UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> R.I.P. Prof. Wally Jay

6/4/11 6:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wally Jay
(1917-2011)
The last surviving charter member of the AJI, founding father of Jujitsu America, and founder of Small Circle Jujitsu, Prof. Wally Jay died after a stroke on May 29, 2011.
6/5/11 7:31 AM
shen
664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh wow... terrible.

He was my teacher's teacher.

He was a nice man --REALLY nice and humble. Just down to earth, helpful and kind.

His energy was magic. If he put his hands on you, you became a "believer".

A TRUE legend.

RIP Professor Jay.
6/6/11 1:43 PM
jrrrrr
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had bought his small circle tapes years ago. Great stuff. He was a pioneer in taking the JJ that he was taught and taking it further. THere are a number of stories of Bruce Lee coming to him for instruction as well.

The world has lost one more true master...
My condolences to his family and loved ones.
6/6/11 3:24 PM
Willybone
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rest in peace, Sensei.
6/6/11 3:33 PM
TBoy2
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the kind words Shen. I normally hang out in the BJJ forum since that is what I mainly train now.

Wally Jay is my great uncle and allot of what I leaned from him I have applied to other martial arts that I have studied. Mostly Judo and BJJ. I'll try to post a link to some videos of him.

He was always really humble and friendly to everyone.
6/6/11 3:43 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Bummer. His was among the first martial arts books I read and I still vividly remember the big toe pressure point photo/illustration that I tried (painfully) on myself, and then giddily tried on my unsuspecting aikidoka peers. That photo of Okazaki sitting in hakama with Juan Gomez by his side I always thought was pretty badass also. Made him look like the most steely-eyed masseuse to ever live. ;)

RIP.
6/6/11 6:44 PM
shen
664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TBoy2 - Thanks for the kind words Shen. I normally hang out in the BJJ forum since that is what I mainly train now.

Wally Jay is my great uncle and allot of what I leaned from him I have applied to other martial arts that I have studied. Mostly Judo and BJJ. I'll try to post a link to some videos of him.

He was always really humble and friendly to everyone.

That's right, I remember you.

Sorry for your loss my friend.

He was a true gentleman.
6/7/11 11:32 AM
TBoy2
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Shen.

I just found a clip someone posted from his finger lock DVD. Finger locks were one of his favorite techniques because pretty much anyone of any size could use them. At the end of the video he does kind of a palming finger lock. It might look kind of hoaky but I assure you it is real. I know from first hand experience. There is no way you can escape once he gets you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00lR1kpdFzw&feature=related
6/13/11 9:55 AM
Ogami Itto
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh shit. RIP, professor.
6/16/11 12:28 PM
TBoy2

His Obituary is now posted at the small circle ju jitsu web site. http://www.smallcirclejujitsu.com/
7/20/11 11:41 AM
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP
7/25/11 3:04 PM
Old Red Belt

What jujitsu I know was from his small circle syle..it works. I met him once he was like the pide piper the kids loved him...good bye to a great master.

John Simeone
10th Dan
Okami Ryu

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.