UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Royler: ADCC guys are playing with me

6/15/11 6:22 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Erik Engelhart: After your discussion with Guy Nievens, how are things between you and ADCC?

Royler Gracie: No one’s contacted me yet, and I have the impression that if things continue that way, it won’t happen… For now, I’m doing what I always do, living my life, because the guys are like playing with me, right? First they asked me if I wanted to fight, they published it on the following day on the internet and then sent me a contract showing how much they’d pay me, and it said it didn’t matter if I win or lose, so I can’t do that, right? I have my own life, I pay my bills and I’m not fighting anymore… If they want me to fight, they have to do things differently.

EE: Were you upset about the fact they have published the numbers on the internet?

RG: Oh, of course, right, man? He started making comparisons and published many things on the internet… It’s not nice to talk about money that way, right? I thought it was unprofessional of him, and I sent them a letter, and he published a respond to that letter, again mentioning numbers, so I guess now the chances of it actually happens are smaller. I guess it’s not likely, but I’m still waiting.

EE: Did you see the situation like that coming?

RG: Honestly, no. He put me in s really bad position, man… It’s like I didn’t want to fight on the first place, and they’re pressuring me, but I have my priorities now, I pay many bills, I have many seminars scheduled and I’m scheduling new ones for August and September… I have my own appointments and I can’t just sit and way their call with someone on the other end of the line saying ‘oh, if you win we can arrange you a bonus prize’. I can’t count on that, I have to pay my bills, I have my appointments.

EE: So, there won’t be a fight anymore?

RG: Things got messy, but I still want to fight, but someone’s paying that bill.

Read entire article...

6/15/11 7:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
zFugitive
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds like a whole lot of excuses.

You got bills to pay? How about take the match, beat bravo like you feel 100% you can do, take the 25k win money they were giving out, and pay your bills man. Seems like an easy 25k if the guy feels as confident as he proclaims to be.

25k for one match is more than enough to pay the bills, unless the guy is living in a fucking mansion with a bunch of hookers like charlie sheen.
6/15/11 7:21 PM
S Dubaya

BlahBreh - 
Am I the only one that read this in a portugese accent? Phone Post

Spot on. Didn't even realize I was doing it until I read your comment. Lol
6/15/11 7:24 PM
JT42382
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

clearly ducking eddie imo..

however, eddie has another take on the situation.  Eddie thinks that Royler may just be saying all this crap to give eddie the false impression that Royler won't compete, so that eddie won't train, and at the very last minute call the fight on.
6/15/11 7:45 PM
Kneeblock
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royler has 5 daughters to provide for.  He lived in Brazil and taught at Humaita for too long and he never made any money like the rest of his brothers.  Now he's in the saturated San Diego market.  I'm sure he has to supplement with a lot of privates and seminars.  In the old days he used to fight MMA just to keep Humaita's doors open.
6/15/11 8:20 PM
HungryHungryHobo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kneeblock -  Royler has 5 daughters to provide for.  He lived in Brazil and taught at Humaita for too long and he never made any money like the rest of his brothers.  Now he's in the saturated San Diego market.  I'm sure he has to supplement with a lot of privates and seminars.  In the old days he used to fight MMA just to keep Humaita's doors open.
$25,000 to show up, lose badly and go home, or to show up and make short work of Bravo and increase his stock is better than the nothing he'll get for not going. If this were only about money, he'd not train (and therefore not miss any seminars) come and lose and be 25k richer. I won't say here or there what his issue is, but it certainly isn't entirely about money.

If he won't do it for less than 50,000, i'd have to say that half of something is better than all of nothing.

6/15/11 8:45 PM
zFugitive

ChokeEmOut -  Funny how a man with the credentials of Royler who is quite old and retired is supposedly ducking a man that got one triangle choke and has no real credentials to speak of. lol

I'm no Gracie nut rider but that shit is hillarious.

meh I only comment because it's a stupid situation. I get that Royler wants more money...but just fucking say that then. Don't ever say it's about paying bills when your getting 25k to win ONE BJJ match.
6/15/11 8:47 PM
The Horror
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut -  Funny how a man with the credentials of Royler who is quite old and retired is supposedly ducking a man that got one triangle choke and has no real credentials to speak of. lol

I'm no Gracie nut rider but that shit is hillarious.

6/15/11 8:49 PM
ArtWanderlei

So a guy who already beat Royler has no credentials?http://www.perfect-icons.com/stock-icons/small-phone40.gif
6/15/11 8:54 PM
klif
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson once too.
6/15/11 8:56 PM
Tankhead
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny. You don't have to be a Gracie nuthugger to be a Bravo hater. Obviously, there are some people here who hate Eddie and say he has no real credentials. They are obviously haters of the highest degree. Phone Post
6/15/11 8:58 PM
forumnewb

http://www.cagepotato.com/eddie-bravo-talks-about-the-royler-gracie-rematch-situation/

You mentioned Abu Dhabi and how the 10th Planet nation supports one another immensely through victory and defeat. The big news for 10thPlanet recently was that its founder would be coming out of “retirement” to rematch the legend he beat to make a name for himself in the sport. Now there is a possibility that the fight may not happen for various reasons. What is the status of your ADCC super fight with Royler Gracie?

I was in the Middle East training with [ADCC founder and UFC part owner]Sheikh Tahnoon and on my last day there, he told me he wanted to see me grapple in ADCC again. He asked me who I wanted to grapple against and I told him I’d only train and come out of retirement for a Royler rematch. So he said, “Alright, let me call Renzo [Gracie] and see what’s up.” He called Renzo up from his gym, Renzo called up Royler and five minutes later Renzo called back and said that Royler accepted the match. So it was on. The next morning it’s all over the Abu Dhabi website and Royler does an interview with Gracie Magazine and Tatame talking about the  match and says he’s looking forward to it. He even talks a little shit about how lightening doesn’t strike the same place twice and that it doesn’t kill the same horse twice or something like that, I can never remember the horse analogy. Anyway, he was talking about the match for five days, he did a bunch of interviews and then all of a sudden he wants $50,000 to compete. Guy Neivens, the Sheikh’s right –hand man actually called me up two days before Royler told him he wanted the 50 grand to tell me something fishy was going on. He said, “Royler’s up to something here. In an interview he did, he said he accepted the match but the contracts hadn’t been signed yet. I don’t know what he’s talking about because there’s never been a contract signed in the history of Abu Dhabi. You just get the invitation and you go. There are no negotiations.” There’s never been a contract in Abu Dhabi, ever. No one has ever signed a contract.  You just thank the guy who created this and who made it possible for you to be paid cash for jiu-jitsu. You accept it, you bow down and you give respect. You  don’t have a contract. You don’t negotiate. No one’s ever done that. The fact that he mentioned contracts in one of his interviews made everyone suspicious that he was going to try to pull something. Guy thought it was weird. The Sheikh thought it was weird. Then two days later he called and said he wanted $50,000 to show PLUS the $25,000 win money. The Sheikh was offended and insulted that he did that and he basically said, “No. It’s not going to happen that way.” Since then, Gracie magazine put out a thing saying, “Don’t believe the rumors. Royler’s going to do it. More news to come.” I have a feeling he’s going to do it without the 50K show money, but he’s trying to get me to train as little as possible and be as unprepared as possible, so they’re making everyone believe it’s not happening until the last possible minute. Who knows? I’m training hard. I’m thinking it’s still  probably going to happen. I think he’s going to buckle under the pressure. Why he asked for 50K after he accepted the fight is beyond me. No one’s ever done that before, even in the UFC. No one’s ever accepted a fight and done interviews about the fight and then demanded a ton of money. No one’s ever done that. Why did he do that? Who knows? Some people think he may have started looking at some tape trying to study my techniques and maybe he thought it was too unorthodox or that the bout was too big of a risk. Nobody knows for sure. What we do know is he accepted the fight, he talked a bunch of shit and then he demanded $50,000 to show. That’s never been done ever. Who knows what his reasons are?

6/15/11 9:08 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frat...

I think what Royler is trying to say (wihtout coming across like a money grabbing dick) is that he already has stuff lined up that will make him that much money... so if he has to cancel that stuff, the ADCC will have to pay the same (or similar) amount to cover this loss of earnings?

and i agree with him... would anyof you give up 4 moths pay to go fight somewhere to earn half as much? fuck all this "do it just to shut Bravo up" boolsheet.... nobidy will care baout the win if his business were to go under and he is poor in later life (unlikely, but hypothectical senario)

i say just forget the whole thing and let Bravo put his money were his mouth is a fight leandro
6/15/11 9:10 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ fuck "fat finger typing alert" apologies
6/15/11 9:11 PM
ArtWanderlei

This just shows Royler's lack of true warrior spirit.  He sure has the Rickson gene, not the Royce one.http://www.perfect-icons.com/stock-icons/small-phone40.gif
6/15/11 9:34 PM
ElFeroz

I'm a Gracie Humaita student. Royler should take this fight for free !! I understand about the bills and all but, heres a chance to redeem that loss and make some money. I hope he doesn't price himself out !!! Phone Post
6/15/11 9:43 PM
Master Bater

^^ what? Royler has nothing to prove..
6/15/11 9:50 PM
supersaiyan

Edited: 06/15/11 9:50 PM
if bills are so high that 25000 bux cant cover them...Royler may wanna move to a cheap town like Alabama or any "dirty" south state in USA imo and get the hell outta Brazil.
6/15/11 10:23 PM
thebasher

what titles has Bravo won ? oh yeh that's right - fuck all
6/15/11 10:25 PM
ArtWanderlei

He was the first American to tap a Gracie.  Royler in fact.http://www.perfect-icons.com/stock-icons/small-phone40.gif
6/15/11 10:35 PM
TheAlchemist
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Royler. ADCC contacted him and asked if he was interested in a match, he says yes, and then next thing you know ADCC is advertising the match like it's a done deal. Then when the $$$ part comes up, Royler understandably has a different figure in mind and justifiably so. He already has a thriving career that must be put on hold in order to train for the match; and just because so and so is getting X amount of $$ it doesn't mean the same amount is worth it for Royler to drop what he's doing and what he's got planned. For the ADCC to post the numbers and try to to use the public for leverage is BS and very unprofessional. 

Would have been nice to see Roylor/Eddie II, but Royler should walk on this one.
6/15/11 10:38 PM
BenBJJ
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royler dodgy? Nah, couldn't be!
6/15/11 10:46 PM
Calhoon

TheAlchemist - I agree with Royler. ADCC contacted him and asked if he was interested in a match, he says yes, and then next thing you know ADCC is advertising the match like it's a done deal. Then when the $$$ part comes up, Royler understandably has a different figure in mind and justifiably so. He already has a thriving career that must be put on hold in order to train for the match; and just because so and so is getting X amount of $$ it doesn't mean the same amount is worth it for Royler to drop what he's doing and what he's got planned. For the ADCC to post the numbers and try to to use the public for leverage is BS and very unprofessional. 

Would have been nice to see Roylor/Eddie II, but Royler should walk on this one.<br type="_moz" />

Great post.

I really wish Eddie would consider a match with Leo too. Leo deserves to get the payday.
6/16/11 12:58 AM
forumnewb

[quote]TheAlchemist - I agree with Royler. ADCC contacted him and asked if he was interested in a match, he says yes, and then next thing you know ADCC is advertising the match like it's a done deal. Then when the $$$ part comes up, Royler understandably has a different figure in mind and justifiably so. He already has a thriving career that must be put on hold in order to train for the match; and just because so and so is getting X amount of $$ it doesn't mean the same amount is worth it for Royler to drop what he's doing and what he's got planned. For the ADCC to post the numbers and try to to use the public for leverage is BS and very unprofessional.  Would have been nice to see Roylor/Eddie II, but Royler should walk on this one.
[/quote] 

http://www.cagepotato.com/eddie-bravo-talks-about-the-royler-gracie-rematch-situation/

You mentioned Abu Dhabi and how the 10th Planet nation supports one another immensely through victory and defeat. The big news for 10thPlanet recently was that its founder would be coming out of “retirement” to rematch the legend he beat to make a name for himself in the sport. Now there is a possibility that the fight may not happen for various reasons. What is the status of your ADCC super fight with Royler Gracie?

I was in the Middle East training with [ADCC founder and UFC part owner]Sheikh Tahnoon and on my last day there, he told me he wanted to see me grapple in ADCC again. He asked me who I wanted to grapple against and I told him I’d only train and come out of retirement for a Royler rematch. So he said, “Alright, let me call Renzo [Gracie] and see what’s up.” He called Renzo up from his gym, Renzo called up Royler and five minutes later Renzo called back and said that Royler accepted the match. So it was on. The next morning it’s all over the Abu Dhabi website and Royler does an interview with Gracie Magazine and Tatame talking about the  match and says he’s looking forward to it. He even talks a little shit about how lightening doesn’t strike the same place twice and that it doesn’t kill the same horse twice or something like that, I can never remember the horse analogy. Anyway, he was talking about the match for five days, he did a bunch of interviews and then all of a sudden he wants $50,000 to compete. Guy Neivens, the Sheikh’s right –hand man actually called me up two days before Royler told him he wanted the 50 grand to tell me something fishy was going on. He said, “Royler’s up to something here. In an interview he did, he said he accepted the match but the contracts hadn’t been signed yet. I don’t know what he’s talking about because there’s never been a contract signed in the history of Abu Dhabi. You just get the invitation and you go. There are no negotiations.” There’s never been a contract in Abu Dhabi, ever. No one has ever signed a contract.  You just thank the guy who created this and who made it possible for you to be paid cash for jiu-jitsu. You accept it, you bow down and you give respect. You  don’t have a contract. You don’t negotiate. No one’s ever done that. The fact that he mentioned contracts in one of his interviews made everyone suspicious that he was going to try to pull something. Guy thought it was weird. The Sheikh thought it was weird. Then two days later he called and said he wanted $50,000 to show PLUS the $25,000 win money. The Sheikh was offended and insulted that he did that and he basically said, “No. It’s not going to happen that way.” Since then, Gracie magazine put out a thing saying, “Don’t believe the rumors. Royler’s going to do it. More news to come.” I have a feeling he’s going to do it without the 50K show money, but he’s trying to get me to train as little as possible and be as unprepared as possible, so they’re making everyone believe it’s not happening until the last possible minute. Who knows? I’m training hard. I’m thinking it’s still  probably going to happen. I think he’s going to buckle under the pressure. Why he asked for 50K after he accepted the fight is beyond me. No one’s ever done that before, even in the UFC. No one’s ever accepted a fight and done interviews about the fight and then demanded a ton of money. No one’s ever done that. Why did he do that? Who knows? Some people think he may have started looking at some tape trying to study my techniques and maybe he thought it was too unorthodox or that the bout was too big of a risk. Nobody knows for sure. What we do know is he accepted the fight, he talked a bunch of shit and then he demanded $50,000 to show. That’s never been done ever. Who knows what his reasons are?

6/16/11 1:41 AM
K-Dub-"T"

Meanwhile Renzo has a superfight against Mario Sperry.

You KNOW Renzo will be there no matter what.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.