UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Guitar god Nels Cline

9/3/11 2:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hugomma
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/03/11 2:37 PM
I hear what you're you're saying about staying with Miles for a while, but since you mentioned Pete Cosey...

The recording distorts a bit, but you get the idea. I feel like he spends his whole solo driving home the melodic theme. I wish more players would take the time to develop a theme like this.   And my god, this Melvin Gibbs...

Cosey's an under-appreciated, unique animal in his own right. 
9/3/11 2:35 PM
hugomma
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since you brought up "Right Off"...not the '75 version in Japan (according to YouTube, anyway), but the '73 version.

It's such a deep, dark, heavy groove, words don't do it justice. This is really more about Miles, Liebamn, Al Foster, and James Mtume Forman, but there's some great, funky comping at 2:04. Either way, I'm sure you'll dig it.
9/3/11 3:01 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love that Miles. The Cosey clip took about 3 1/2 minutes before I 'got it' -- which is fair enough, given what I'm always pushing at you! Then that long soloing at the end, with what I thought was whistling-unisons (that I figured out is a keyboard, I think!)... that's super cool, groovy. I do wish the sound quality was better -- the distortion doesn't bother me, but the guitar is mixed lower than it should be for lots of it. JT Lewis... yeah. Makes me think of some other great moments with guitar players he's worked with. (Ever check out Dave Fiuczynski??)

But that Miles clip. Right, deep, dark, heavy... ineffable. THAT's what I'm talking about! Comping at about 0.16, too, for a few breaths, and at about 0.34 or 0.35 up past the minute mark.... Cosey. More sparse and subdued and "Milesian" than that 2:04 bit of coolness.

I love Liebman's notiness (very post-Coltrane) and then Miles being so laconic at 2:50passim.

Do you have "Agharta" and "Pangea", Hugo? (I know you talk about the Laswell remix records...)
9/3/11 8:20 PM
hugomma

Edited: 09/03/11 8:23 PM
Ali,

I'm headin' out with the familynow , but if you haven't already heard this, check it out. So far, I've only heard 1 of 5, but I'll post them all here for later. Some really nice comping & lines here.

To answer your question, no, I've never heard Dave Fiuczynski, & I had "Agharta" & "Pangea" years ago. I need to check to see if I still have them. They were great, I hope they're still there.   I may have lost them moving from Jersey to Colorado
hugomma

Part 2
hugomma

Part 3
9/3/11 8:21 PM
hugomma

Part 4
9/3/11 8:22 PM
hugomma

Part 5
9/3/11 11:39 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/03/11 11:39 PM
I mention Agharta and Pangaea because of Cosey. Best examples of what a beast he is on record. They're not necessarily better than Live-Evil (where Cosey is also a monster) just... the guitar thing. Maybe particularly Pangaea, and maybe Agharta's better over-all apart from just the extended Cosey. It's splitting hairs at that point. But those records are bit of a marathon, at least when sober, while also being amazing. Well, you probably have a very good idea already.

I'm probably the only person in the world who also liked Muddy Waters' "Electric Mud" album. And that... because of Cosey.
9/4/11 1:17 AM
Ali

Whoa... listening to "Part 3".... I don't know for some of it what's Cosey and what's Reggie Lucas (presumably?) but I think that's Cosey at about 7:15 through the end, with his weird tunings... Crazy for that chit.
9/4/11 1:39 AM
Ali

Edited: 09/04/11 1:47 AM
If you're curious... one side of what Fiuczynski does... this stuff is killing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHc5oqbFyw

and try this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D45XTnEDNTY&feature=related

Five of the most gifted musicians in one place, actually, in that band. One of the greatest singers of all time, IMO. But the bandleader and "spiritual leader" (as he's introduced at one of these shows) is Fiuczynski on guitar.

Ok, from the same show... this one is a James Blood Ulmer cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEk_LI9iqOk&feature=related

And... from 8 years later and on another continent, this is the opening of another show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6vyeg-_kQc

That top neck on the guitar is fretless, shorter scale, looser strings, because he was doing a bunch of Arabic scale stuff, wanted that "oud" sound.

And if you can stand still more: from a studio record, the obligatory Hendrix cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KI9eJs9JTc&feature=related
9/11/11 1:33 PM
hugomma

Edited: 09/11/11 1:34 PM
OK, I'm back  from a week of corporate training for my new job.  Sorry for the delay.

Just listened to Fiuczynski & SHT.  Very impressive musicianship, & LOL at that Woody Woodpecker theme.  I appreciate the playing, but I'm not sure if I acutally like it or not. 

The singer is incredible, but I never got into the whole hip hop/jazz thing, & never really liked rap much with a few notable exceptions. Same thing with jazz vocals.  I feel like a lot of jazz vocalists try to cram in too many notes to develop their lines, & I'm not a fan of the sound.  I appreciate it, but don't enjoy it.    

I prefer rock & classic R&B vocals (not the pop crap that passes for R&B today).  But most of the singers I like would probably drive you nuts (Robert Plant, Chris Cornell, Glenn Hughes, Ian Gillian), although you'd probably agree with me on the classic soul singers (Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Arethra -  THOSE guys/gals.)

That Fiuczynski guy can play, though.  I love that monster line from 2:42-2:50, &  that beast at 4:01-4:10; very horn-y, if you know what I mean. 

I need to listen more -  just cause I feel that way now doesn't mean shit.  I'll check out the rest later.

Thanks again,

Hugo  
9/11/11 2:05 PM
Ali

Edited: 09/11/11 2:06 PM
I'm going to guess that after absorbing 4 or 5 of these, you'll go back to the earlier ones and hear them very differently. But I'm ok with being wrong.

I like all the singers you mention, a lot actually -- some more than others, but it's all rarefied company. I like Dean Bowman at least as much -- but yeah, he's got a whole history of jazz he runs through in a few measures sometimes. Which is a rich meal.

I should have put this one here, too -- which still has "jazz" flourishes, but this is more a soul/R&B vocal than others, give Al Green a run for his money as babymakingmusic. And Fuze gets to show why he has that fretless half on the double-neck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gCvLpJKvsM
9/21/11 10:27 PM
hugomma

Finally back again - it feels good to be back.

I can see why you'd mention this Dean Bowman cat in the same breath as the Rev. Al Green. In between bitching about my general dislike of jazz singers, I forgot to mention that he had a great tone that was full, deep, and resonant.

That Swahili mating call at 1:29 was kind of goofy & kind of cool. I certainly don't the The Reverend Al doing THAT.

I know this was supposed to be about Dean Bowman, but my god this Dave Fiuczynski. Beautiful vibrato at 3:20. And the bends that start around 4:30...it's absolutely breathtaking when a modern jazz virtuoso flaunts harmonic sensibility with vocal-like string bending like that.
9/21/11 10:37 PM
hugomma

Nice. Holy fuckin' random tempo change at 1:09. Great solo, that the line 3:09-3:13 was killer. Cool thematic development from 3:23-3:40.

Alright, my son needs attention. Gotta run for now, will check in this weekend sometime.

Still need to listen to the rest of that live Miles.

And goddamn it, I lost Agharta and Pangaea, along with Tribute to Jack Johnson. Fuck me...
9/21/11 10:44 PM
Ali

hugomma - 
var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/4gCvLpJKvsM?version=3&hl=en_US", "postVideo-36034516-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-36034516"); Finally back again - it feels good to be back.

I can see why you'd mention this Dean Bowman cat in the same breath as the Rev. Al Green. {snip"
I know this was supposed to be about Dean Bowman, but my god this Dave Fiuczynski.

Well, obviously Bowman is astounding; that wasn't so much about Bowman as you might like him more doing that than some of the other things he does. It's STILL about Fiuczysnki, clearly. Those guys live... it's about all 5 of them, throughout, except where there's a real focused solo. (There's a section that's all about the percussionist, Daniel Sadownick...). I think the guy who gets lost a bit in some of it is Fima Ephron on bass, but if you focus on him, he's ridiculous, too.

Fiuczynski is the freakin' man, though. Or at least "a" the-man!

I can't find my Agharta or Pangea, either, for now. They're around somewhere...!
9/25/11 12:52 PM
hugomma

Reminds me of Living Color, but more musical & every bit as loud/heavy. It makes me miss 90's funk/metal. Bowman's Swahili mating calls are growing on me. It sounds hard as hell to do.

The unison singing/guitar lines that start around 3:23 were impressive. Reminded me of the king of stuff Zappa did with NMB & George Duke.
9/25/11 12:58 PM
hugomma

I like how smoothly they alternate from R&B to metal grooves. I wish I would've listened to this stuff before "Word to Herb".
9/25/11 1:13 PM
hugomma

Not sure how I feel about his one, a mixed bag for me. I appreciate it, but parts are too out there: the opening chords that sound like warped vinyl, Bowman's Tom Waits deliver on "Well she's walkin'...", that wild atonal solo - great ideas but IMHO "Little Wing" may not be the right tune for this kind of stuff.

It may be just me, though. I'm such a Hendrix junkie, & I'm very particular about how he's covered. For example, as much as people rave about SRV's cover's of "Voodoo Chile" & "Little Wing", I have issues with them.

Although SRV's technique & lines on "Voodoo Chile" are impressive, his tone is too friendly, & it almost ruins it for me. Instead of standing next to a mounting, to me, it sounds like he's kneeling close to an ant hill, & it drives me nuts.

And his version of "Little Wing" is too repetitive - he keeps repeating stock licks over & over again. You get no sense of the vocal melody, which is one of the most striking thing about the song.

I can't believe I'm admitting this on a public forum, but that's just my opinion.

The point of this is, I'm the biggest, overly critical cunt when it comes to any interpretation of Hendrix's music. I do appreciate what SHT was doing here, but I don't enjoy it.
9/25/11 1:23 PM
hugomma

I know this has nothing to do with the masters of guitar harmony we've been talking about, but this is one of my favorite Hendrix covers. IMHO, the band, MACC, (1/2 Pearl Jam, 1/2 Soundgarden) manage to put their on spin on a great, under appreciated Hendrix classic while maintaining the spirit of the original. At the risk of declaring musical blaspheme, I like this a whole hell of a lot more than SRV's versions of Jimi's music.

Mike McCready is by no means a great guitarist, but he does a great job getting the right tone & feel of the song. And Cornell's vocals add a whole new dimension.
9/25/11 1:33 PM
hugomma

Goddamnit, all those Miles clips that I posted before with him & Cosey - gone, "removed by the user".  Not only did I not get to listen to them, not only did lose Agharta, Pangaea, & a Tribute to Jack Johnson, now I can't find In a Silent Way. 

I did find this, though - only listened to the 1st couple of minutes, but it's a good quality recording, & really good shit.  I'll post the rest for later.

Alright, gotta go for now.  WIll check in later, will listen to the Miles NPR link you sent me later this week (thanks, BTW).
9/25/11 1:34 PM
hugomma

Miles/Cosey - Funk Part 2.
9/25/11 1:34 PM
hugomma

Miles/Cosey - Funk Part 3.
9/25/11 1:36 PM
hugomma

Miles/Cosey - Zimbabwe Part 1.
9/25/11 1:39 PM
hugomma

Miles/Cosey - Zimbabwe Part 2.

I'll get to all this later, I really gotta go.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.