UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> A solution to eye pokes?

4/30/13 3:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
B_Goetz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People need to start getting DQ'd for injuring their opponents through blatant negligence. Watch how fast they start closing their hands.
4/30/13 3:53 AM
radiobaby
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What if it were a very similar glove but made in more of a curved way, closer to the shape of a closed fist and you had to purposefully open your hand to open up the glove to grab stuff. Seems like if the natural state of the hand within the glove was slightly more closed might help. Phone Post
4/30/13 4:08 AM
Kick Boxe
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

easedel - 
Brian Rule - joe do you mean something like this?

(mind you this is a quick romo)

^

This is the answer. Dana is turning a blind eye  to it right now, wait til one of his champs gets permanently blinded, then we'll see how laissez faire he is about it

4/30/13 4:24 AM
B_Goetz

There's nothing about that glove or any other glove that's going to stop you from spear handing someone in their eyeball if you don't close your hand.

For those saying that a Pride-style glove requires that you exert effort to open your hand, your hand already works that way. Place your hand palm up on your desk and relax all the muscles in your hand and forearm. Your hand will automatically go into a semi-closed position. The fighters are already exerting a small amount of effort to maintain the open hand position. Requiring slightly more effort isn't going to stop them when they're flailing spastically at their opponent.

People (read: Rogan) need to come to terms with the fact that this is a behavioural problem, not an equipment problem. I'm getting sick to death of hearing him blame the gloves for a blatant lack of professionalism on the part of some fighters.
4/30/13 4:28 AM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet Daddy Bear - Teach everyone to punch like Bisping so there's absolutely no chance of inflicting any damage.

I kid....I kid.
This post is so perfect in hindsight Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 4:39 AM
Collin Reuter
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ -
Sweet Daddy Bear - Teach everyone to punch like Bisping so there's absolutely no chance of inflicting any damage.

I kid....I kid.
This post is so perfect in hindsight Phone Post 3.0
Lol Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 4:40 AM
bigson47

hawaiidave - How about goggles? Phone Post
Goggles is an idea that I never would have thought of. But would they hinder grappling as well? Like with the nut shots we protect the organ we don't want injured, I think eye protection could be the answer to this problem. Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 4:47 AM
Kimura606
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Better gloves is a step in the right direction. Eye pokes are going to happen in mma. Putting pressure on fights to always use a closed fist will help more. Phone Post
4/30/13 7:05 AM
Megatherium
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B_Goetz - People need to start getting DQ'd for injuring their opponents through blatant negligence. Watch how fast they start closing their hands.

4/30/13 7:39 AM
WarAJS

Sweet Daddy Bear - Teach everyone to punch like Bisping so there's absolutely no chance of inflicting any damage.

I kid....I kid.

well this is awkward now lol considering he eye poked someone to bring this thread back from the living dead
4/30/13 8:07 AM
locoslam1970

I like Ulysses Gomez suggestion of no gloves period a whole lot better Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 8:12 AM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B_Goetz - There's nothing about that glove or any other glove that's going to stop you from spear handing someone in their eyeball if you don't close your hand.

For those saying that a Pride-style glove requires that you exert effort to open your hand, your hand already works that way. Place your hand palm up on your desk and relax all the muscles in your hand and forearm. Your hand will automatically go into a semi-closed position. The fighters are already exerting a small amount of effort to maintain the open hand position. Requiring slightly more effort isn't going to stop them when they're flailing spastically at their opponent.

People (read: Rogan) need to come to terms with the fact that this is a behavioural problem, not an equipment problem. I'm getting sick to death of hearing him blame the gloves for a blatant lack of professionalism on the part of some fighters.
Correct! Automatic point deduction for any poke. Watch this problem dissapear Phone Post
4/30/13 10:24 AM
The Sauce
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan - [quote]Bentleysuper8 - Is Joe trolling us? Out of curiosity, how many fights get stopped for other reasons? Nut shots or whatever. Is eye poking really so rampant that we need to change the gloves? I'd be interested to see UFC stats.[/quote] 

Diamond MMA might very well have a solution for nut shots.  They have a special cup with a pair of compression shorts that keep everything in place.  They're sending me over one to try, and they're very confident about their product.  I'm looking forward to trying it out, and if it works I'm going to promote it as much as possible.

http://www.diamondmma.com/
I own one and it really works!! I've been bagged a lot with it in and had zero issues!!

I just hate the long shorts.. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 7:09 AM
Megatherium
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/09/13 4:04 AM
PRIDE
5/2/13 7:46 AM
Joeymarvelous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was thinking something with webbed fingers, and some sort of soft, bulbous thumb cover. Goggles would be good if they can be made to not slip off during scrambles. Phone Post
5/8/13 8:21 PM
wreckker
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most of the time its fighters fault

Stop Poking!!!!!! Phone Post
5/8/13 11:36 PM
AKRich907
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hghj Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 11:53 PM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have eye poking be penalized to a point an opponent cannot continue with a Loss via DQ and watch how many people close there damn hands.

Its all these guys who just throw out an open hand, thats the eye pokes. Make the fighters actively think about not poking anyone in theye and have the punishment be a loss via DQ and see how fast they disappear.
5/9/13 2:39 AM
DeWebb

TheOne - Have eye poking be penalized to a point an opponent cannot continue with a Loss via DQ and watch how many people close there damn hands.

Its all these guys who just throw out an open hand, thats the eye pokes. Make the fighters actively think about not poking anyone in theye and have the punishment be a loss via DQ and see how fast they disappear.
But then you'll get people faking it, or when someone gets punched in the eye they'll act like a poke. The eye pokes can be easily missed as it happens so fast.

Whilst in theory deducting points is a good idea, it would be hard to implement without the use of slow motion replay for another official cageside. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.