UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> freshwater drum..........

6/11/11 1:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Turd Furguson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't think i've read so many different experiences with the taste of something in my life. i love fishing, but hate to eat fish, but my wife loves eating fish and hates fishing, so it works. anyway, i found out there is a ton of places to catch among other things, freshwater drum in my area {toronto}. i read more than a few times that they are related to redfish of blackened redfish fame {albeit a freshwater relative}, so i thought about bringing one home and cooking it up for the wife.

what are peoples experiences with them?
6/15/11 7:41 AM
Byrd

i wouldnt eat it if i were you. then again, i dont eat alot of fish people on here rave about.

redfish (yes a drum) are pretty good, little less tender than i care a fish to be though.
6/17/11 3:08 AM
Byrd

fly on over jotobo, we can go after some yellowfin
6/17/11 6:01 AM
gatorgar
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, they may be related to redfish, but I don't think I could ever eat a freshwater drum (and I love redfish). I've caught several, and the one thing that stands out to me is how bad they stink. May not affect the meat, but damn they stink.
6/17/11 10:39 AM
Turd Furguson

gatorgar - Yeah, they may be related to redfish, but I don't think I could ever eat a freshwater drum (and I love redfish). I've caught several, and the one thing that stands out to me is how bad they stink. May not affect the meat, but damn they stink.

where are you located? i am in canada, and i wonder if this has to do with where you are catching them. i've seen a lot of american comments, and it seems the further south, the more people don't like them and talk about the smell. i've read responses from new york state and minnesota for example that say how good the fish tastes {some have gone so far as to say its better eating than pickerel}, and others from texas and louisiana that say the meat stinks and tastes horrible. maybe water temp? i know that as a rule, the warmer the {fresh}water, the stronger the taste......

i'm gonna hopefully go out fishing in the next few weeks and if i catch one, i'll report back. i could always buy one in chinatown, i know they sell em there {not a good endorsement of flavor i know, they will eat any fish :) }
6/18/11 4:52 AM
gatorgar
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You may be on to something with the water temp thing. I live in Alabama, so warm water may play into it.
2/27/12 11:28 PM
lionsdengrappler
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/27/12 11:35 PM
Fun to catch, though they seem to wear out quickly. They stink in Oklahoma!
3/23/12 11:27 PM
Byrd

Edited: 03/26/12 5:14 AM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.