UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Takedown / throwing dummy?

6/23/11 2:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TEOMOFE
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(Sorry if this double posts: shitty PC)

Hi guys. So, I'm a judoka with around 15yrs of judo experience (and abt a year of freestyle). Some time ago I ended up fucking my ACL over, which pretty much means no throwing/pickups etc.

Wanted to ask if a wrestling dummy might be a good and safe alternative to keep me at least somewhat from going rusty. Eg: This guy seems to make them look pretty snazzy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jAyVu_xtqc

I know wrestlers train with takedown dummies (never seen one in a judo dojo), so I wanted to ask - have you found them ok for training / remotely anything like the real thing? (I suppose it's kinda like having to gum your food with false teeth, but I'll take what I can get).

I never really had a chance to try one of these things IRL, so wanted to canvass your opinions
6/23/11 2:51 PM
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only dummy I have personal experience with is an first generation of the Bubba dummy sold by I&I sports. It was the old green one that you could hang up like a heavy bag or toss around and grapple with. All in all it was pretty cool because it had hands and feet that were fairly moveable, and it was a goof 6ft tall if I'm not mistaken. Made out of pretty tough material as well. The main downfall, however, was that it didn't feel like it weighed anything, so when you were practicing throws it basically like throwing around an inflatable doll(not that I have any experience with that! lol).

That said, the one you linked to looks nice, and virtually identical to the one that title boxing sells(though title offers one that is one size taller/heavier than the company you linked to). And considering the price of the dummy and that they're pretty stout and have 4 useable limbs, I think it looks like a good buy, and one that I've been chewing over for quite awhile.

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-freestyle-throwing-grappling-dummies.html

TrainJudo is seen using a blue dummy in his martial comedy clips that looks pretty stout as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8v9nZeqco

Not sure who makes it though. But as it lands, it definitely looks/sounds like it's heavy enough to at least mimic the feel of throwing a real person.
6/23/11 3:01 PM
TEOMOFE
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/23/11 3:04 PM
Hey Missing Glove Tape

Yeah - I've seen those green ones (they still sell them on Ebay sometimes) and was always kinda curious about them.

I've seen clips of the bubby dummy on Youtube, and the thing always looked too light for throwing.

I'd love to get something that's a cross over between these throwing dummy and something like the submission master (so that the legs can curl up into turtle / four quarters position). If anyone knows of anything like that, please let me know.

Anyway, does anyone else have any experiences to add re: the above linked throwing dummies?

EDIT TO ADD: That Blue dummy in the video is - oddly enough - called Big Blue Dummy (sold by OK-Fine). It's a little different then the *boxing bag with arms* style we both cited though
6/26/11 12:20 PM
TEOMOFE

Anyone?
6/28/11 12:37 PM
HULC
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if anyone will find this useful, but here's a post on building a DIY dummy from one of the old school members of this board:

"Subject: RE: INFO
Date: |

Episode 3: How to make a friend who never eats. And a tribute to a true hero to cheap bastard martial artists: Chuck Lidell, warrior accountant.

Caveat: out of respect for fellow UG member Bubbamaker, I’m not going to compare the cheap bastard grappling dummy with Bubba, other than to say his is the far superior product and you should buy it. But if you’re hard up for cash and determined to make your own on the cheap, read on.

To my mind, for a serious grappler a grappling dummy is priceless (BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That’s a little cheap bastard humor. Nothing is priceless, bastards). But a good one does cost some serious $$$$$$, which, of course, is unacceptable. So: how to make your own?

Are you aware that every day, thousands of people throw away perfectly good useless crap? Worn out rugs and clothes are a case in point. Often people will throw these on the curb, and if you don’t act quickly they could end up in the hands of an unfortunate. [Note: here’s where those straps from episode 2 could come in handy!] Bastards, make sure you get there first and get those clothes and any scraps of rug – you’re going to make your grappling dummy and rolling area with them! Or, better yet: do you have a significant other who refuses to throw away clothes that s/he rarely wears but that take up drawer and/or closest space. Those clothes are no different than squatters in your home, bastards – tenants who occupy space and give you nothing of value in return. And we haven’t even mentioned clothing Christmas presents.

In an ideal world, you would get hold of a “union suit”: those one-piece pajamas (the kind with feet are best) associated with pioneers and women in L.L. Bean catalogs. I was lucky: my wife’s union suit shrank in the wash and became useless to her. It didn’t have feet, but that’s ok. That’s why god invented needles and thread. But, you say, I can’t sew. Quit whining, bastard. My stitch job looks like Marthas Stewart on acid and it works fine. Also, set aside some sturdy old pants such as jeans; a sweatshirt (especially a hooded sweatshirt if you can); and if you don’t have a hooded sweatshirt, one pillowcase.

(continued)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: INFO

If you have a union suit, just follow these instructions. If you can’t find one, just skip the part about the union suit and just use the outer layer pants and sweatshirt in the same manner as described below. We’ll make another modification for you later.

First, sew the opening at the feet and hands of the union suit closed. Sew the legs of the jeans shut and put the union suit legs inside the jeans legs. Begin filling the suit with clothes you have rescued from the curb, stolen from your loved ones, or received for christmas.

This is important: fill the suit evenly and tightly from end to end, but also fill it from top to bottom and leave room at the top. There are going to be 3 distinct layers here, so picture an oreo. Right now, you are filling out the bottom piece of the cookie.

Once the clothes are packed tightly from end to end but not from top to bottom, got get yourself 5 coat hangers. If you’ve stolen well from your beloved, you should have at least 5 available. Unwind them and straighten them out. Now use a straightened hanger as the next layer in each limb of the dummy. In other words, slide a hanger in each leg and arm, resting on top of the clothes you’ve already packed in. Do the same with the fifth hanger so that it goes up the middle of the torso and sticks out of the neck area about 6 inches.

Now put the top layer of the oreo on by packing in more clothes on top of the hanger and other clothes aleady packed in. If you have a pillow available, use it as the top layer running from the waist (just below the pant line) to the chest or neck. Pack it solidly and get it all closed up. If you’ve packed it solidly enough, it should be difficult to zip and button the jeans and to button the top of the union suit (assuming it has buttons of course).

Leaving the dummy for a moment, take the sweatshirt and sew the hand openings shut. If the sweatshirt is hooded, sew the hood closed. If not, take the pillow case and cut it in half across its width (when you’re done you have one piece open on both ends and one closed on one end). Take the top half of the pillow case ( the half that has a closed end) and sew the open end of that half around the collar of the sweatshirt. Important: don’t sew the pillowcase closed; you are basically putting a closed hood on the sweatshirt. Again, sewing skill is irrelevant. Just sew the fucker about a 1000 times to get it on tight.

Finally, fill the hood solidly with clothes and put the sweatshirt on the dummy. The hanger wire should stick into its head. If you didn’t have a union suit, you’ve got one final step: Sew the bottom of the sweatshirt to the waistband of the jeans. Again, don’t sew them shut off to each other. You are basically making a union suit from them.

(continued)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: INFO

Your done!! Place any rug scraps you found on the floor of your garage gym and go at it! (Btw, the rug scraps have independent value in cushioning you legs when doing bag work, the rower thing and lifts. They really are essential).

The hanger wires will allow you to place the dummy into various positions it can hold and will prevent the head and limbs from being too floppy. It will also offer enough resistance that you can place your hands and body in proper position for various submissions. I’ve had mine for about four weeks now and it has held up great. And man, what a difference when you can practice the positions and submissions from class at home!!

When you are done using it, lay it on your bench as if it’s doing a bench press. Not only does this prevent it from occupying any floor space independently, it will scare the hell out of anyone who enters your garage thinking they are alone.

Don’t forget to name your dummy. I named mine Gracie.

It sounds like it takes a long time, but it really doesn’t. After gathering up the clothes, it took me less than 2 hours. And let me reiterate: I SUCK at sewing. It doesn’t matter as long as you put lots of stitches in. Elegance is not a trait of cheap bastards.

For me, Gracie cost nothing, a savings of approximately $300 over buying a grappling dummy. I didn’t buy a thing. And it takes no floor space in addition to the bench, which is a requisite of my home gym anyway. That’s it, you bastards; go at it!

Tribute section: Chuck Lidell is an inspiration to cheap bastard martial artists everywhere. To see an ACCOUNTANT – on of US – finally kicking the shit out of the same muscled-up bullies and pretty boys who made high school a living hell, well . . . *sniff* . . . oh God, I promised myself I wasn’t going to do this . . . *sniff*, well . . . it almost makes me willing to pay to see it live. I will be drawing examples from Chuck frequently on this thread. God Bless, Chuck; keep those kicks high and those embedded costs low!!

Next episode: See, honey, I told you my old football was useful, and some tips on the critical cheap bastard tactic of deflection. "
7/12/11 9:07 AM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

suples.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.