UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> TJ Grant vs Charlie Brenneman fight called off

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/22/11 3:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HighFreq
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From UFC Twitter:

TJ Grant sick; fight vs Charlie Brenneman on Sunday scrapped. If you see Joe Silva around Pittsburgh, give him a hug. Get well soon TJ!
6/22/11 4:45 PM
HighFreq
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From MMAJunkie
http://mmajunkie.com/news/24091/t-j-grant-withdraws-from-ufc-on-versus-4-fight-with-charlie-brenneman-scrapped.mma

T.J. Grant withdraws from UFC on Versus 4, fight with Charlie Brenneman scrapped

Canadian welterweight T.J. Grant (16-5 MMA, 3-3 UFC) has fallen ill and will be unable to fight Charlie Brenneman (12-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at UFC on Versus 4.

The UFC today announced the change via Twitter and said that officials weren't able to find Brenneman a replacement opponent in time for the event, which takes place Sunday at CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh.

It's the second opponent to fall through for Brenneman, who was originally scheduled to meet Matt Riddle before he withdrew from the event.

A Pennsylvania native, Brenneman looked to build on a January decision win over Amilcar Alves. The victory came after a TKO loss to Johny Hendricks at UFC 117 that snapped a six-fight win streak for "The Spaniard."

A timetable for Brenneman's return is unknown, as it is with Grant.
6/22/11 5:14 PM
MM-eh
947 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/22/11 5:14 PM
 MM-eh.ca has learned that Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia’s T.J. Grant (16-5) has withdrawn from his planned bout vs. Charlie Brenneman (13-2) at UFC Live 4 this Saturday in Pittsburgh’s Consol Energy Center.

Grant had been feeling a little fatigued this past weekend, but his team thought that a few days of rest would help him to feel better.

When this Monday came around and he had no energy while working out, Grant informed UFC staff of the issue.

That day he expressed his frustration to MM-eh, saying that he didn’t feel the way a professional fighter should feel after an 8-week training camp designed to have him peak this weekend.
Read TJ's comments here

6/22/11 5:17 PM
HOWtasteMYbigPP
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That sucks for Brenneman.
6/22/11 5:25 PM
HighFreq

Brenneman is from Pennsylvania, so I am sure he is disappointed he can't fight in front of a home crowd. He probably had a lot of family and friends coming to the fight.
6/22/11 5:29 PM
tjmitch
433 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well that sucks.
6/22/11 6:13 PM
Nanook
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grant was supposed to fight Riddle, not Brenneman. Either way, this is a very tough break for him. Noone was looking forward to fighting on this card more than him, and with Hollidaysburg being a 2 hour trek up the 22 or PA Turnpike from Pittsburgh, he had a lot of hometowners coming to the fights too.

Initially when Kampmann was forced off the card, I was hopeful they would have had a Brenneman - Howard rematch, with Brown fighting Grant? Either way, bad break for Charlie.
6/22/11 6:45 PM
Hate420
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously...it's the UFC,how can they not find a replacement in time?
6/22/11 7:15 PM
fakezaga
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crappy deal for both fighters.

TJ is a hard-working guy and a helluva fighter. He deserves a lot more play than he's received in the UFC. He has had six UFC fights - including one KO of the night - and not one fight has been shown on the PPV.

A few guys at our gym went down to strep recently. I haven't talked to TJ in the last couple days, but I'm assuming he caught it, too. Shitty.
6/22/11 11:11 PM
HighFreq

http://charlie-brenneman.tumblr.com/post/6813308680/i-wanted-to-let-you-all-know-that-my-fight

According to Charlie Brenneman, TJ Grant came down with pneumonia.
6/22/11 11:32 PM
soldierdad5417
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HOWtasteMYbigPP - That sucks for Brenneman.

This, wanted to see the dude from PA kick some ass.
6/23/11 12:12 AM
Brian McLaughlin
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel for Charlie, he trained SUPER hard for this fight, plus it was in his stomping grounds of PA. I've never seen him look this good before a fight
6/23/11 12:23 AM
Aces Wild
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Charlie Brennamen was VERY impressive against Johnny Hendricks. I'm not too sure how good Johnny Hendricks is though. I know he's a legit collegiate wrestler, but only time will tell if he's a fabricated Zuffa product. TJ Grant got KO'ed on TUF, and lost in the UFC rather easy iirc. If one fight had to get pulled I'd choose this one.
6/23/11 12:35 AM
HighFreq

TJ Grant was never on TUF. Phone Post
6/23/11 12:38 AM
Jack Skellington
969 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this sucks!!

always look forward to TJ's fights
6/23/11 12:44 AM
Aces Wild
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HighFreq - TJ Grant was never on TUF.

Oh I'm thinking of TJ O'Brian. The guy that got KO'd by Mini-Kos and got lit up by Paul Kelly.
6/23/11 1:47 AM
soldierdad5417

Brian McLaughlin - I feel for Charlie, he trained SUPER hard for this fight, plus it was in his stomping grounds of PA. I've never seen him look this good before a fight

I'm from the other side of PA and I'll let Charlie kick the shit out of me for free on TV if he doesn't want to waste all that hard work.
6/23/11 5:26 AM
fakezaga
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aces Wild - Charlie Brennamen was VERY impressive against Johnny Hendricks. I'm not too sure how good Johnny Hendricks is though. I know he's a legit collegiate wrestler, but only time will tell if he's a fabricated Zuffa product. TJ Grant got KO'ed on TUF, and lost in the UFC rather easy iirc. If one fight had to get pulled I'd choose this one.

You fucked up on the TUF thing and you should see TJ's fight against Hendricks. He only lost the decision because he hoofed Hendricks in the balls twice. It would have been at least a draw if not for that. And had TJ not got a little too excited and landed that first nutshot he probably would have finished Hendricks in Round 1.
6/23/11 5:50 AM
nostripewhite

Edited: 06/23/11 5:50 AM
Aces Wild - TJ Grant got KO'ed on TUF, and lost in the UFC rather easy iirc.

You remember incorrectly.
6/23/11 6:00 AM
fabes
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sucks for Charlie. 
6/23/11 6:08 PM
Aces Wild

nostripewhite - 

Do you guys even read the thread before commenting?

Or do you just compulsively have to respond to each post before finishing the page?

Read 5 posts up Einstein.
6/23/11 7:15 PM
Fighttrader

Charlie was offered an opponent...Paul Bradley and his team turned the fight down. Paul accepted the fight on like 4 days notice too.
6/23/11 7:32 PM
nostripewhite

Aces Wild - 
nostripewhite - 

Do you guys even read the thread before commenting?

Or do you just compulsively have to respond to each post before finishing the page?

Read 5 posts up Einstein.

Just getting my post count up.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.