UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Greek Yogurt!

6/15/11 6:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kneebraker
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody else love this stuff? I've been buying the 12 pack of Chobani at Costco. I eat one before I work out, and one before bed. So delicious. No fat. Almost 15 grams of protein. These things are awesome!
6/16/11 10:12 AM
crescentwrench
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No fat no point.  But I don't eat it straight.  I get the plain stuff and use it for marinades or substitute for sour cream.  
6/16/11 6:48 PM
Andy the man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have it for breakfast and i also have it as a pwo source of protein.

For breakfast i have it with almonds, honey and cinnamon.

Mix it up so it's like a mousse. Beautiful!
6/20/11 12:08 PM
Fly Rodder
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chobani is one of the fastest growing companies in the US. They're based in upstate NY and are growing so fast they can't hire enough workers. My buddy owns a small plastics company and the Chobani guys came to see him about producing their containers. He asked how many they wanted and Chobani said, "250k per week to start and 400k per week within 6 months." My friend about lost his shit. He had to turn them down because if he missed a week of production he'd lose his company.

They can't keep up with production as it is and if they expand again, they have to build a plant elsewhere because there's not enough milk in upstate NY to keep up.
6/20/11 2:57 PM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's good stuff although I don't care for the zero fat varieties. It takes about 3 times as much milk to make as normal yogurt which gives it the nice thick texture.
6/21/11 1:16 PM
kneebraker
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

runster - No fat? the thing about greek yogurt is that it has a lot of fat.

There are plenty of fat free greek yogurts, and most of them are absolutely delicious. The only one I've found unenjoyable is the plain variety. Pineapple is awesome, strawberry and blueberry are excellent, there's a pomagranite one that's pretty damn good, and I really like taking the vanilla ones and mixing some fresh fruit pieces with it.
2/22/12 6:28 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ever try making your own Greek-style yogurt? It's easy peasy if you have a crock pot. I'll impart knowledge if anyone is interested.
3/22/12 12:38 AM
ArtisticStrength
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just discovered this stuff..tried it plain and it was disgusting. Put some splenda and some blueberries and bam! Stuff is amazing.
3/22/12 1:02 PM
MichaelVronsky
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mix with some chipotle and a little squeeze of bbq sause and its a kickass dip or sauce for burgers
4/5/12 9:23 AM
Mit
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good info on this thread....never thought to use it for sauces(although I'm aware that it's done...)
4/8/12 9:43 PM
shootfightermike
845 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
4/9/12 11:49 AM
MichaelVronsky
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mix some with tandoori spice or curry pwder and marinate chicken for the grill
6/2/12 4:06 PM
Lobo8
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Freakin love eating the stuff and its low in fat high in proteing. Great breakfest food
7/23/12 3:02 AM
ashleigh11
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i make my own yogurt at home. it's pretty simple.

i make sure everything i will use, pots, utensils, cheesecloth, are impeccably clean. if you don't, your yogurt will spoil within days, even if refrigerated.

heat a gallon of milk on the stove to 188 degrees to kill all the bacteria in the milk. some people use a double boiler, but i don't mind a little burnt milk on the bottom. let milk cool to 110 degrees, and add about 3/4 of a cup of yogurt (must have active cultures) you need to keep the culture right around 110 for hours to let the bacteria convert the milk to yogurt. i place the pot of milk in a cooler with a saucepan of boiling water for about 16 hours. the water is enough of a heat sink to keep the cooler warm overnight.

titrate the amount of starter to use according to your tastes. the more starter you use, the more tangy your yogurt will taste. the time you grow your yogurt culture will dictate the texture. the longer you allow the culture to grow, the firmer it will be.

when the culture is done, i strain some of it through cheesecloth, hanging it over the sink, to make yogurt cheese, and drain the rest with a slotted spoon into quart jars and then refrigerate.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.