UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Guitar god Nels Cline

8/17/11 12:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hugomma
1046 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/17/11 12:32 AM
Nice 7/8 groove, with a riff that King Crimson would be proud of.  Aarset's got a hell of a vibrato, he really knows how to make a single note sing. The chaos at 4:43 shows some great group improv.  The way Aarset attacks chords starting at around 4:47 reminds me of McLaughin's rhythm playing on Miles Davis' Live-Evil.

The feedback play that starts at 5:55 would make Jimi proud. The wah licks at 6:34 remind me of Miles' phrasing on "Sivad", the 1st track on Live-Evil. Then back to the killer riff at 7:24. Nice staccato metallic group riffing at 8:28. It sounds to me like Aarset not only loves classic rock & fusion, but he loves the metal, too.

This goes way beyond cool guitar shit.

I can see why you're so into this guy & his crazy ass Euro-trash cronies.  
8/17/11 5:05 PM
hugomma
1046 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As an aside, I talked to my wife during lunch, & she asked me what that "cool, kind of spooky music" I was listening to last night. The wife dug Aarset, which is pretty sweet. She said it reminded her of the live jams Prince did during the Rainbow Children tour (she's a HUGE Price fan, we've seen him live a bunch of times).

I'll see what else I can find ASAP.
8/17/11 9:39 PM
Ali
771 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/17/11 9:40 PM
Seriously, his best stuff as just guitar-genius is not on youtube, though some of it is very good indeed. As you're noticing. I was a Molvaer fan first, since Aarset was his "right hand man" for a long time obviously noticed.

This is not so much for the guitar, but... I think you'll like it, and I think your wife will lose it over how great this is, from what you just said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyv6oLI9Mpk

So check that out for yourself, but also make sure your wife hears it. And tell her she's welcome!

BTW, I'm on the East coast visiting my folks this week, just sneaking a peek online, but not around till the weekend. Still, nice to see you stop in and check out my latest enthusiasm. (He's not Frisell, but he has a lot of Frisell and a lot of Jimi about him.... he claims Jimi outright as what made him want to play, and that build of layers of psychedelic just ELECTRICITY is very Jimi-esque. I listened to the live album in full not that long ago with a friend, and then Frisell's "Live" from almost 20 years ago, and heard why Frisell is still the man. But Aarset is definitely my "new guy" I've been most excited about in a while).
8/18/11 4:51 PM
hugomma

Cool, thanks Ali, I'll check it out soon & make sure the wife gives it a listen. Yeah, Aarset's as unique as Frisell & Cline.

I didn't know you were from the East Coast. I'm originally from Jersey & was there last week on vacation visiting my parents & spending time with my nephew. Although I'm not a fan of Jersey, it was nice to be back.
8/19/11 7:57 PM
Ali
771 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/20/11 12:20 AM
Hi Hugo -- yes, I'm from Brooklyn, NY... been in L.A. for a long time now (14 years); my folks moved to Vermont four or so years ago. I just got back to L.A., and the million-degree temperature in my car on the way home.

No music for this week, pretty much. It's weird. Well... folks are old and the one who loved music more is also pretty-much deaf now.

That last link is from a tribute record, Molvaer doing Prince's "Sign 'O' The Times". Aarset's on there, it's just not a guitar showpiece so much as, as you've pointed out elsewhere, just a really good piece of music.

I have to go back to the your post and see what you're digging at the various minutes/seconds points you indicate... glad you're digging some of that stuff over-all though! And I get the Crimson comparison. There is that Crimsoid sense of flat out MENACE, at least.
8/20/11 2:42 AM
hugomma

That was a very unique take on a great Prince song. Didn't even notice the guitar (or lack of it) till the wha lick at 2:25. In a way it kind of didn't matter because the rendtion & group interplay were so unique.

I like Molvaer & Aarset's use of rhythm & percussion on what I've heard so far. It's scary to think that I haven't even heard Aarset's face melting guitar work yet.

I've got to let the wife hear this.
8/20/11 2:48 AM
Ali

Your Live-Evil comparison is really apt, too -- I'm not sure if the wah-wah pedal is on the guitar or the trumpet at that 2:25 punctuation. I think there's some guitar doing that much at a few points, though. (Like I said... I figured out who Aarset was because I wanted to know what was electric on the record! But then, Molvaer's all processed, like Hassell).

Yeah, he's more face ripping, absolutely. Though what you're hearing is pretty typical of his baseline style.

He's no longer with Molvaer, though he's on the most recent Molvaer record. He left at around the time that came out. The new guy is named Stian Westerhus, and he's, so far, filling in supremely well, too.

Of the Aarset records, the only I don't like so much is the most "prog" one, which is the studio "Sonic Codex". Though my favorite is, oddly, maybe the other least face-ripping, called "Connected".
8/20/11 10:06 AM
Perfer Et Obdura
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nels & Norton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vHAM3axZpU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C5ifdRS4E4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENjr86sW6_Y
8/20/11 11:21 AM
Ali

That's a cool collaboration, Perfer et Obdura! I got to see Norton painting for a Nels set, and for the "Red Headed Stranger" project with Carla & Nels. First I knew of him -- that worked super well with the album concept.

Thanks for the links. Very cool!
8/21/11 11:58 AM
hugomma

Ali,

The wife dug the Molvaer version of "Sign 'O' the Times'. She said it was very Euro sounding thought it reminded her of The Cranberries for some reason, although I don't know where she's getting that from. I never really listened to The Cranberries much, but I remember the chick singing in a higher range than the girl (or dude?) on the Molvaer clip.
8/21/11 11:59 AM
hugomma

Perfer Et Obdura - Nels & Norton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vHAM3axZpU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C5ifdRS4E4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENjr86sW6_Y

Thanks Perfer Et Obdura, I have to go soon, but I'll get to these & post them later.  Much appreciated.
8/21/11 12:51 PM
Ali

I don't get Cranberries either, but what reminds one person and what reminds another...

The vocalist is definitely a woman; I don't have the record, but I'm guessing she's Sidsel Andressen (sp?) who sings the occasional song on some of Molvaer's records.

The Cline/Wisdom vids are cool, when you get to them!
8/22/11 11:30 PM
Ali

I just about an hour ago learned of grooveshark.com...

Hugo, check a more face-ripping Aarset: http://grooveshark.com/#/s/The+String+Thing/3mXXfl?src=5

and more face-ripping Aarset with Molvaer: http://grooveshark.com/#/s/Marrow/2HofLt?src=5

I'm just getting vaguely familiarized with what's there, but these are two tunes I wanted to link to when doing youtube searches earlier.
8/22/11 11:32 PM
Ali

Edited: 08/22/11 11:33 PM
and this is short, and mellow and pretty... but one of my favorite Nels Cline things, lately at least: http://grooveshark.com/#/s/Into+It+you+Turn+/2SS1JW?src=5

and with more funk and noise and length, all:

http://grooveshark.com/#/s/Floored/3eKpHp?src=5
8/22/11 11:59 PM
hugomma

That was shot in Freehold, New Jersey?!? Damn, I'm originally from Jersey. I keep waiting for Cline or Frisell to make it to the Boulder/Denver area, but it doesn't look like they'll be out here anytime soon. Frisell play in Carbondale, CO August 1st, but it was on a week night & 3 hours away. Cline looks like he's doing a bunch of stuff in NYC & Europe but nothing in Boulder/Denver. And I doubt Aarset's coming anytime soon.

My god, that gear at 0:11 in...drool...

I though Nels was playing a Casio keyboard for a minute, till I saw his right hand hitting the string at 2:24. I loved how Nels started responding to the the figure 8's at about 4:00.

What a unique combination of art, music, & filmmaking.

Thanks for sharing Perfer Et Obdura, can't wait to see the rest of them.
8/23/11 12:01 AM
hugomma

Shit, more Aarset too.  I love this friggin' thread - thanks Ali.  I'll get to this soon.
8/27/11 10:57 PM
hugomma

I love the sweet, melodic licks Nels plays at 6:42. It reminds me of Steve Howe's take on jazz, for some reason.
8/28/11 12:08 AM
hugomma

That swarm of alien bees at :45 was nuts, as was the spring of doom t 2:10.
8/28/11 12:25 AM
hugomma

Edited: 08/28/11 4:25 PM
Just listend to Aarset's "The String Thing". Great melody, it reminded me of an evil, fusionistic Ennio Morricone. Loved the wha/feedback licks that started at 3:52. The the silence and noisy lick back in at 5:35. The use of speed at 6:39 to the feedback licks at 6:44 was quite unique. Aarest's definitely as original as Frisell & Cline.  
8/28/11 3:01 AM
Ali

Yeah dude... I'm not an artist, but I promise I won't waste your time.

Once your face is re-attached... it'll loosen up again when you hear "Marrow" too.
8/28/11 4:25 PM
hugomma

Edited: 08/28/11 4:32 PM
Just listened to "Marrow"  I had a hard time telling what was processed trumpet & what was guitar, but it didn't matter - great stuff.  It's obvioulsy heavily rooted in electric Miles/early fusion, but it has modern sounds & grooves.  And the cheering at the end - this was live?!?  Wow.  Once again, it reminded me of Bill Laswell's "Panthalassa" remix, which I loved when it came out (still love it, actually, I don't care Teo Macero says).  Older electric fusion with modern production & sounds.  Great stuff, thanks again.

This is like nu jazz appreciation 101, & I'm really enjoying it.

8/28/11 5:18 PM
Ali

Yes, "Streamer" is a live Molvaer record. If you want to play around on Grooveshark, I think that whole record is worth listening to. Prob my favorite Aarset is "Connected" (though it doesn't necessarily have the most obvious guitar-heroics). And that whole Motian at the Vanguard record is insanely good, too. I can't believe it's all FREE for whenever at that website!

Yes, very much Miles-fusion, but a bit more accessible, a bit less noodly. But Miles is grandpa, with Jon Hassell being "dad".

Aarset comes out of Hendrix and Terje Rypdal, and to some extent Hendrix-via-Rypdal.

Frisell is still the best, though. So I pronounce from on high. (Because y'know... music is all competition an'chit....)
9/2/11 2:53 PM
hugomma

Okay, I'm finally back again. Quit my old job & just got a new, it's been hectic to say the least.

Just listened to "Into It (You Turn)" & "Floored" by The Nels Cline Trio.

"Into It (You Turn)" reminded of something off of the "In a Silent Way" sessions, especially with the opening volume swells. A very sweet, pretty piece.

"Floored" was an appropriate title, I don't even know where to start with that on. The opening groove with the drums & bass reminds me of "What I Say", another tune from Miles' "Live-Evil" (I was obsessed with that album for years).

Out of the unholy trinity of Frisell, Cline, & Aarset, Cline has the most beautiful, interesting tones, & his shred chops tend to me more on display (although I would never insult his musicality by calling him a shredder).

I would agree that Frisell is the best musically. Not that Cline or Aarset aren't harmonic godsends, but Frisell's approach to music is so deep and original that greats like Jim Hall compare him to Monk. His ears are on another level.

My favorite of the three is probably Cline for now, although last month it was Frisell, and a couple of weeks ago Aarset left my jaw on the ground. Granted, Cline's "Floored" is what I just listened to, I'm sure I put on "Bill Frisell Live" I'll change my mind (again).

I don't know dude, it depends on what you guys post or what I run into on YouTube.
9/2/11 3:00 PM
hugomma

Well, since I kept bringing him up, here is an AWESOME version of Miles' "What I Say", live in Oslo Norway. Different groove than the one on "Live-Evil", but breath taking none the less.

I can't help but think what any of those mighty, magical, mystical mutherfuckers (Frisell, Cline, or Aarset) would've done with the man himself. Funny, cause this thread keeps sending me back to this stuff. It's like a continuation of what Miles was doing in this period.
9/2/11 10:43 PM
Ali

agreed that "favorite" depends on whom I'm listening to when asked. Or maybe who most recently.

All three of those guys talk about Miles all the time, actually. (And Pete Cosey belongs on "the list", just wish he would get out more).

And that clip is killing. And "me too" on Live-Evil. (And Jack DeJohnette on drums, just sayin').

I also love the 1975 shows in Japan -- Agharta and Pangaea. (Did I mention Pete freakin' COSEY?)

New guy, too, Stian Westerhus. Though his solo album is a bit "too" avant- maybe, he plays with tons of bands, and toured with Molvaer as Aarset's replacement after Aarset struck out on his own. Helluva replacement, too. I'm on the lookout for more that he's done.

Miles, though. Let's stop at Miles for a while, now that you posted that vid!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.