UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Pan Frying Steak

6/16/11 12:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sir Wurtherford C Pickelhaub III PhD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What cuts work best for this and how do i do it properly. Sadly, I have no grill.
6/17/11 2:33 PM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can cook almost any cut of steak using a cast iron skillet. There's no excuse not to own one, you can get a nice Lodge brand one at Walmart for less than $20. Sear on high heat on the stovetop, then finish in a 450 degree oven until done to your liking.
6/18/11 10:23 PM
crescentwrench
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, an oven's broiler is an upside-down grill. . .

Here's video instructions detailing what CR1chard is talking about.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yX1Q3x9Cs4
12/14/12 6:16 PM
myersei
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CR1chard - You can cook almost any cut of steak using a cast iron skillet. There's no excuse not to own one, you can get a nice Lodge brand one at Walmart for less than $20. Sear on high heat on the stovetop, then finish in a 450 degree oven until done to your liking.

as much as i hate to admit it, this method almost always comes out better than grilling it. it just doesn't dry out as much.
1/4/13 8:02 PM
Jacob Lamb
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/11/13 11:00 PM
jju
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For pan frying, I usually go with flank steak
1/26/13 7:02 PM
Scott Rotem

NY Strips ftw.
4/10/13 7:56 PM
AZ-Grappler
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
4/29/13 5:19 PM
myersei
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just seared some strips in pan then finished in oven last weekend.  they came out looking perfect - evenly cooked outside with even margins all the way around.  should have taken pics.  pan seared for 2 minutes per side, finished in 400 degree oven for 11 minutes on a rack set on a cookie sheet.

5/9/13 8:41 PM
khd29

Some may call this sacrilege ... The air circulation in my apt is poor and the smell of whatever I cook lingers a bit. I've been using a cast iron press lately. Perfect searing and cooking time reduced. The steaks are not too thick, though.
6/20/13 6:03 PM
Decado24
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't tried this yet but here's a guide to pick and prepare a steak.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html?ref=search

And this article (with slide show presentation!) shows how to cook it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/perfect-pan-seared-steaks-recipe.html

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.