UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> kyokushinkai karate and LE?

6/14/11 11:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Baki
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey guys,

i was recently mulling about my Use of Force curriculum, and it occurred to me: could kyokushinkai karate be the best striking system for law enforcement?

consider:
-the emphasis on hitting the body, over the face, favours those who have to consider witness testimony in engagin UoF scenarios; it certainly looks bad when you full on throw out a punch to the face of a perp....

-the emphasis on hard sparring and conditioing.

-the karate origins of the art, as oppose to boxing, open up for a variety of different techniques (btw, i'm a VERY big boxing fan, and practitioner).

What do the LE forum members think?

Baki
6/15/11 12:35 PM
Twelve Gage
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have always felt that Judo is the best tool for the UoF model. But the open hand body strikes are a good point.
6/16/11 5:04 AM
Kolsyrade
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As much as I love kyokushin, I would recommend Ashihara or Enshin karate for law enforcement instead. They are kyokushin offshots, and have all the advantages of Kyokushin, but with added focus on throws and pins, that has been basically forgotten in kyokushin today.
6/20/11 11:47 AM
FJJ828
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Speaking purely from a practicality standpoint, when it is time to strike, you are looking for the strikes to incapacitate to some degree or to provide distraction an open up the control holds. Training a specific type of Karate for the specific goal of being better at delivering those strikes is kind of like buying a really expensive hammer.

Do it because you like it and if it helps your arrest/defensive tactics, great.
6/29/11 1:56 AM
Shire
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LEO's dont need karate....they need basic blocking and wrestling skills first. Then some ground control tactics. I have 20 yrs LEO, 39 as martial artist. Truth is..the cops that need skills dont train. www.dpts.us

Shire out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.