UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> I think Floyd will win but...

6/12/11 12:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chadk
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I can get good odds, I might put some money on Ortiz. Granted, stylewise he plays into Floyd's hands but this could be a perfect storm of circumstances for an upset.

He's 34 years old which is long past "prime" for most welterweights, he's coming off a long layoff (especially for an "older" fighter), he's not fought anyone younger & bigger than him in a long time, and his trial starts the Monday before his fight.

A big, gutsy, aggressive, hard hitting, southpaw with fairly quick hands could present all kinds of problems for Floyd if he's even slightly distracted by his trial. I think the odds opened at 8 to 1, which I think is fair, but if I can get 20 to 1 odds on Victor by KO... I might throw some money down on him.

Am I crazy? Or does anyone think Floyd might not be 100% right mentally and / or physically for this bout?
6/12/11 12:03 PM
RavenFighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Ortiz can jump on him and commit to staying ultra-busy, then he might have a chance.  I don't think Ortiz will win but I think you are not crazy in the least.  At least not for this line of thought. 
6/12/11 1:43 PM
Joe Ray

Floyd is not an 'old' fighter though.

He has not been in any wars, he avoids getting hit very very well, and he has always kept himself in good condition and stayed away from boozing and drugs and crap food.

6/12/11 1:48 PM
Joe Ray

Floyd has also been a fighter with amazing natural talent and athleticism. However unlike similar fighters with those attributes, such as Roy Jones and Naseem Hamed, he has combined them with excellent boxing fundamentals and skills.

So as gets older and his speed and reflexes decrease, he can still stay competitive because of his solid technique.
6/12/11 4:11 PM
chadk
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has slowed down though. His timing is still great, so it's not as noticeable as it would be on other fighters but he is slowing down. It's most obvious in his work output. He's not throwing nearly as many punches as he used to.

He's really sound and solid defensively in his "Philly" stance but he'll have to adjust that against a southpaw. His left hand will have to be up higher, he'll have to move differently (offensively and defensively), and this is where he'll have problems, because he wont be as comfortable as normal. And, you have to figure his timing will be off after such a long layoff too. If his reflexes have slowed even a bit, it could be a rough night for Floyd

Ortiz looked good against Berto but I've always thought Berto was too small for Welter and a bit overrated. Ortiz isn't a top tier fighter in my mind but he does cause some stylistic problems for Floyd imo. If he shows Floyd too much respect early and allows him to settle in and get comfortable, it will be another boring exhibition by Floyd. However, if he comes out fast... looking to make a brawl of it and sets a busier pace than Floyd's comfortable with, it could get interesting.
6/12/11 4:27 PM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/12/11 4:27 PM
As far as "tuneups" go this one is a doozy. Ortiz is probably the best welterweight outside of Pacquiao.

Victor is young, strong, and a puncher. If he shows up with the same intensity that he had against Berto he can give Floyd a tough fight.
6/13/11 6:37 PM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/13/11 6:58 PM
^So you're not going to buy the PPV when he fights Pacquiao either? Because chances are very high that Floyd will just outbox him too.
7/11/11 4:37 PM
Chappie
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sadly bought tickets for this fight instead of making some phone calls and trying to get hooked up. Now I am out nearly 700 bucks and have tickets for seats that I could pick up for less than $100 if this was any normal fight.
7/11/11 7:33 PM
PoundforPound

Edited: 07/11/11 8:53 PM
Hopefully the undercard will be good, Chappie. That's a lot of money for just one fight (even though the main event should be very competitive.)
7/12/11 4:57 PM
Chappie
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound - Hopefully the undercard will be good, Chappie. That's a lot of money for just one fight (even though the main event should be very competitive.)

Indeed, for the money that my broke ass spent, I am fully expecting to receive complimentary champaign and free massage from an asian geisha. That said, truthfully, I think that this could be Floyd's last fight due to his legal issues and I want to have a chance to see him compete live before he is done. Hopefully I get a chance to watch Floyd workout live in the gym when he opens camp and who knows, perhaps he will need a slow, elderly, out of shape white sparring partner when I am there.
7/12/11 8:40 PM
PoundforPound

Ha ha.

If you do get to watch his workouts post some updates for us, please!
8/1/11 5:25 PM
U4EA
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this one is interesting. Ortiz is not a great fighter but he has balls and I think he genuinely just doesn't give a fuck. He will go in and puruse regardless.

If Mayweather carries his left too low, he might just end up getting hit with something nasty as Ortiz, like Pac, can turn over a fast, short right hook in close with plenty mustard on it. Not that I really care much but this fight makes me think more and more than Mayweather will fight Pac. Ortiz is in a very similar mold to Pac.

One thing that is really noticeable with Mayweather now is you can see he is getting older now... I mean you can see in his face that his flesh is ageing. That is not good for a reflex fighter - RJJ started to get the same look on him at the time he fought Clinton Woods and that was right when he started to become a LOT easier to hit. Mayweather certainly has more to rely on than Jones did once the reflexes go, but Ortiz is also a much more dangerous guy than the likes of Woods.

I suspect Mayweather knows he doesnt have long left in boxing and wants the best possible tune-up to get him ready for Pac. He needs to make his money before he has no choice but to hang them up and Ortiz then Pac could well be his plan.
9/2/11 1:21 PM
U4EA
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am getting more and more convinced that Ortiz could pull this off...
9/2/11 8:05 PM
pharochuck
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ortiz then pac, if he can pull this off i think his bank account and legacy will be intact. but anyone thinking ortiz couldn't out hustle him for a decision is crazy. if ortiz throws caution to the wind and keeps coming he has a real good chance.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.