UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Guitar god Nels Cline

8/2/11 11:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hugomma
868 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Ali, another crazy week.  WIll look at this ASAP.
8/4/11 11:47 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/05/11 1:00 AM
Dude, take your time. My evangelism requires no eagerness or alacrity on your part.

And I really do think this thread is just us, anyway !!

Oh well. Not everybody is sensitive to the mindbendingess that is Frisell or Cline.

(BTW, I never called people "dude" before I moved to L.A.).

On an even more patience-requiring tip, if only because it's mellow much of the way through, a great build, and one of my favorite musicians you haven't heard yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02lz4-gQCTQ&feature=related

He's better on most of his recordings, and those with Molvaer (I am shocked at how much there is on youtube and how little of it is really at the top of his game... but this one at least I think is pretty spectacular, if only one side of what he does).
8/5/11 10:37 AM
hugomma
868 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for your patience & understanding. Wife, kid, starting a band, went to see Primus & the Flaming Lips on Wed at Red Rocks (great show BTW). Lots going on, all of it good, I'll have to shoot you an email. Going on vacation tomorrow, I'll get to this tomorrow.

For what it's worth, I see the light: Frisell is a god.
8/6/11 1:17 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/06/11 1:19 PM
Back to Frisell... I'll throw in another one (just to give you more homework). I just heard this for the first time today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1DVG_BpqA&feature=related

Long solo starting at about 3:30 or a tiny bit before (depending how you count), with that Frizzed deep blues thing... you've heard this sort of thing before. It's a just a really nice instance, again.

Then there's the exquisite transition between tunes beginning at about 5:20 till the next tune emerges. I live for this stuff.
8/8/11 10:59 AM
Perfer Et Obdura
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/08/11 11:00 AM
hugomma - Anyone here listen to Nels Cline?

The Maggot Brain clip was at 12 Galaxies in San Francisco which is no longer around. I was at this show and have been to many Banyan, Nels Cline Singers, Fig, Crater, Wilco, Scott Amendola Band etc. etc. shows, all just to watch Nels play.

First time I saw him was with Mike Watt at a Crew of the Flying Saucer show in 1995.
8/8/11 11:03 AM
Perfer Et Obdura
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And I've had the pleasure of talking with him many times. He is soft spoken, smart and extremely nice.

If you ever get the chance to see him live, do it. I can't recommend it enough.
8/8/11 11:05 PM
Ali

Perfer Et Obdura! You're the freakin' MAN.... I mentioned in an earlier post "some guy" whose screen name escaped me, who was the real Cline guy. I'm a fan, no doubt, but you're the guy. It was your screen name I was trying to remember. Glad you showed up! I've seen Nels a few times... or four times, different contexts. Didn't really talk to him, but have a sense of how smart, soft-spoken, nice he is from some of his crowd interaction and from his own web page writings. He's amazing.

I can't wait for a chance to see him again.

And again... glad you showed up. You were the one that mentioned the (something like) "blue glove ensemble" or some such? And knew all about the Casio Tone Conspiracy when I mentioned it some years back.
8/10/11 10:42 AM
hugomma

That was...different :-)  The melody has a psychedelic feel to it.  And I love Frisell's response to Lovano's solo at 2:12.  And I love the Frisell's b licendy/harmonic licks at around 4:00.
8/10/11 10:46 AM
hugomma

Nice to have you here, Perfer Et Obdura.  On vacation now, but will post when I can.  Thanks guys!
8/10/11 8:54 PM
hugomma

This is a great showcase of Frisell's dynamics, touch, and Americana. The Bambi side of Godzilla meets Bambi.
8/10/11 9:03 PM
hugomma

I love the Frisell's lyrical phrasing from 1:44-2:12. Some mean, blusey playing starts around 3:53. I'd love to hear more of Floratone.
8/10/11 9:17 PM
hugomma

The chord he hits :53 in & keeps going back to the frist couple of minutes keeps playing over & over in my head. I love his vibrato & use of double stops from like 4:10 to 4:40.

My god, this 5:20 transition - it reminds me of what Frisell does with his solo work, but with a band. Some beautiful slide/dobro playing around 8:41 by Greg Leisz.
8/10/11 9:18 PM
hugomma

Gotta go again, but Perfer Et Obdura, if you can suggest any Cline clips, we would highly appreciate it.

Thanks guys,

Hugo
8/10/11 9:22 PM
Ali

hugomma -  The melody has a psychedelic feel to it.  And I love Frisell's response to Lovano's solo at 2:12.  And I love the Frisell's b licendy/harmonic licks at around 4:00.

From about 2:12... yeah, that Frisell solo till about 3:13 is just so sick... all that "self-accompaniment" with the skronky delayed chords behind... no one uses delay like that. Or hears that far ahead. But then from 3:13 till around 4:00 I hear it as trio-improv (or all three soloing?). That's some of the most psychic interaction ever... Except a couple of other things this band did!

I agree with "psychedelic". I take that as praise and am guessing you meant it that way (the word means "mind-manifesting" after all!) Among all my terabytes of information, there's an 11 or 13 minute segment of this trio (At the Village Vanguard), live version of Motian's tune "Yallah", that really stands out as super psychedelic and about my favorite set of bytes. Sadly, not on youtube... I'll make sure you hear it somehow, one of these days, though.

There are a lot of Motian records with those two guys, some better than others but all really good to great.
8/10/11 9:45 PM
Perfer Et Obdura

This is probably my all time favorite version of Maggot Brain by Nels

http://soundcloud.com/user2221153/04-maggot-brain

I was about 2 feet from him during this @ The Elbo Room in SF 10-12-22

And here is my flyer from the show
http://janesaddiction.org/img/tour/20021012_banyan_poster.jpg
8/11/11 12:32 AM
Ali

Why is your flyer on the Jane's site? Are you Stephen Perkins???

That's a pretty great Maggot Brain. Thanks for sharing.
8/12/11 9:27 PM
hugomma

Ali - 
hugomma -  The melody has a psychedelic feel to it.  And I love Frisell's response to Lovano's solo at 2:12.  And I love the Frisell's b licendy/harmonic licks at around 4:00.

From about 2:12... yeah, that Frisell solo till about 3:13 is just so sick... all that "self-accompaniment" with the skronky delayed chords behind... no one uses delay like that. Or hears that far ahead. But then from 3:13 till around 4:00 I hear it as trio-improv (or all three soloing?). That's some of the most psychic interaction ever... Except a couple of other things this band did!

I agree with "psychedelic". I take that as praise and am guessing you meant it that way (the word means "mind-manifesting" after all!) Among all my terabytes of information, there's an 11 or 13 minute segment of this trio (At the Village Vanguard), live version of Motian's tune "Yallah", that really stands out as super psychedelic and about my favorite set of bytes. Sadly, not on youtube... I'll make sure you hear it somehow, one of these days, though.

There are a lot of Motian records with those two guys, some better than others but all really good to great.

LOL, I type like an idiot rushed/on vacation.  I meant to say "bendy/harmonic licks".  I agree with what you said about trio-impov rather than individual soloing.  It ends up being this strange, psychic, spontaneous group counterpoint that crosses the convetional lines of solo/melody/accompaniment.

And yes, psychedelic is meant as a compliment, especailly in a "jazz" setting.  Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Sly & the Family Stone - all psychedelic.  Thanks to Miles loving Jimi & Sly, we ended with "fusion", in the best sense of the word.  Now we have Frisell & Cline, the bastard sons of Miles, McLaughlin, Tony Williams, etc...

I will make it a point to hunt down more Motian/Frisell work, one way or the other.  Any help on your end is highly apprecaited.  This thread is like a music appreciation course on two of the best post jazz guitarists alive.

8/12/11 10:01 PM
hugomma

Perfer Et Obdura - This is probably my all time favorite version of Maggot Brain by Nels

http://soundcloud.com/user2221153/04-maggot-brain

I was about 2 feet from him during this @ The Elbo Room in SF 10-12-22

And here is my flyer from the show
http://janesaddiction.org/img/tour/20021012_banyan_poster.jpg
Wow.  What a player Cline is.  Thanks for sharing. 

There's a couple of great versions of "Maggot Brain" floating around on YouTube, but I can see why this one's your favorite.  That climbing lick from 1:31-1:36 is so lyrical & flashy all at once.   Nels is an easy guitarist to 'get' - his tone, chops, phrasing, & passion bleed through everything the guy does.  

How did you get a hold of this?  Did you record it yourself?

8/12/11 10:06 PM
hugomma

Very cool flyer, thanks for sharing Perfer Et Obdura.  BTW, how DID this end up on the Jane's site???

8/14/11 11:26 AM
hugomma

Here's a one from the Nels Cline singers called "King Queen". Excellent groove & use of space. Love when he kicks in the overdrive at 5:43.
8/14/11 5:12 PM
Ali

Thanks for the new (to me) Cline clip, Hugo. Yes, it's a pretty damn burning solo. Some hilarious whammy-bar moments (which I mean as the highest praise), too.

Now check out the freaking' Aarset links I suggested!
8/14/11 10:32 PM
hugomma

That was pretty cool, it reminds me of Pink Floyd, which is absolutely a compliment - I love Floyd & David Gilmour. I thought the pedal steel was a viola in till they showed it at 2:20. I like Aarset's distorted melody that starts at 6:09, & the distorted chords that start at 6:52. Not exactly the fiery, mind-melding improve that I'm used to, but a nice, moody piece none the less.
8/14/11 10:54 PM
Ali

Edited: 08/14/11 11:59 PM
He can create tidal waves of noise, too -- I just don't see those tunes on youtube. I think he's a beautiful player (and writer) whatever the volume or tempo though.

He's not all that featured on this, either, but a hint of that side of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPj4Q_067oE

It's Nils Petter Molvaer (trumpeter) whom Aarset just left to form his own band. It's beautiful accompaniment for most of it. Some of the unhinged rhythm stuff starts at 2:37 or so. He's a bit like an animal busting out of a cage to lead into his solo starting at 4:27. That's not really the best example of him burning your face off either, but you get a better hint. And it's a great tune (I'm a big fan of Molvaer -- which is where I discovered Aarset).

The tunes I WANT to point out... like Aarset's "The String Thing" or Molvaer's "Cruel Altitude", which are completely face-ripping, both give a message that says "This video contains content from UMG. It is not available in your country. Sorry about that."

I don't know what that's about.

Edit -- this from his most recent (live) album. Most of it is this sort of pace. A long slow build to something really big. The solo starts at just about 4:19 through the end. Also not the noisiest, but a fair way toward that. And just brilliant improv, to my ear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R850Ie17YjA&feature=related
8/16/11 11:28 PM
hugomma

That was a very cool piece of music, even beyond the guitar playing. The rhythms remind me of Bill Laswell's Panthalassa, the Miles Davis album he reworked. And the little bit of guitar work left me wanting more.
8/16/11 11:46 PM
hugomma

Edited: 08/16/11 11:48 PM
I love that dark, minor melody that comes in at 1:26. The dynamics just creep up on you - out of no where, the volume just increases. I love how he comes in the the chord at 3:52.

And what the fuck did Aarset use to get the sound at 4:19? I thought it was a thermin, but it's too smooth of a transition to that high note he hits at 4:28. That was a wild ass guitar solo from 4:19 till the end, just like you said.  So many great moments, I loved the low register lick at 6:12. Nice metal power chords starting at 7:57.

It has that same Frisellian quality, where you just need some patience, cause the juice is worth the squeeze.

Although I thought the first piece was pretty cool, obviously there's much more to these Euro-trash nu jazz mutherfuckers, isn't there? 

Thanks for turning me on (again), Ali.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.