UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Getting co-workers to use technology

6/11/11 5:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kneeblock
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never posted on this sub-forum before, but I need a little advice.  I recently just completed two projects to make workflow a little easier at my job.  One was the creation of a drupal database in partnership with IBM and the other was the creation of a Yahoo Group for communication between managers.  Neither of these have really taken off at the job and part of the reason cited is that people just don't seem to want to take the time to get familiar with them.  

Does anyone have any advice on how to incentivize this or make it more user attractive?  Both are being mandated by the boss, but it's easy for people to hide behind their lack of understanding as motive for not using them.  Based on the system logs, people haven't even checked them out enough to not understand them and everyone received training in their use.

Thoughts/ideas?
6/12/11 1:33 PM
OnCall
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you have any budget to spend on it?
6/12/11 5:09 PM
reagan123
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel your pain. It's a tough thing to get people doing new things.

Will you be part of the group using the tool? Best chance is to start using to demonstrate the value. If you are "in" with other people, see if you can grab one or two people to help you.

Good luck.
6/13/11 9:24 PM
Anarkis
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Make it a mandatory milestone for everyone's end of year performance evaluation.
6/14/11 10:00 AM
Kneeblock
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anarkis - Make it a mandatory milestone for everyone's end of year performance evaluation.
This isn't a bad idea, though no one really takes evaluations seriously at my agency and people rarely get promotions.

6/14/11 10:01 AM
Kneeblock

OnCall - Do you have any budget to spend on it?

I don't.  I wish we could incentivize it somehow, but we are a non-profit agency and have no extra cash to spend on such a thing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.