UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Is TKD really from Shotokan?

2/19/12 12:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HUMBLED1
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/19/12 12:35 PM
 I trained TKD under a black belt by the name of Rob Hunt who recieved his training from Master IK Kim. This below is directly from Mater Kim's  page. The belt color ranking we used was wht,yllw.blue, brown,red,black. I made it to red tip brown belt. I fought in a couple of tournaments and still have my ted tabura/dan sawyer trophy. I learned judo like throws,sweeps and even some chokes,like a lapel choke/sweep for example,people seem to forget about that part.

Grand Master Il-Kwon Kim, is the founder and President of the I. K. Kim Ja Be Ryu Tae Kwon Do Organization and a 9th degree black belt.  Grand Master Kim is also President of the World Martial Arts Federation and an internationally-known authority on martial arts.

Grand Master Kim was born in Korea and started training at the age of 7.  His love of the martial arts brought him to the United States where in 1967 he started the I. K. Kim Tae Kwon Do Centers.  Grand Master Kim studied under Grand Master Byung-Jik Ro who studied under Grand Master Gichin Funakoshi.  Ja Be Ryu is the style that has resulted from Grand Master Kim's over 50 years of experience.

Grand Master Kim circulates throughout the different branches of the school, ensuring that the highest standards of instruction are being maintained.

2/19/12 10:19 PM
yusul
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/20/12 9:30 PM
<blockquote>shen - <br /><br />I liked the book quite a bit, it was right up my alley.<br /><br />I have been interested in KMA history since I was a kid in Hapkido where we were literally taught that Hapkido was "a 1,000 year old martial art, created by our teacher's teacher"<br /><br />--Wait, what...?<br /><br />If you know anything about KMAs you know they are rife with B.S. in terms of history, for all sorts of reasons --FAR more so than Japanese Martial Arts. I've always found that kinda fascinating.<br /><br />But the problem is, relatively few people seem to seriously study the real history of KMAs compared to Japanese or Chinese Martial arts. <br /><br />Anyway, fun read for anyone from any style that is into martial arts history. And it really answers the OP's question like a m-fer.</blockquote><br /><br />

i agree with the serious study part.

with regard to hapkido, in primary source interviews, choi always confirmed that he learned from a japanese jujutsu master while he was living there, and first generation students confirm this.

i originally thought it was exaggeration when they say some martial arts are 1000 years old, but if you look at the spirit and philosophy, which are the engine behind movement, then you actually can see a difference. for example, japanese katana movements are straight and often more linear and to the point, while chinese are more circular and precise; movement is the manifestation of philosophy.

taekyon was already practiced by many of the first gen hkd practitioners, and the elements of movment and kicking were added then.

i talked to a prominent hapkido instructor who said the the original hapkido kicking (which i've rarely seen), is based on the mudang (shaman) dance patterns.

unfortunately, few people have seen them, even on youtube.

also shen, the secret inspectors were called Amhaeng osa
3/2/12 1:40 AM
yusul
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i talked to the instructor again and he talked about japanese sword being about 'speed cut', while chinese and korean sword are more about circular and 'follow through'. he actually demo'd it, which i've never seen before.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.