UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Guitar god Nels Cline

7/15/11 12:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
726 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/15/11 1:08 AM
Ha! Good find! I know it well! That's the CD version. I've given that CD as a gift probably a half-dozen times. Listen to it regularly still, as I have since it came out.

Even the beginning sounds like "jazz" to me, but then... Bill Evans jazz. Which is very chamber-y, often. I just know the orignal real well, too.

These three guys were freaking TELEPATHIC. I don't think you'll find them doing "It Should Have Happened A Long Time Ago" (the version from the cd Trioism), but if you do... That's some of the sickest ESP between three guys ever. (I'm a huge fan of all of them individually, but what they were doing in the 80s and early 90s was together was just transcendent).

I'm glad you pointed out 2:07. First note Lovano does at the beginning of that phrase slays me, and what a crazy accompanist he is, too, on a monophonic instrument. Sick. Telepathic.
7/15/11 1:15 AM
hugomma
1005 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/15/11 1:20 AM
Well, since you brought it up...No delays, compressors, volume knobs, or looping. Just wood, steel, a plastic pick, & the man himself.

Alright my fren, the wife is wondering if I'm sucking on the bong again listening to all this weird, beautiful shit. I gotta hit the sack. Still need to check out the mellow Bill/Scof/Erskine thing you posted here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgdioarsMsE&NR=1

And the link you posted of Frisell with a larger band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JwZlu2mR84

And this Eivind Aarset dood. And whatever else makes it's way on this awesome thread.

I may not be back for a few days (family shit), but I'll be back for more. There was another thread called "Filthy Talent - Guitar Genius" with some Shawn Lane & this acoustic monster Ewan Dobson I was gonna post on, but this is so much more interesting (to me, at least).   Although the "Any Bluegrass Music Fans?" thread is cool, & I will eventually make my way back there.  But this Bill Frisell fucker's got me in some kind of a trance or something.  And I just went through this with Nels Cline a few weeks ago, LOL.
7/15/11 1:23 AM
Ali
726 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/15/11 1:37 AM
... and you haven't checked out his "soundtrack to films of Buster Keaton" work. Which is a treasure on youtube, if I can find the "High Sign" clip, I will give the URL.

Of course I like your thread choice!

I hope all goes will with (family shit). I sent you a PM, btw.

Cool clip you posted -- when I saw him in Hollywood a while back, he introduced that (electric) with: "Did you guys hear they just awarded Hank Williams a Pulitzer prize? What? What? What... TOOK them so long?"

Edit -- I can't resist... from the same record as the Madonna tune, originally, here's another piece of "American Music". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvpbFVbdCqk&feature=related I won't have to point out 2:04 or so, but I just did anyway.
7/15/11 1:34 AM
Ali

Ok, this is both trio and... something completely different. And it's not the moment I was looking for (seems to be gone from youtube) but... well, the music is just as good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OkPnO5Ibac
7/16/11 6:55 PM
hugomma
1005 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/16/11 6:59 PM
Okay, back for a bit, wanted to check the thread. Your "this is both trio and... something completely different" caught my attention, so I thought I'd start here.

Well, this is some of the most enjoyable Frisell that I've heard.  A great example of his talents as a composer.  What's this one called?

I really enjoy not only his tone & playing, but the piece itself, the interplay between the trio, & the grooves they cover. I love how they go from distorted, spacey angular melodies into post modern swing at 2:07.  Great stuff. 
7/16/11 7:06 PM
hugomma

I found this one as well. I love the part at 4:44. Even though it's Frisell's soundtrack for Buster Keaton, the melody & build up at 4:44 sound like the soul leaving the body going in the that tunnel of light they always describe in near death experiences.

I'm seriously thinking of getting the Buster Keaton soundtrack, this is unbelievable. Does the DVD just show the music played over the films, or is it done like the 1st one where they cut back & fourth from Buster Keaton to the trio?

Gotta go again, will check back soon.
7/16/11 7:12 PM
hugomma

Okay, one more. This is another one that sound more like modern classical music rather than jazz, although there seem to be gypsy jazz elements in the composition.

The melody and interplay are beautiful. Frisell at his understated best.
7/16/11 7:35 PM
Ali

Edited: 07/16/11 7:48 PM
The Buster Keaton DVD is just the three movies on-screen. Like... the movies, scored by Bill Frisell. We don't actually have any "original" scores for those films, whenever there's movie music, it's something someone added later. So Frisell just did it a lot more recently than anyone else! Seriously I wasn't grabbed by those CDs (my bad), but when I got the DVD with the movies, I fell in love with the music. I admire Keaton tremendously, already, as well. Really, you don't want the band in the picture -- though I wish there were special features that showed that. I don't know how old your kids are, but those movies are good, comedic family fare, as well as being freaking High Art.

I love Probability Cloud. There's a #2 as well. That's from "History, Mystery" which is a strange and varied 2CD set. High points are very high indeed. There's a cover of Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" that has a huge build into a stratospheric sax solo from Craig Tardy; Frisell as arranger and accompanist on that is breathtaking, too -- that's "larger forces" and a good example of what I'm talking about with more range. I used to really miss the soloing (and I might still) but I am in love with his accompaniment and arranging, too -- both of which are very clear on that record. I can't tell you how thrilled I am (as a good evangelist) that you dig what he's doing on Probability Cloud. Most of the time people want to hear ripping guitar in a "prove it!" sense when I get all reverential about Frisell. It usually takes a much longer time for folks to hear what he's doing in something like that -- I mean to care enough to hear it, really. It's mindblowing to me. I'm so glad you tracked that down.

Oh yeah.. I'm not sure the title of that tune in the Keaton clip. I could figure it out, but... I won't (at least not right now). There are three movies, The High Sign, Go West, and One Week. That's from Go West. All the titles are references to scenes in the movie.

The soundtrack to the DVD spans 2CDs... if I were getting one thing, I'd get the DVD, still.
7/16/11 7:45 PM
hugomma

Edited: 07/16/11 7:46 PM
Okay, still here, still have some time. Check your PM Ali - thanks.

This one put a smile on my face. What a wonderful, interesting take on an old classic. I love when he kicks the overdrive in at 2:03. And LOL at throwing in that classic blues lick at 2:46. It could've been cheesy and shitty, but it fit the mood of the piece perfectly.

Thanks for the skinny on the Buster Keaton DVD. Although a special features section with the band playing & the movies would be ideal, if I had to pick, I would prefer to watch just the films with Frisell's soundtrack. My kid is 6 & very interested in Parkour. He'll love Buster Keaton.

Interesting that you didn't like the CD's right away. I've played these a couple of times, & even without the films, I loved it. 
7/16/11 7:52 PM
Ali

Edited: 07/16/11 7:53 PM
I was just slow to hear the soundtracks for whatever reason. Not like my least favorite stuff at all... there's just lots of long more mellow sections and I just didn't have my head in the right place. Happens. I love that stuff now.

Of the three movies... there's a Parkour scene in The High Sign that's one of the absolute heights of cinematic history. I wasn't even thinking about Parkour as being a hook, but that's obvious now that you bring it up!

And... great catch on the Sousa at 2:46. That performance just got twice as Grand and Funny to me!
7/16/11 8:02 PM
hugomma

Turns out I have more time than I thought I did...gotta love the crazy weather out here.

I don't know if it's me & my ears opening up, or the context of the piece, but Scof's tone didn't bug me at all on this one. And man, Frisell's phrasing - love those subtle volume swells.
7/16/11 8:05 PM
hugomma

Ali - I was just slow to hear the soundtracks for whatever reason. Not like my least favorite stuff at all... there's just lots of long more mellow sections and I just didn't have my head in the right place. Happens. I love that stuff now.

Of the three movies... there's a Parkour scene in The High Sign that's one of the absolute heights of cinematic history. I wasn't even thinking about Parkour as being a hook, but that's obvious now that you bring it up!

And... great catch on the Sousa at 2:46. That performance just got twice as Grand and Funny to me!

Well, you probably didn't have someone like you guiding you through the enigma that is Bill Frisell, LOL. You've done a great job of presenting his music.

Okay, now it's movie time, will check back later. Thanks again.
7/16/11 8:10 PM
Ali

Edited: 07/16/11 8:13 PM
Cool -- because there are at least a few tunes on the two Marc Johnson's Bass Desires records that are killing. Probably the most enigmatic-Frisell is the version of Black Is The Color of My True Love's Hair on the first one. It's like this hovering fog that suggests the melody the whole time. Insane. I haven't found a youtube version or I'd have posted it.

BTW, check the "Any Earth Fans...?" thread below, if you haven't yet.

I'll send you an email very soon.
7/17/11 12:59 AM
hugomma

Edited: 07/17/11 1:08 AM
Got your email & replied. Thanks Ali, much appreciated.

Look what I found. I'm sure you've seen, have this, but if anyone is lurking, reading this thread, they should check it out. The very 1st thing you hear is Jim Hall saying Frisell reminds him of Monk, LOL.  I gotta try slurring 1/2 steps, shit, I gotta hunt down Dale Bruning.

I'll post the rest, listening to the opening piece right now. 
7/17/11 1:15 AM
hugomma

Edited: 07/17/11 1:31 AM
Man those harp sounding open string/harmonic chord voicings & melodies played on 1 string are beautiful. What a crazy way to approach chord melody.

LOL at him not knowing about the volume pedal & comperssor canceling each other out. Come to think of it, I didn't know that either, I've never used a volume pedal.

Interesting that he was using the Boss Digital Delay pedal like a sustain pedal on a piano. Now he uses this:

http://www.ehx.com/blog/bill-frisell-with-ehx-freeze-and-micro-pog

"Maybe I don't need this either." - Bill Frisell

I bet the pedal manufacturers didn't like hear that, LOL.

That's a crazy sounding version of "The Days of Wine & Roses".
7/17/11 2:05 AM
hugomma

The way he uses 2nd's is SO Monk-ish. He seems to combine the melody, bass, intervals (lots of 2nd's), open strings, & harmonics rather than thinking in traditional chords. This whole video is a great breakdown to Frisell's approach & how he thinks of music.
7/17/11 2:20 AM
hugomma

Frisell seems very shy, at probably doesn't stopped thinking about what he does a long time ago. It's funny to watch him trying to mimic Kermit & Joey rhythmic space while playing alone.
7/17/11 2:21 AM
hugomma

I would've loved to have heard that entire last piece.
7/17/11 2:32 AM
hugomma

Edited: 07/17/11 2:39 AM
Oh wow, a live version of "Probability Cloud". Very cool, & interesting to watch after the "Guitar Artistry of Bill Frisell". It drives home what he was saying about playing with a larger ensemble rather than a trio. 

I gotta get some sleep.  Will check out the Earth thread soon.

Thanks,

Hugo
7/17/11 11:53 AM
Ali

The Guitar Artistry I got on DVD -- before you could see all this stuff on youtube. For a long time it was the only thing you could buy on video re: Frisell -- It's really good for musicians, I think the performance sections of it don't come out to well. They're ok.

But the solo show that Poem for Eva was from is available, and most recently the band show that is the same as the one for the above "Probability Cloud" is available.

Used to be tons of shows traded (audio), but he requested "no taping" a while back, probably to make room for selling the Download Series on his website. He puts up another show pretty much once a month for purchase now... strangely, none of them are a show I had from all the trading I used to do though.

I loved Kermit and Joey so much as that band... but I gotta say I've since figured out what's so great about Kenny Wolleson, different as he is from Baron, and love Ron Miles (trumpet) and Craig Tardy (sax) who are on the Probability Cloud live.

I haven't revisited all of the Guitar Artistry clips... where/what does he say about playing in larger ensembles? I don't remember it offhand.
7/17/11 3:41 PM
hugomma

Edited: 07/17/11 5:50 PM
Got your emails, wow, thanks Ali. Much appreciated.

I see what you're saying about the performances not coming great, but I do love that version of "Wine & Roses". That last piece they cut short seemed cool. To me, it sounded like happy, Caribbean island music twisted up in a Frisselian manner. So far, I haven't heard that side of him yet, although I'm sure there's plenty of it somewhere.

Actually, I really enjoyed those short vignettes that he played over each chapter heading.

I noticed on his website there wasn't much with the Barron/Discroll trio, although there was stuff with them in larger settings.

Are those traded shows available online? I'd love to hear more of that classic trio, whether it be extraterrestrial retard funk, post modern jazz, American, or whatever.

I had my eye on these:

BILL FRISELL, RON CARTER, PAUL MOTIAN
Recorded February 14-15, 2005, at Avatar Studios, New York, NY

FURTHER EAST/FURTHER WEST
Recorded live at Yoshi's, Oakland, CA 5/8-11/04
Recorded the Village Vanguard, New York City 12/9-12/03

I should be more specific: on video 4/5, at about 10:46 in, Frisell talks about the difference of playing with The Trio & the quartet he put together with violin, trumpet, trombone, & guitar. I lumped it into just "larger ensembles".

Going to check on the Earth thread. 
7/17/11 4:24 PM
hugomma

Frisell's becoming an obsession. Him & Cline go together like booze & pills, LOL.

Great solo, awesome octavia lick at 4:27. The octavia is one of my favorite oddball guitar effects. The Ghost of Hendrix must have loved that.
7/17/11 4:39 PM
hugomma

Okay, last one for now.  I love the guitar tones on this Earth stuff.

Talk to you soon, thanks again.
7/17/11 9:24 PM
Ali

Hugo-- cool stuff; for one, the musical performances in "Guitar Artistry..." are better than I remembered, at least watching it again here. And yeah, that section talking about playing with the new quartet by contrast is interesting. Even though it sounds like "one more" than the trio, it's totally different. That record (which I love, btw, but it's... a different thing. He talks about no bass and drums -- so it's guitar and violin and two horns. Everybody a melody instrument, all having to handle the rhythm on their own, so to speak).

Re: the three things you had your eye on the DL site -- those are all "expansions" of albums released. East/West and the companion "Further East/West", etc. I like them all, but already if I'm going to recommend a first cd, even without all this interaction, it would be "Live". I don't know of how to download that (unless it's on itunes or whatever -- I bought a physical copy... but then, I bought it when it came out). that's the Driscoll/Baron band, and and that's what caught your ear too, in addition to being what I would recommend to start with. Try amazon is one suggestion.

The DL series -- the solo "Live at Grace Cathedral" is a no-brainer. That'll be similar to the 2000 in London solo stuff you heard, though not the same.

I have to look and see what else -- there's one of the more recent ones in poland (is it no. 13? or 11? I"ll check) that I think is killing. I like the organ trio stuff with Sam Yahel in part because that trio never made an official CD.

Some of the quintet stuff is great but also very noisy, which I can't get too many friends to listen to. You may well be very different! Live those noise-skronk sections go on for a good long time often. And what works in the atmosphere of a live show, sitting in the dark, doesn't always work at home on the stereo or computer.

But yeah, "Live". And then maybe Paul Motian's "Trioism" or "Live at the Village Vanguard". But you've already entered the rabbit hole. You'll get to most of it in one order or another, probably!
7/23/11 2:52 AM
Ali

Edited: 07/24/11 3:44 AM
Just 'cause it was mentioned in passing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_F36BafKis

And Frisell does another cover of one of my favorite all-time rock tunes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UqOGse7nX0&NR=1

His solo comes in at 6:51... but again that whole patient build, and playing so pretty, to make it pay off... genius.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.