seems to be systematically destroying their franchises. Thor was a dud and this by all accounts seems like another cookie-cutter teen angst flick.

Marvel, I am disappoint.

lol at Thor being a "dud." It did well at the box office, and was AWESOME. Marvel has also done well with the Iron Man franchise, and there is a great deal of hype about Captain America and The Avengers. So, I kinda feel like you don't know what the heck you are talking about, fren.
6/3/11 8:06 PM
Alger Hiss
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson - right,

I was spitting vinegar at this film for weeks but the comic geek in me had to check it out. i wish i didnt because i would really love for these Fox/ Sony marvel character films to fail.

Opening night was bigger for this than it was for Thor.

Seriously? ugh.
6/4/11 12:08 AM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marvel, I am disappoint.

It seems odd to dismiss this film because "by all accounts" it's lame while at the same time dismissing Thor even though by all accounts it was awesome.

Also, this is the first negative review I've heard of this movie. Not sure if I'll see it in the theater. I had no interest in it until the rave reviews started coming up, but even so, there's Super 8 next week, Captain America after that.
6/4/11 1:22 AM
Granpa
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess I'm more picky about comic book movies than you guys seem to be. Thor was garbage IMO, and 99.9% of comic book movies are just lame predictable versions of the actual origin stories of the super heroes.

If they can't be true to the comics then they shouldn't bother. Angel in this movie is a chick with firefly wings.. WHAT THE FUCK?!
6/4/11 2:05 AM
Saiga12
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Salvadore
6/4/11 4:48 AM
kinkle

Both Thor and First class were good movies. I am glad to see some of the more minor mutants featured in First class. No shit the movies will not be exactly the same as the comics, but I think that is actually better and makes the movie more interesting.

I liked how they mixed up the "original" X-men team, and especially the Hellfire club. The story makes no sense with the X-men comic continuity, but did the movie ever claimed it was going to be a story based on that continuity? No.
6/4/11 12:24 PM
HEMAN
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Granpa...you're slipping bro...know the characters of the movie = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Salvadore
6/4/11 12:35 PM
paw
1429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Granpa - I guess I'm more picky about comic book movies than you guys seem to be. Thor was garbage IMO, and 99.9% of comic book movies are just lame predictable versions of the actual origin stories of the super heroes.

If they can't be true to the comics then they shouldn't bother. Angel in this movie is a chick with firefly wings.. WHAT THE FUCK?!

re: picky
Nothing wrong with that.  If you didn't like Thor, you didn't like Thor.  Personally, I thought Thor was a better movie than it should have been.  The acting for Thor and Loki was fan-frakin'-tastic - and that's what made the movie for me.  My complaints would be: I wanted the Warriors Three to be more badass (not sure if I like Ray Stevens as Volstagg, frankly).  I really didn't like Sif - Sif should be such a badass that she gives Xena nightmares...and I didn't get that from the film.
All in all, a fine summer film, but of course, ymmv.

re: true to comics
This was the point I was trying to make - Marvel had no control over this film, so it was "true-ish" (and x-men-ish, for that matter).  I have mixed feeling about stuff like this...on the one hand, I don't want the film to "fail" so that no one makes another x-men film, but I sure would like Marvel to have total control over their property.  I have more faith in Marvel getting things right, than I do with Hollywood types who don't know comics and are just making the film to keep the license.

..and on another note, it's good to see you posting!
6/4/11 2:54 PM
grafzep
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JudOWNED - 

Marvel, I am disappoint.

lol at Thor being a "dud." It did well at the box office, and was AWESOME. Marvel has also done well with the Iron Man franchise, and there is a great deal of hype about Captain America and The Avengers. So, I kinda feel like you don't know what the heck you are talking about, fren.

Thor is closing in on half a billion world wide and was a very entertaining movie.

X-men first class was very good. It was very ambitious imo and succeeded admirably. I really liked the 60's Bond vibe and I think I will go see it again.
6/4/11 5:09 PM
Granpa

I'm going to eat crow and say that I was very wrong about X-Men first class. Great movie all around (unlike Thor). Magneto, Kevin Bacon, and Mystique stole the show. Fantastic performances by them all.

It wasn't perfect, there were some silly plot holes, but overall, IMO the best comic-book movie since the Dark Knight. Only real criticism I have is the little boy that played Magneto as a child. Horrible, horrible actor. There is a scene that is supposed to be incredibly moving, and that kid blew it. That scene came off as the most cheesy thing in the movie because of that kid's horrible acting. Other than that, all performances were very well done.

If this is Fox making a Marvel movie, then I'd rather they continue making Marvel movies instead of Marvel Studios (Thor, Iron-Man 2, both garbage).
6/4/11 5:19 PM
MarkRobinson

You....disgust me.

Lol
6/4/11 5:31 PM
MarkRobinson

Still can't believe they killed the fuckin black guy.
Terrible fuckin stupid cliche that was only rivaled by the b-movie level cgi quality of the Thunder-Cat-Stunt-Double they passed off as Beast, all of a sudden running 200 fuckin mph.

Best comic movie since TDK my ass.
6/4/11 10:03 PM
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haters gonna hate. Thor was awesome, as I expected. X Men I had very low expectations for and I thought it was great. Tied with X2 for the top in the series.

My main complaint was

*spoiler*

Why even have the "black guy" in the movie? And he should not have been taken out like that, I'd think he would have adapted.

The guy who played Charles is a good actor, but I would have liked to have seem him attempt to sound like Patrick Stewart, then way Ewan McGreggor tried to sound like Obi Won (at least in the first prequel).

I also may have liked to see Charles and Mags friends for a long period of time before going at each other, but it's ok.

Also, I'd have kind of liked for Magneto and Char
6/5/11 6:13 PM
Outkaster
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought it was great. Magneto was a bad-ass and I liked how they used sub-titles and ties into real world events.
6/5/11 8:53 PM
lilmanster
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you guys are so jaded
6/5/11 9:11 PM
Entreri

The movie was great, 9/10. The best X-Men movie.

Finally they have a badass Magneto.

6/6/11 12:24 AM
MrColdCock
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This made me LOL

Granpa - Magneto, Kevin Bacon, and Mystique stole the show.
6/6/11 2:25 AM
Calebcb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like some other people, the more I found out about this the movie and it's changes to continuity leading up to it's release, the more I hated on it and wanted it to bomb so Marvel could get the rights back. I couldn't resist the urge to watch it though, and was pleasantly surprised. It washed the bad taste of X3 out of my mouth.

*Spoiler*

The biggest thing I didn't get was why kid Magneto killed the soldiers and trashed the room but didn't even look to have attempted to hurt Shaw.
6/6/11 9:25 AM
Yelm
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I saw the commercials I was pissed.  The timelines for Xavier being so young and Havok being alive was infuriating.  Then they turn Angel into a woman with bug like wings who spits acid or some shit. I really wish they would just stick to comic book stories rather than invent a new one.  

That aside I really did enjoy the movie.  Magneto was awesome, you really got a sense of how powerful he is.  I guess I just wish I knew less about the comic bookso I could just enjoy the movie for what it is.

I don't know shit about Green Lantern so I am looking forward to that cause I won't know if they blow it.  Looks like a decent special effects based movie.
6/6/11 11:30 AM
MarkRobinson

Edited: 06/06/11 11:31 AM
 i posted this in another Xmen film thread.

I just thought for a comic movie there was so much cheese that it really took away from the awesome elements. Personally the only redeeming aspects for me, were Magneto and Xaviers conversations and power displays, the hot chicks and the occasional laugh.

As a comic fan i was really disappointed in a few things.

The dipiction of some characters and their powers. Particularly Havok. People say, they dont need continuity at all in these films because their have been changes through-out the years in comics anyways. First off, fuck that. I understand some retcon changes as long as they remain overall honest to who the character is. why even hark back to the continuity if youre going to completely do away with it? As a fan fan i would have been happier if they called havok "CHEST BLASTER MAN". In interviews, it was said that they were taking liberties with Havok that would tie in later. I didnt hear them mention anything about his relationship to Cyclops. Overrall, I could have done without him in the film all together. Also, why even call the chick Moira McTaggert? And was the tornado guy supposed to be Riptide? wtf

2. The boring, dry and unless characters used only to move the plot. This movie had many more of them than Thor, TDK, Ironman, X:1 or X2. They tried to have the light on them but didnt do a very good job in my opinion. In Thor for example, the Warriors 3, Sif and even Thors mother had more speaking parts that gave the characters life other than being plot devices. Characters in Xmen were treated like Kat Dennings character in Thor.  Comic relief and to please a large demographic of the audience. Azazel did some cool things as did Riptide but did they even have a single line or any indication of who they are outside of Shaws bitches? 

the plot also had a few things i thought were outright dumb. All of a sudden the Russians and the US decide to forget about the fact that they were about to fuckin start WW3, (Which, there was never any indication that the mutants played a role in manipulating the Russians) and bomb the mutants in unison? Stupid as hell. Then you have stupid ass mystique, who was a great and powerful, smart and independent woman in the other X films. Now reduced to a girl with daddy issues trying to fuck anyone that makes her feel good about herself. I like quite a few parts in the fleshing out of her character but then she fuckin leaves the guy that took her in and is arguably her fucking brother. All these right as hes shot in the fucking back? I suppose thats because he didnt understand her, right?  

So fuckin stupid, not to mention they tied that plot line together with the other movies using the most ridiculous pieces of thread. there is never a mention, hint or anything in the other movies that even comes close to leading a person to believe that Charles and Mystique had a relationship at all. AND WERE SUPPOSED TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT THEY GREW UP TOGETHER? oh thats ok because Wolverine was in the bar for all of 25 seconds... DERP.

I enjoy the more mature approach of this film compared to say, Thor or Ironman. Its darker and seems to want to capture a good part of the adult audience. which, i think a Xmen film should be. They did a good job with making scenes have subtitles which means they obviously rule out a direct marketing to kids. Even with the adult focus, the dialog has points of being fantastic and other parts of being just fuckin goofy.

" I cant feel my legs, i cant feel my legs, i cant feel my legs!" lol

Ill take Kat Denning as Darcy saying "hes hot for a homeless guy" over that shit storm of a climax. Also, the purple caped classic-ish magneto outfit pulled me right out of the realistic world they created through out the rest of the film. lol 

Idk, like i said, it was a cool movie that was average all around for a summer type action film. I rank it right up there with GI Joe and Transformers. It definitely had some cool parts but for a comic movie it was rack full of things that make a fanboy like myself cringe.

I refuse to acknowledge it as a GREAT comic film. Especially when you take into consideration that it is supposed to be considered cannon with the other films. This movie leads me to believe that  I would have liked an X-men: Origins film about Magneto much more. With a whole team, they had way to much to work into this film and did a poor job of doing so. The scenes with Magneto were really the only GREAT thing about this film.

Entertaining yes but not great. 

i dont like Fox having the rights to these characters.   

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.