UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> A solution to eye pokes?

6/20/11 2:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cya
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/20/11 2:38 PM
osiriss
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTt. I liked some of the ideas let's test them out Phone Post
6/20/11 2:39 PM
regiondoc
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This may not be a solution but maybe it will lead to a solution. Most of the damage sustained comes from lacerations or corneal abrasions. These are more likely related to the nail or something with a sharper edge, like maybe the leather edges of the gloves. Retinal detachments are probably no more likely from a finger poke versus repeatedly getting hit around the orbit. Its really the blunt impact that increases the risk for a detachment, and I see no way of preventing that simply with gloves.
6/20/11 2:44 PM
FormrChamp

I've got the perfect solution, how about just make a fucking fist.....I'm sure a hefty fine would deter them also......
6/20/11 2:46 PM
TheGARV
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAHQ, Click for Sale Price
 If you have finger separation, does it really matter if the finger is covered or not?  Boxers get thumbed in the eye even though their thumbs are fully covered (unless they are using the gloves where the thumb is attached). 

I don't think covering the separated fingers would help much.
6/20/11 3:23 PM
Naderhood's-Genital-Wart

Lmao I would fight Brock, The Reem AND JDS in a 3 on 1 fight with that gear on and I'm 155 on a fat day lol Phone Post
6/20/11 3:25 PM
BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Until protoype... Phone Post
6/20/11 3:30 PM
BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide

First fire, then the wheel, then the elastic thin leather anti eye poke traction glove.

Such a time to be alive.

Srsly tho, i like the idea. Something has to be done. Phone Post
6/20/11 10:12 PM
shlever
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/20/11 11:15 PM
SPARTAN Athletic, llc spartan.com, Owner
 PM me joe....You can be my partner, I will get them made and we can sell them. 

good for small joint manipulation too... It should just be one simple thin peice of leather across the tops of  the fingers.  

...no I wont hack your idea.   
6/20/11 10:31 PM
shlever
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/20/11 11:11 PM
 although they would have to be closed between the fingers too so that fingers dont get caught under the finger tips.  
6/20/11 10:36 PM
JustinVincible
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i believe the gloves used here would solve the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfbqNZ2s2oA
6/20/11 10:37 PM
shlever

Edited: 06/20/11 11:11 PM
cuervo -
What about just connecting the index and middle fingers? Aren't those the fingers most likely to poke eyes? Would connecting and covering them help?

Spock-gloves...?

this.   

pull the trigger.

(yes I know their training gloves)
6/21/11 9:32 AM
lordbreakdown
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/21/11 9:48 AM
clevelandkid

BrokenBlueNose - how bout the 1st post, did u read the 1st post?

I sure did... and it makes no reference at all to a glove also helping prevent fighters from grabbing the cage.

If you're going to try and bash somebody for not reading a post, maybe you should read and comprehend that post first.
6/21/11 11:50 AM
PrettyBoy
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They should just allow eye pokes Phone Post
6/21/11 2:51 PM
kascr25

A couple thoughts on the subject.

1 - Olives on the fingertips. Works for kids.
2 - Free shot for a foul.
An eye for an eye and a nut for a nut.
6/22/11 9:54 AM
CDarwin
681 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/22/11 10:02 AM
RLL
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Horror - You know, I don't remember this happening as often back in the day. Selective memory, or has something changed?

It seems like more fighters are "pushing" at their opponents faces with open hands. I have no idea why but I see tons of guys pushing with the open hand left and throwing a closed right... doesn't make more since to close that left as a jab to setup the right hand? It just feels like lazy boxing to me.

Jake Sheilds did a lot of this against GSP and we all saw what happened because of it.
6/23/11 4:41 PM
liongear

I was asked a question on that same issue on Monday by Dale Apollo Cook on a MMA radio program "Inside the Cage." We supply MMA gloves to his XLF & XFN promotions and he wanted me to consider the issue...

My initial thought is to have a glove that is sort of a shooto style glove, except the padding on the back of the hand would be extended, perhaps slightly curved, beyond the length of the fingers. The individual finger straps would need to be moved further up the fingers. The fingers would be left free to grapple. The thumb could be treated similarly but would remain separate.

Let me know your thoughts...

Regards,
Stu Bents
Lion Gear, LLC
http://www.liongear.com
918-407-7427
7/16/11 8:20 PM
samcarr6

this would also help prevent people from grabbing the fence. so ye great idea
7/16/11 8:29 PM
RomeOne87
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love the gloves how they are !! As a grappler i think we should leave the gloves as is. Phone Post
4/30/13 1:50 AM
easedel

Brian Rule - joe do you mean something like this?

(mind you this is a quick romo)

^
4/30/13 1:54 AM
rudj
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/30/13 1:56 AM
MartialArtsMixed
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan - I was really enjoying the Justin Wilcox vs JZ fight last night up until that eye poke, and it got me thinking again about an idea I had. There's always going to be a problem with open handed gloves, but I was wondering if there was a solution where we could develop a glove that covered the tips of the fingers and kept them all together like a speed bag glove. We would still have to worry about the thumb, but I think it could prevent at least some of the eye pokes from open hand pushes.

What I was thinking was a thin leather cover for the 4 fingers with some elastic on the sides so that it could spread out a bit to adjust grip. I don't think it would hinder grappling too much if done properly, and it might even help because it would provide traction when gripping that bare sweaty fingers wouldn't.

We obviously have a real problem with the gloves the way they are, and I haven't heard anyone come up with any solutions. I think this might work.
What say ye, UG?
Beat idea so far! Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 2:03 AM
shawarma

Edited: 04/30/13 2:05 AM
edited, want to make thread.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.