UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW:"Winner of Schaub vs. Big Nog in the MIX"

6/16/11 6:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JT42382
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Say it ain't so!

UFC 134: Dana White pegs winner of Schaub vs Nogueira as 'in the mix' for heavyweight title hunt

Bane_tiny by Jesse Holland

Brendan Schaub thinks that beating Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 134: "Rio" from the HSBC Arena on Aug. 27 in Brazil would make him the heavyweight division's number one contender.

He apparently is not alone.

UFC President Dana White today (June 16, 2011) told media members at the UFC 134 pre-fight press conference the winner of Schaub vs. Nogueira is "in the mix" for the heavyweight title hunt -- which could be Dana-speak for "I still don't know what the hell I'm going to do with Frank Mir."

Despite some big names, the UFC heavyweight division is surprisingly anemic, which means that either "The Hybrid" or "Minotauro" might get first dibs on the strap by default.

Who else is qualified?

Brock Lesnar is recovering from major surgery to (hopefully) repair his chronic diverticulitis. While he's projected to return in January 2012, he hasn't even started working out, so there's no telling what his recovery phase will be or if he's able to resume his MMA career.

Roy Nelson and Shane Carwin, two fighters recently knocking on the championship door, have both lost two straight. Matt Mitrione only has four professional fights and Pat Barry has yet two win two consecutive bouts in his UFC career.

Cheick Kongo is 1-2-1 in his last couple of appearances and those two losses were to Frank Mir and Cain Velasquez. Travis Browne and Dave Herman have great records, but could have a long way to go before they're considered championship material.

And will the Strikeforce heavyweights start to trickle in as the grand prix concludes?

I guess the X-factor here, at least for the time being, is Mir. The UFC could keep him on the sidelines in hopes of extracting one last money match out of him and Brock Lesnar, or the former champ could face the winner of Schaub vs. Nogueira to determine the number one contender.

Unless the Maniacs have a better idea? That's what the comments section is for, so go ahead and map out the rest of 2011 in the UFC heavyweight division below.

6/16/11 6:55 PM
JT42382
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Schaub has yet to be tested against legit competition IMO..
6/16/11 6:57 PM
K-Dub-"T"
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ the UFC Heavweight division having any depth......
6/16/11 6:59 PM
HtownLegend
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winner probably gets Mir
6/16/11 7:07 PM
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would really love to see a healthy, not coming off staph Nog fight Mir again. Sadly outside of JDS, and Cain, the Strikeforce HWs are all better. Fedor, Reem. Barnett, and Werdum are all better than the current HWs in the UFC.
6/16/11 7:09 PM
epwar
647 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JT42382 -  Schaub has yet to be tested against legit competition IMO..
He was against Roy Nelson and we saw how that turned out.

6/16/11 7:20 PM
Captfireeyes
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have Mir fight Schaub. Then have Nog and Cro Cop have their retirement fight. Phone Post
6/16/11 7:24 PM
aces_taylor
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed. If Schaub wins against Nog; let him fight Mir. If he loses; give him Carwin or Big Roy. Phone Post
6/16/11 7:44 PM
Haadogei

303 - I would really love to see a healthy, not coming off staph Nog fight Mir again. Sadly outside of JDS, and Cain, the Strikeforce HWs are all better. Fedor, Reem. Barnett, and Werdum are all better than the current HWs in the UFC.

Mir, Lesnar and Carwin could hang with the Strikeforce crew.

Also, Nog is still as good as any of them besides Fedor. If he fought the same guys Overeem has since Pride, he would beat them all, Kharitonov too.

and to be fair, if Schaub beats Nog and Cro Cop, especially if he finished both.....well that is more than Fedor did to them. those are Fedor's best wins in history. Granted they are older now but the sport has improved a lot too.
6/16/11 8:04 PM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Might want to throw this mix out and start again from scratch then
6/16/11 8:08 PM
JT42382

epwar - 
JT42382 -  Schaub has yet to be tested against legit competition IMO..
He was against Roy Nelson and we saw how that turned out.

i meant a win against legit comp.  my bad
6/16/11 8:13 PM
iamjohnny

ChokeEmOut -  LMAO @ Schaub being in the mix. Goddamn the UFC HW division is pathetic then.

This.

The heavyweight division is the worst in MMA.
6/16/11 8:22 PM
langy889

What do u reckon they will do with the SF HW when they lose and r out of the GP bring them over to ufc or get them to still fight under SF Phone Post
6/16/11 8:46 PM
Tim Sylvia poop shorts

Schaub is never going to be near that title no matter how hard they try to build him up
6/16/11 8:56 PM
THE_PREDATOR
773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So what happens when Nog wins and then JDS takes the title? Phone Post
6/17/11 1:02 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really hope Cruz, Big Nog and Rampage win so it stifles the marketing plans of the UFC to shove Faber, Schaub and Jonny Bones down my throat. Or at least 2 out of 3. Schaub loses and suddenly it screeches those tires. Because Dana and company have been pretending that loss to Nelson never happened and acting like beating Cro Cop in 2011 is amazing. Phone Post
6/17/11 1:05 AM
CRBMoney14

This matchup doesnt make any sense, other then the UFC wanting to build up an average HW
6/17/11 1:57 AM
cweatapeach
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smoogy -  Might want to throw this mix out and start again from scratch then

no shit
6/18/11 12:32 PM
Zomby

I would like to see Schaub get knock the fuck out.
6/18/11 12:45 PM
gabemadrid
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strikeforce fighters would kill schuab Phone Post
6/18/11 1:10 PM
dannyglover
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm honestly disgusted with Schaub's fast tracking to the top, calling out over the hill name fighters and saying a win over a very past prime Nog makes him a number one contender. No Budo here folks move on. At the very least Schaub should have to fight Mir after Nog for a title fight. Although I'd prefer he have to fight the loser of JDS/Cain after the Mir fight. Meanwhile bring in some of those Strikeforce heavies because the division seems to have disappeared in a couple weeks.
6/18/11 1:16 PM
zFugitive

Once the Showtime/Strike-force contracts end, the UFC will have a stacked heavyweight division :DDD
6/18/11 1:44 PM
4thHorsemen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC trying hype up Schuab as one of top contenders for the title is ridiculous and once again shows the lack of depth of the UFC HW roster.

I would really hate it if this guy beats big Nog. But seriously, that should not warrant a title shot. Bringing in the Strikeforce heavyweights would change the whole landscape of the division. I think everyone in the Grand Prix (other than Arlovski) takes out Schuab and except for Brett Rogers, I can see all of them being a very serious threat to Cain and JDS. Phone Post
6/18/11 2:17 PM
mtgclemson

Schaub beats up a old nog = title shot lol nog and cro cop should b fighting n brazil.
I think Browne Ko's meathead and schaub
Brownes draw against Kongo was bs if not for that I bet we would b seeing
Browne vs frank for a title shot
6/18/11 3:19 PM
fiercedragon

schaub win gets him up the ladder

nog win keeps him in the org

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.