UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Royler: ADCC was deplorable, despicable, unethical

6/5/11 10:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Open letter from Royler Gracie:

To all my Fans.

Here is the truth regarding my potential participation in an ADCC Super Fight: I received a call from my cousin, Renzo, who told me that ADCC was interested in having me participate in their September event. I told him that it would be a pleasure for me to once again compete for the ADCC organization. Renzo said that ADCC Vice President Guy Nievens would contact me to negotiate the terms of my contract, including the purse for the match. The following day, the ADCC website reported the match and several media outlets contacted me. I stated that it would be great to once again train hard for a grappling match and that I was confident that we would be able to enter into a contract. At that point no details had been discussed nor had I even spoken with anyone from the ADCC organization regarding this match.

Guy Nievens called me several days later to negotiate the contract terms for the match. In my experience, these negotiations are always confidential. The very next day, I was shocked to learn that Mr. Nievens had disclosed certain details of our conversation to the public. Perhaps Mr. Nievens was attempting to trick me into entering into an unfair contract? Regardless of his motivation, it is deplorable that someone working for Sheik Tahnoon would, in my opinion, behave in such an unethical, unprofessional and disrespectful manner. The Sheik is a distinguished man who has been instrumental in the growth of submission wrestling throughout the world. Mr. Nievens’ actions show, in my opinion, an inability to perform his duties as VP of ADCC and unworthiness to represent the Sheik.

Everyone knows that I am a fighter. I have never shied away from a challenge. Since I was 6 years old, I have fought hundreds of matches for free, just for the love of the sport. I have fought under sport jiu-jitsu rules, judo rules, submission wrestling rules, MMA rules and many times without any rules. I have faced opponents sometimes twice my size. Cowardice is not a word in mine or my family’s vocabulary. Throughout my almost 40 year career, I achieved the pinnacle of my sport, including seven world titles. When fighting in a professional event, after years of dedication, it is only fair and appropriate for me to ask for a reasonable purse that reflects my successful career in the ring and my unimpeachable conduct as a professional athlete. Everyone who knows me understands that I will show up to any event well prepared. This entails me having to stop teaching classes and seminars for approximately two months with great financial cost to my family and me. All I am asking is for the ADCC organization to cover these expenses. I am still confident that the Abu Dhabi organization will treat me with the respect that I have earned and will come through with this match in the name of all our loyal fans and supporters

--

Guy Nievens’s responds:

In response to Royler Gracie letter Royler is a true champion of ADCC with an unbeaten three world titles to his name,a true legend.

ADCC goal since 1998 has been to promote Submission Fighting worldwide,having success now with Federations in more than fifty countries.A few months ago ADCC committee decided it would generate more interest in the sport to promote some veteran matches- Renzo Gracie and Mario Sperry is now confirmed,and the idea of a rematch between Royler Gracie and Eddie Bravo seemed a natural re-match.

ADCC secured sponsorship for the prize money for each fight $25000 however, it turned out Royler wanted $50000 just to appear plus the $25000 if he won,that would be $75000 for a senior grappling match! ADCC attempted to secure more sponsorship, until now with no success.Thereafter it was decided that we cannot offer more to veterans than we do to our current superfight contenders Jacare and Braulio. It should be noted ADCC is a non-profit making organisation with the sole intent to make it a worldwide sport. However we would love to still see this fight go ahead.

Both Royler who has competed three times and thousands of other fighters who have competed in ADCC are aware there has never been any contract between ADCC and any fighter, it is a tournament attended by invitation or qualification.

ADCC will continue to promote the sport of submission fighting with the aim of getting the respect and support it surely deserves.

Guy Neivens
ADCC

Read entire article...

6/5/11 10:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Haywood Jablowme
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Everyone knows that I am a fighter. I have never shied away from a challenge. Since I was 6 years old, I have fought hundreds of matches for free, just for the love of the sport. I have fought under sport jiu-jitsu rules, judo rules, submission wrestling rules, MMA rules and many times without any rules. I have faced opponents sometimes twice my size. Cowardice is not a word in mine or my family’s vocabulary."

Not so much.  

Eddie > Royler...again.
6/5/11 10:51 PM
BurnBabyBurn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Non-Gracie family fighters? Let them eat cake!" - Royler Gracie
6/5/11 10:52 PM
lions-d
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so we thought this fight was signed sealed and delivered when infact it was not?

Negotiations should have been signed before any final announcement.
6/5/11 10:55 PM
nhbguy
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

[quote]Haywood Jablowme -  "Everyone knows that I am a fighter. I have never shied away from a challenge. Since I was 6 years old, I have fought hundreds of matches for free, just for the love of the sport. I have fought under sport jiu-jitsu rules, judo rules, submission wrestling rules, MMA rules and many times without any rules. I have faced opponents sometimes twice my size. Cowardice is not a word in mine or my family’s vocabulary."
Not so much.  
[/quote] 

Um, would you mind elaborating on that?  What exactly that Royler said there are you disputing?

6/5/11 10:58 PM
JSMHP
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royler feels he is worth a certain amount. That's cool but ADCC doesn't feel the expense is worth it. End of story. Regardless Royler doesn't have prove anything (and no one on this board has the right as a man to talk shit).

If it doesn't make dollars it doesn't make sense.
6/5/11 10:58 PM
The Samurai

I thought the fight was signed already !
????????
6/5/11 11:00 PM
saluki450

I'm curious about this...

What information did Nievens release to the public?

Dan
6/5/11 11:02 PM
AnotherTMAguy
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"for approximately two months with great financial cost to my family and me. "

According to Royler, he would have to stop teaching his classes and seminars to the tune of $25K per month, which is what the $50K is for.

Is this realistic? I know he is a big name in BJJ but if he has school income of say $10K a month, would he have $15K in seminars a month?
6/5/11 11:03 PM
MickColins
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

saluki450 - I'm curious about this...

What information did Nievens release to the public?

Dan
From the sound of it, he announced the match before any terms or contract had been made. And when Royler balked at the offer, he released the "Royler wants 50k" info to make it seem like it was a new demand to an already agreed upon set of terms.

6/5/11 11:05 PM
lions-d
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

+ 1 mitch colins
6/5/11 11:05 PM
Farthammer
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like someone jumped the gun on reporting the fight was a done deal. I can't say who it was, but I can say it WASNT Gracie.

Whether he was asking for too much is not the issue. What IS the issue is that people thought the fight was signed and then crucified Royler for trying to negotiate a lot of money...when in fact he was trying to get money BEFORE the fight was signed.
6/5/11 11:06 PM
da Vinci 81
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Royler claims Nieven contacted him to discuss contract terms and Nieven claims there are no such contracts between them and their competitors?

6/5/11 11:07 PM
Haywood Jablowme
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nhbguy - [quote]Haywood Jablowme -  "Everyone knows that I am a fighter. I have never shied away from a challenge. Since I was 6 years old, I have fought hundreds of matches for free, just for the love of the sport. I have fought under sport jiu-jitsu rules, judo rules, submission wrestling rules, MMA rules and many times without any rules. I have faced opponents sometimes twice my size. Cowardice is not a word in mine or my family’s vocabulary."
Not so much.  
[/quote] 

Um, would you mind elaborating on that?  What exactly that Royler said there are you disputing?

I'm not disputing anything he said.  Royler said he has fought hundreds of fights for free.  Cowardice isn't a word in the family's vocabulary.  If he wanted the fight that bad, especially against Eddie, who tapped him, I wouldn't imagine $25k would make the difference.

In fact, if Royler won, I'm sure he more than make up the $25k other ways.

6/5/11 11:07 PM
spliffmood

Shiek= ATM
6/5/11 11:18 PM
Haulport

GIJOEjiujitsu -  royler thought he could get a good pay day out of the shiek, thats what this all comes down to.
And Guy figured he would make Royler look bad in the press because they couldn't afford him...........
6/5/11 11:19 PM
BenBJJ
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In on first page...
6/5/11 11:20 PM
lions-d

"royler thought he could get a good pay day out of the shiek, thats what this all comes down to. "

thats what all professional fighters do. why not try and maximize what you can get. why settle for less.
6/5/11 11:23 PM
Biggy
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royler is right on this one guys. And FYI this has nothing to do with Eddie. Phone Post
6/5/11 11:24 PM
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/05/11 11:26 PM
Nievens is right that Royler should definitely have known that ADCC doesn't do contracts for something like this, and Royler is right that Nievens shouldn't have leaked the info. (of course, with many people having knowledge of this stuff maybe it was one of his assistants, who knows - probably was Nievens though)

Royler comes off worst here because no one cares about Nievens, and Eddie agreed to the match already. So Royler comes off as either scared, greedy, or both.
GIJOEjiujitsu - royler thought he could get a good pay day out of the shiek, thats what this all comes down to.

I agree that this is the most probable thing. He probably was just hoping the sheik would get desperate and agree to the ridiculous demands. Or that even if he said no, that he'd meet compromise at maybe $25K to show. I can definitely see that as a smart gambit by Royler, who didn't expect the info to become public. I don't blame on Royler for trying to suck money out of the sheikh.

With the negotiations being made public a compromise is less likely I think.

But IMO, at this point it is in Royler's best interests to agree to the match. This BS has already garnered an already hyped matchup, even more hype. A win for Royler would probably be very lucrative beyong just his winnings - and Royler should consider himself the large favorite.
6/5/11 11:29 PM
Freakin 10er

DaemonDragon - This BS has already garnered an already hyped matchup, even more hype. A win for Royler would probably be very lucrative beyong just his winnings - and Royler should consider himself the large favorite.

Right on the money. (no pun)
6/5/11 11:30 PM
jjj2121

Too bad this isn't happening...
6/5/11 11:47 PM
da Vinci 81
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought Royler had benn calling for a rematch with Eddie for years?
6/6/11 12:49 AM
Mayweedz
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ackward situation. Leaking the info was a bad ideal. Put's everyone in a bad situation. It's a business for these guys like for any other athlete. It's also a negotiation game. Royler probably tried starting high, hoping that they would end up negotiating somewhere in the middle. It's also a business for ADCC even though they are non-profit. Now that this has been leaked all of the other competitors with a big name are going to start to get the ideal that they should be negotioating contracts. The problem I suppose is that ADCC is not popular enough yet to generate income to support this types of contracts (and possible never will). But to some competitors who already have successful schools and name recognition it is not worth their while to play by the traditional competitive win structure-they are risking their reputations without a gaurantee of decent compensation (and their name is what generates their income). Yet the relatively unknown competitors run for the chance of competing, since simply just being on the ADCC roster validates their grappling skills and their gym.
6/6/11 1:11 AM
MickColins
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I thought Royler had benn calling for a rematch with Eddie for years?”

Other way around. Eddie has said he’d only fight Royler. I’ve always wondered why he wouldn’t want to re-match Viera.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.