UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Any interest in watching me work?

7/25/11 12:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/27/11 11:19 AM
 After removing the masking, I clean up any buffing residue with Dr. Ducks Axe Wax. You can clean ANY part of your guitar with this stuff, it's great.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Yummy!

The string gauges and placement will confuse guitarists

With the huge frets the original nut was too low. A couple shims of maple veneer glued to the bottom allows us to reuse it for now. It will likely be replaced when the neck gets scalloped.

Install the nut, string it up, and here it is, the finished veena/guitar!

Here's a headstock closeup to show the string spacing, which is heavily biased to the bass side

7/25/11 12:39 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just for fun here's a guy playing veena in a band setting. Not traditional, but upbeat and fun!

7/26/11 3:46 PM
indian_guitar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/26/11 5:34 PM
I'm the proud owner of this guitar veena that Racer X has meticulously crafted, and documented his work in such excellent detail.

The custom fret slotting was done by Randy Allen. ( http://www.allenguitar.com/ )

Here are my blog posts describing the calculations that led to this fretboard design.
http://carnatic-guitar.blogspot.com/2011/05/geometric-derivation-of-22-srutis.html

http://carnatic-guitar.blogspot.com/2010/06/derivation-of-22-srutis-of-indian-music.html

Glossing over too many details, here are a few general statements.

Modern Western music divides the octave into 12 equal semitones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament

Indian music divides the octave into 22 srutis ( microtones ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shruti_(music)

This guitar divides the octave in 53 equal steps ( compared to 12 equal divisions of a regular guitar ), but only provides frets for 22 of those steps.

Compared to the 12 frets on a regular guitar, only the 7 th and 12 th would fall in the same place, since they produce the octave and perfect fifth.

All the other frets are replaced by a pair of frets separated by a pitch distance of 1/53 division of an octave. The sharper fret in each pair is never likely to be used in Indian music, since those notes can be produced by slightly pressing the string in the previous fret. To give an idea, the regular guitar frets are spaced 100 cents apart, whereas this small step is only 22.6 cents.

I had those installed just for experimenting with chords. In future versions, only the lower 12 frets will be installed. Even in this guitar, you might notice that above the octave fret ( fret corresponding to 12th fret in a regular guitar), there are only 12 frets.

PS: Although I'm not into martial arts, I joined this forum after noticing that many of you had questions about this guitar. Thank you for your interest.
7/26/11 4:42 PM
Racer X

Thank you so much for posting, indian_guitar. Guys, the information provided explains better than I ever could.

This week I'm scalloping the fingerboard. Time is of the essence, but I'll see if I can document that procedure as well.
7/26/11 4:45 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

indian_guitar,

I'm not into martial arts either so it's all good...

Thanks for posting.
7/27/11 11:07 AM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty amazing guitar.

7/27/11 6:51 PM
goodandevil

F'n cool.
7/27/11 9:52 PM
Georbraham Linkington

Never seen something like that, cool project bro
7/29/11 8:17 AM
Rawbass

Very interesting!
7/29/11 12:42 PM
whaledog
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now that we got an explanation, we gotta hear how it sounds!
8/26/11 10:01 PM
Dajuisher
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whaledog - Now that we got an explanation, we gotta hear how it sounds!

10/28/11 2:11 PM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/28/11 2:12 PM
nice!...more!

I've sent 3 guitars to Racer and his work always impresses
1/28/12 9:56 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, that's incredible!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.