UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> A solution to eye pokes?

6/20/11 2:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Samurai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool gifs.
6/20/11 2:44 AM
YonYones

Joe Rogan - 
Ryan Loco - Joe, let me know if you wanna try a Jaco Guardian cup as well.

Not a slight at Diamond MMA, I know many people who use theirs and love it.

Drop me an email at rloco@jacoclothing.com

Sweet, I would love to try it. I sent you an email.

So by try it, do you mean putting it on, followed by getting hit in the nuts in a variety of ways?
6/20/11 2:56 AM
Caleb R
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My first thought is that this is a terrible idea, but who knows. Phone Post
6/20/11 3:07 AM
duckhuntgangsta
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What if we genetically engineered fighters to have webbed fingers and double eye lids? It's evolution baby. Phone Post
6/20/11 3:11 AM
duckhuntgangsta
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What about genetically engineering fighters to have webbed fingers and double eye lids? It's evolution baby! Phone Post
6/20/11 3:28 AM
jwolf

Joe Rogan - I was really enjoying the Justin Wilcox vs JZ fight last night up until that eye poke, and it got me thinking again about an idea I had. There's always going to be a problem with open handed gloves, but I was wondering if there was a solution where we could develop a glove that covered the tips of the fingers and kept them all together like a speed bag glove. We would still have to worry about the thumb, but I think it could prevent at least some of the eye pokes from open hand pushes.

What I was thinking was a thin leather cover for the 4 fingers with some elastic on the sides so that it could spread out a bit to adjust grip. I don't think it would hinder grappling too much if done properly, and it might even help because it would provide traction when gripping that bare sweaty fingers wouldn't.

We obviously have a real problem with the gloves the way they are, and I haven't heard anyone come up with any solutions. I think this might work.
What say ye, UG?

I am a mechatronics engineer. And ,could help come up with an even better solution using newer technologies. I can think of some compuonds that could work really well for your idea. No need for leather.

If you would like to get in contact with me, you can email me at audios_s4@hotmail.com. I prefer not to post my business email here.
6/20/11 4:41 AM
TheSuperiorMan

Edited: 06/20/11 4:42 AM
jwolf - I am a mechatronics engineer. And ,could help come up with an even better solution using newer technologies. I can think of some compuonds that could work really well for your idea. No need for leather.

If you would like to get in contact with me, you can email me at audios_s4@hotmail.com. I prefer not to post my business email here.
No no no email me I'm the head of NASA dog, we just got some new shit that we've been working on for years. Yo this shit is hot man. I dont know how long we can hold on to this, we've been talking to the Chinese and shit, you know they want to come up on this!!! Hit me up playaaa this shit is hot!!!!   

6/20/11 4:49 AM
B_Goetz

The solution for eye pokes is for fighters to close their hands in the striking phase. There is no reason for this to happen other than carelessness.

Groin kicks are generally caused by a lack of speed and accuracy. You rarely see a good Thai fighter hit the cup on an inside leg kick.

Frankly, it reflects poorly on a fighter's professionalism when they incur these infractions.
6/20/11 6:31 AM
K-Dub-"T"

Segal goggles
6/20/11 6:55 AM
Smug Sapien
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

K-Dub-"T" -  Segal goggles

Of all the suggestions on here, goggles seem like the most reasonable thing to implement. Changing the gloves would handicap the wrestlers.

The only concerns I have with goggles are:
1. How to prevent fogging
2. How to keep good peripheral vision
3. How to prevent the goggles from providing an unfair advantage (IE - maybe they act as too much of a cushion and prevent potential knockout)....preventing broken orbital injuries might be a benefit however.
4. How to prevent NEW types of injuries (example - if the fighter gets elbowed in the face, they don't press down into their flesh like cookie cutters).
5. How to keep the goggles in place and stable during the fight. If the fighter manages to escape a guillotine (for example), will it strip away the goggles and they'd have to pause the fight?
6/20/11 7:00 AM
jujubre
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jujubre
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jujubre

jujubre

jujubre

6/20/11 7:01 AM
jujubre

6/20/11 7:02 AM
jujubre

6/20/11 7:02 AM
jujubre

6/20/11 7:05 AM
jujubre

6/20/11 7:11 AM
Smug Sapien
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If those helmets ever made it into UFC, there would be aall kinds of advertising plastered on top of it LOL.

Diego Sanchez with a big Xyience logo for a head
6/20/11 8:01 AM
malryan

kudo and those face masks are ghey.
6/20/11 8:01 AM
vruntson

WRESTLENOW - they need to bring back the pride gloves!!!

Not many people got eye poked with the fingers in pride because the curve that comes over the finger and holds them down making it hard to fully extend the fingers when you punch. its 100% true, go look at old pride fights, all the eyepokes are from thumbs.

I have to agree here. I just put my pair of unused Pride fighter gloves on to check it out. The definitely maintain a semi closed fist position. You have to use a bit of force to open your hand out wide. They still wont protect against the grapplers lead hand eye poke.

Maybe a rule change whereby attacking fist strikes: fist must be closed after forearm moves past the side of body or....only defencive techniques can utilise open hands.
6/20/11 8:31 AM
gabemadrid
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe why don't you build a prototype and patent it then shop it around to companies and make some money! Then hire lobbyists to work it into MMA Phone Post
6/20/11 10:31 AM
ANT_P1989
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best solution for this is a pair of gloves that are made like regular gloves with the padding on the knuckles, but also a pocket covered in thin padding that the hands slide in so you can still have wrist control. They would look like speed bag/heavy bag gloves, except if you turn your hand over, you can still see the palm but your fingers would be tucked into the padded sleeve. Phone Post
6/20/11 10:37 AM
ANT_P1989
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To get a better idea of what I'm saying, just put a sock on your hand, then slide your hand into a UFC glove or MMA glove. Yes with the sock on your fingers can't go inside the loops, but my point is for you to look at the fingers while they're in the sock and imagine padding over the top of the fingers and knuckle region. That way your hands can open and close with ease but its like your whole hand is covered in thin padding, but the knuckle regions/joints to open and close your hands AREN'T covered so your hands can close/clasp. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.