UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Darren Elkins beat Mich Omigawa, what happened?

6/12/11 9:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Skellington
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess Omigawa was paid a win bonus cause it was such a controversial decision. I was out last night & missed the entire show, what happened?

6/12/11 9:43 AM
Elrond Hubbard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

asian fighters in the UFC have to beat their opponents to living death to earn a split decision win.
6/12/11 10:13 AM
Jack Skellington
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elrond Hubbard - asian fighters in the UFC have to beat their opponents to living death to earn a split decision win.

I'm starting to think you might be right (even without the Ken Shamrock referance)
6/12/11 10:18 AM
HogWatcher
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was as bad a decision as I have ever seen. No takedowns in the fight if i remember right. It was a boxing match and Omi lit him up. Phone Post
6/12/11 10:22 AM
BrockbackMountain
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit are you serious??? Omigawa lost?

That dude got lit up and his face was a bloody mess.

I watched that fight on facebook, but walked away to do some laundry before the dec because i thought it was a lock.
6/12/11 10:23 AM
Winnson
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Elkins got a TD once, so although he got the living snot beat out of him, he won the decision.

At the end he looked like he'd been through a meat grinder and Omigawa wasn't even sweating.  Ridiculous.
6/12/11 10:24 AM
Chris Power
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's horrible that in MMA you have to guess who is going to win a fight not based on who won, but who you think the judges probably gave it to.

Going to the scorecards I had this horrible feeling of 'Here comes MMA judging to save the day again!' and figured that Elkins would probably magically get a gift decision somehow.

This is the shit that's hurting the sport - more than anything else.
6/12/11 10:29 AM
ajsr
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a joke.
6/12/11 10:29 AM
JJz

horrible horrible judging, I thought they finally had it right when Buffer said one judge had it 30-27...and then they said Elkins name
6/12/11 10:32 AM
CyborgRoyce
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elkins got a takedown in the first. Omigawa got one in the third, followed by some ground and pound

I have never been so baffled about a unanimous decision victory.
6/12/11 11:15 AM
"onepunch"
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was saying to my budz, Elkins can't win just with footwork and missed punches....then he gets the dec
30-27 total B.S.
6/12/11 11:19 AM
EVILYOSHIDA

total crap. asians can't catch a break not at all.

japan needs to reinvigorate their MMA scene. impossible to make it in the US, the odds are so stacked against them.

bamboo ceiling in action
6/12/11 11:23 AM
Bat21
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CyborgRoyce - Elkins got a takedown in the first. Omigawa got one in the third, followed by some ground and pound

I have never been so baffled about a unanimous decision victory.

Elkins threw a lot more punches that Omigawa, but landed maybe 10% of them. Omigawa was more conservative with his striking, but when he threw, he usually landed. To the judges, Elkins probably looked like the busier fighter, even though it was Omigawa that pushed the pace. Can't imagine what else the judges were seeing, or if they'd been into the BC Bud beforehand, but their decision did not reflect reality at all.
6/12/11 11:45 AM
Steve4192
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elrond Hubbard - asian fighters in the UFC have to beat their opponents to living death to earn a split decision win.

Not all Asians.

For some reason, Dong Hyun Kim and Yushin Okami are immune to the judges 'Asian flu'.
6/12/11 11:47 AM
Steve4192
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EVILYOSHIDA - total crap. asians can't catch a break not at all.

japan needs to reinvigorate their MMA scene. impossible to make it in the US, the odds are so stacked against them.

bamboo ceiling in action

Uhhhhh ..... the fight was in Canada bro. Leave the USA out of this.
6/12/11 11:50 AM
EVILYOSHIDA

^ i meant to say US based MMA. Dana is clearly not calling the judges out or doing anything about this. paying a win bonus is not enough. he keeps paying asian fighters win bonuses but in the end they still have a L on their record.

6/12/11 11:50 AM
Steve4192

The thing that gets me is that one of the judges was a retired pro fighter with a ton of experience, so we can't even use the "judges aren't educated about the sport" mantra in this instance.
6/12/11 11:52 AM
Steve4192

EVILYOSHIDA - ^ i meant to say US based MMA. Dana is clearly not calling the judges out or doing anything about this. paying a win bonus is not enough. he keeps paying asian fighters win bonuses but in the end they still have a L on their record.

Dana pretty clearly called the judges out. What do you want him to do? It's not like Zuffa has a lot of influence in Vancouver. They've basically had to bend over backwards just to get into the market.
6/12/11 11:54 AM
Mayhem13
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elkins def. Omigawa via unanimousassrape
6/12/11 12:02 PM
Nuetraman

Edited: 06/12/11 12:03 PM
the guy who blocks the most damaging punches with his face, wins in the UFC...
6/12/11 12:19 PM
EckY
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absolute joke of a decision.
6/12/11 12:22 PM
Yelm
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is sad that in every fight I watch I say who I think won followed by what the judges will say.  I am usually right about the judges, no way in hell did I see that decision coming.  

Elkins diego'd him.  Coming forward throwing punches>landing punches.  J

Judging was terrible last night.  Maia Munoz i could see 29-28 either way (3rd rd was very close) but a 30-27?  Dana needs to get this shit fixed.
6/12/11 1:15 PM
pcon

Ridiculous decision. i saw the fight. Everybody was looking each other in the ring wondering and they went to commercials in no time. Its too obvious whats going on
6/12/11 1:50 PM
zFugitive

It's one thing to have it been 29-28 for Elkins...but that fact that a judge even scored it 30-27 just made it laughable. I mean, you are not even trying to be a judge at that point, your just sitting their, barely paying attention, waiting for it to be over so you can collect your check and go eat at Arby's.

The entire system is a joke, and needs to be re-worked.
6/12/11 1:55 PM
Mayhem13
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zFugitive - It's one thing to have it been 29-28 for Elkins...but that fact that a judge even scored it 30-27 just made it laughable. I mean, you are not even trying to be a judge at that point, your just sitting their, barely paying attention, waiting for it to be over so you can collect your check and go eat at Arby's.

The entire system is a joke, and needs to be re-worked.

hold up...I get the whole judges suck thing. But leave Arbys out of this..Beef and Cheddars are fuckin tasty!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.