UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> GM Proving Grounds, from inside my Falcon wagon

6/21/11 10:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pig Bun
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

13+ minute tour of the General Motors Proving Grounds, taken from inside my Falcon wagon, as we were leaving the 2011 Hot Rod Power Tour "Long Hauler" ceremony. Not too many people have gotten to see inside this place. We were told we were the largest group ever let in there.
6/27/11 12:36 AM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/27/11 12:37 AM
That's really cool....I like driving where you should not be.

Looks like they have every type of road sampling you would ever run into.

http://www.performancepowerracing.com/images/ImageGallery/2011_Guinness_World_Record/med/_MG_9763_resize.jpg
7/12/11 11:13 AM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got a bunch of friends there.

See anything cool?

Mark
7/12/11 3:20 PM
Pig Bun
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark1 -  Got a bunch of friends there.

See anything cool?

Mark

Mark, they told us that all the really cool stuff had been locked inside of some building, which was inside of a bigger locked-up building, that was locked-up where we couldn't get to it :-)

There were cars in the white/black "camo" paint, but they mostly looked liked older things that are already in production.

GMI recruited me when I was in high school ('83-84). We had a lot of family problems at the time, and I couldn't bring myself to move away. I had an odd feeling as I drove around the Milford facility, like it was a place I was supposed to be. Oh well, I'm quite happy with my life as it is :-)
7/12/11 5:07 PM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"There were cars in the white/black "camo" paint, but they mostly looked liked older things that are already in production."

Those are test mules, actually.  They mostly are new platforms and powertrains under current models.  Like the fleet of Volt test mules were Malibus on the outside with Volt powertrains underneath.

I see test mules all over town, actually.

The newest models will be covered in a black vinyl tarp mostly to complete disguise the body.  But those are generally in the final build stages before production.  Most stuff exists on computers until very near production.

Mark

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.