UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nate Marquardt: Win Over Story Puts Me at the Top

6/14/11 3:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheGARV
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAHQ, Click for Sale Price

Nate "The Great" Marquardt is training hard for his June 26 fight against Rick "Horror" Story, who replaced the injured Anthony "Rumble" Johnson for the UFC Live show. The fight will be Marquardt's first as a welterweight, as he moves down from the 185 pound middleweight, a move that is surprising given how big he is at middleweight.  But he feels that the weight cut won't be a problem and won't even bother with a practice cut.  On today's conference call, Nate talked about the weight cut, his game plan and what a win over Rick Story would mean.

Nate Marquardt on Rick Story Fight and Weight Cut
6/14/11 3:09 PM
TheGARV
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAHQ, Click for Sale Price
 Jon Fitch will not be pleased :(
6/14/11 3:10 PM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like people have caught on: The best way to get a title shot is to just claim you deserve one repeatedly until it happens.
6/14/11 3:17 PM
demonbasketball04
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He seems pretty confident about his weight.

Has he ever missed weight at MW?
6/14/11 3:20 PM
RickStorm
1699 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/14/11 3:21 PM
Nates a great fighter and all and it'll be interesting seeing him fight at WW, but I gotta go with my boy from the Northwest Ricky Story!!

GSP vs Nate might be a good fight if he does get that title shot 

Good article Garv 
6/14/11 3:23 PM
K-Dub-"T"
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

demonbasketball04 - He seems pretty confident about his weight.

Has he ever missed weight at MW?
He used to fight at 170.
Like Anderson.
So I guess he also feels it's within his ability to get back there.

6/14/11 3:49 PM
nni
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Difficult to argue with that. Story just beat Alves who is a perennial top 5.
6/14/11 3:54 PM
THE CACTUS KID
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Story>Nate
6/14/11 3:56 PM
Woodford Mike
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm REAL interested in this fight. Excited to see how Marquardt looks moving down and I'm very intrigued with Story as a prospect. Story took a lot of flack for the Alves fight, but I was impressed with him. If he can take out Alves AND Marquardt in the span of a couple months, that's a hell of a run. Phone Post
6/14/11 3:59 PM
j2b

Get to the top so he can not fight his friend gsp? Phone Post
6/14/11 4:31 PM
triso07
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nate looks big at 185. I can't imagine a cut to 170 for him.
6/14/11 5:28 PM
RKing85
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A win over Story puts him in the top 10 at welterweight. That's about it.
6/14/11 5:33 PM
Aces Wild
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RKing85 - A win over Story puts him in the top 10 at welterweight. That's about it.

Yep.

Even though Story just beat Alves, he doesn't deserve more than a top 8 or so ranking.

TBO I don't think Alves should be even close to #3 anymore. His fights with Story and Howard showed how you can be ranked #3 and fight& lose against guys who aren't even ranked!
The WW division will need 6 more months to sort itself out.
6/14/11 5:53 PM
soldierdad5417

N8 the Gr8 at 170lbs. is gonna KO some people.
6/14/11 6:12 PM
The Samurai

Marquardt at 170 is just unbelievable !
Story vs Marquardt should be a good fight.I see Story on this one.
6/14/11 6:21 PM
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'd have a good case for top 5. He was a top 5 MW and Story has a great record. Currently you've got GSP, Shields, Fitch, Diaz...and then what? Kos? Kos has had a spotty record his last few fights. Penn? Penn is 1-0-1 lately and his win was over an unranked guy. Story with a win is definitely at least #5, and I think Nate has a case for #5 with a win as well.

Nate would need more than one win at WW to be considered top 4, but whoever wins this fight should be only one fight away from being #1 contender.

I would like to see the winner of this fight face off against Fitch. I think whoever wins this fight would beat Fitch. Nate especially I think would work Fitch over badly. Don't be surprised if Nate outwrestles Fitch by a good margin.

The question with Nate is, would he fight GSP? From his recent interviews it looks like fighting GSP is now on the table. However I think he'd have to tell the UFC outright, otherwise they won't give him a #1 contender fight with someone like Fitch.
6/14/11 6:47 PM
1800champagne

I don't see Nate having any chance against Fitch. He might not even beat Story.
6/14/11 9:03 PM
Markos
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL too bad he wont get past story anyways
6/14/11 9:19 PM
raf_269
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Story wins. Props to him for taking another fight this soon. I don't like how Marquardt, like Florian, has to move down and think one win earns a shortcut shot at a title.
6/14/11 9:27 PM
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/14/11 9:27 PM
1800champagne - I don't see Nate having any chance against Fitch.

Well that's certainly an...interesting viewpoint :) Care to expand?

Nate has better wrestling than Fitch I believe - both takedowns and TDD. And obviously better striking and BJJ, and much more power in his strikes. He is also just as big, and Fitch doesn't have any speed advantage. Both are very durable. The only area where I see an advantage for Fitch is cardio.

Story is actually the harder fight stylistically for Nate than Fitch would be. Story has better TDD than Fitch and will be more aggressive on the feet, which Nate might have problems with. I can definitely see Story beating Nate - especially if Nate doesn't handle the weight cut well. I have a harder time seeing how Fitch can pull it off. I think he'd either get outstruck, or spend much of the fight on his back.

I suppose if you believe the "choker" thing then that gives Fitch a better shot, but I don't believe such a label is justified.
6/14/11 9:31 PM
Humphrey

TheGARV -  Jon Fitch will not be pleased :(

actually I'm betting diaz, shields, kosheck AND fitch would have something to say about it, since they're all ahead of story
6/14/11 11:30 PM
DaemonDragon

superCalo - Nates wrestling is his biggest weakness

Utterly untrue. Wrestling is hardly his weakness. Don't confuse getting outwrestled by Chael Sonnen of all people to having wrestling as a weakness. Sonnen would ragdoll Fitch with his eyes closed.

Sonnen is a giant 185er who was once one of the best greco guys in the world and has a great double - and, of course, was roiding. He isn't 170 pound Fitch who had a weak college record. In MMA Sonnen blows through guys in getting takedowns, Fitch struggles for most takedowns against the cage.
Fitch has vastly better wrestling credentials and mMa wrestling.

Fitch's wrestling credentials are poor actually. Credentials aren't what it's about anyway.

Fitch does have good MMA wrestling but it's hardly the type to trouble Nate. An athletic guy like Kos or even Woodley would give Nate much more problems with his wrestling than Fitch.
Nate loses to good grinding wrestlers of which Fitch is in the top 3 of the wW division after gSp and Koscheck.

No. He lost to Okami who happens to be a "grinding wrestler" - but it had nothing to do with grinding wrestling! Okami out-jabbed him. Nate outwrestled Okami.

Did you see that fight? I actually read all this "wrestling is Nate's weakness" crap and I suspect most who say it either haven't watched the Okami fight or paid absolutely no attention to it. It is absolutely mind-bogglingly backwards to determine from that fight that wrestling is a *weakness* for Nate.

Okami only landed a single takedown in the entire fight. Nate was 3 for 4 - against a guy in Okami who has legendary TDD.

And Okami is basically just a larger Fitch with better TDD and a better jab. He's much stronger, with comparable takedowns (both are from the clinch). Fitch has somewhat better takedowns but he's a welterweight while Okami is a huge MW.

Okami has one of the best TDD rates in the history of the UFC. Jon Fitch has average TDD (and I said this long before the Penn fight). Nate took Okami down multiple times. And Nate has always showed great wrestling, both offensive and defensive. If Nate wants to take Fitch down, trust me: he will. If you believe otherwise you will be totally shocked by what happens in that fight. Rarely am I as confident in the result of a fight, as I would be on Marquardt vs. Fitch.
Stylistically apart from gSp Fitch is the most difficult fight that Marquardt will have in the wW division

No :) Not even remotely close. Fitch is a dream stylistic matchup for Nate. An inferior wrestler to Nate (both offensively and defensively), who poses almost no threat in any other area. Cardio is really the only edge Fitch would have.

If he fought Nate, Fitch would be on his back a lot longer than Nate would.
6/14/11 11:31 PM
inf0
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think a win over Story makes him second only to Zeus himself.

6/14/11 11:33 PM
jjj2121

Humphrey - 
TheGARV -  Jon Fitch will not be pleased :(

actually I'm betting diaz, shields, kosheck AND fitch would have something to say about it, since they're all ahead of story
I'll bet on Story if you are are interested Hump...

PS it is my moral duty to inform you per Dead Again that I am a scammer.

6/14/11 11:43 PM
DaemonDragon

Oh. And I just looked up these guys on UFC.com out of curiosity. Up to now I had only been judging based on the "eye test", where I analyzed their technique and how easily they got or avoided takedowns, and which opponents they did this against. But the numbers are definitely interesting.

Nate's wrestling numbers are even more impressive than I expected. Nate's profile:

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Nate-Marquardt

Nate has a 73% takedown rate and a 73% TDD rate. And remember that this is against middleweights - and also that this takedown defense number is highly skewed by the Sonnen fight, when Chael had 6 takedowns.

Again, Okami has one of the best TDD rates in UFC history, it sounds a bit crazy to even try to take him down - yet Nate was 3 for 4, and as I recall he didn't struggle to get them. Clearly by Nate's 73% success rate this isn't some abnormal thing, Nate has excellent offensive wrestling. As for Fitch:

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Jon-Fitch

54% takedown rate, 56% TDD rate. Against welterweights. And remember that Fitch has fought very few wrestlers with good wrestling. I've long said that guys with good wrestling are Fitch's kryptonite. Nate's wrestling is definitely superior to Fitch's. Fitch would struggle like fuck to get the huge Nate down, and I doubt he holds him down for long, Nate's BJJ is too good and he's too physically strong. Nate would get Fitch down much easier, and Fitch has never shown good scrambling so he would not get up easily.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.