UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Does America have it's own defining judo style?

6/9/11 12:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

???

All I can get is that, in general, the USA's newaza is stronger than its nage-waza.

True or false?

Any characteristics that accurately describe American judo?
6/9/11 1:14 PM
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how did you come to this conclusion?
6/9/11 5:07 PM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

S,g, - I think US judo is a balanced judo but it comes down to the individual in their development. Look at Kayla Harrison. She can get the ippon/win thru throws/ground work equally. Travis Stevens gets more ippons on the ground and thus his matches go the distance longer. Michael Eldred gets most of his ippons on the ground. Nick Delpoppolo gets most of his ippons/scoring in standing, very little ground work. Kayla Harrison is the exception in that she can get the ippon/win from standing techniques against world class competition and that why she is world champion.
6/10/11 7:47 AM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

raleigh - how did you come to this conclusion?

I think because we have more guys cross-training BJJ and wrestling here. I could be wrong....

Also, I thought this interview was interesting:

(http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98761&page=1)

"Very few, even coaches, can do newaza. Recntly, jiu jitsu is very popular in U.S., and I was wondering what is jiu jitsu because what they’re doing is judo’s newaza. Jiu jitsu is largely an imitation of judo and they bring sambo technique like a knee-lock or leg-lock. The level was lower than judo’s newaza, but they are practicing only newaza and become better. Even imitation becomes better which grows confidence.

I have a friend who has a dojo in Brasil and some Japanese judoka went and my friend said to me: “My dojo is not high level jiu jitsu but my students beat Japanese judoka easily.” I was so surprised that Japanese judoka were so weak in newaza. I believe it is so because the coach doesn’t teach newaza in Japan. In America, judoka say that in order to win over Japanese judoka, you should go to newaza."

Thanks for the input, JBB. I'll check out some clips of the judoka you mentioned (seen some of Stevens, but not the others).
6/12/11 6:47 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

truth be told, the judo found in the USA varies greatly, far more than it does in any other nation. we have very good individuals and very weak teams. great at some weights, piss poor at others.

beautiful throwing in some, grind you to the ground in others.

there are strong connections to Japan and "traditional" Judo and there are some very good European Judo clubs as well....

it really all depends on the right athlete getting to the right coach.
6/12/11 9:58 PM
Seong gyeong

Interesting commentary. Thanks for the response, Josh.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.