UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> If you could only read one Philosophy book?

6/23/11 4:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dan O'Connell
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What would it be?
6/24/11 3:38 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the bible
7/9/11 2:37 PM
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Genealogy of Morality.
7/10/11 3:12 AM
thesleeper

The Human Condition by Hannah Arendt.
7/10/11 12:57 PM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Edited: 07/10/11 1:35 PM
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/An_Enquiry_Concerning_Human_Understanding
7/14/11 1:02 PM
Joe Ray

Roly Poly Puppy, why did you edit your post?
7/17/11 3:02 PM
Poindexter
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being and Time
9/3/11 12:30 AM
Atecexa

Proverbs
9/10/11 12:23 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Joe Ray, because I'm trying to be less combative with people online. I need to remember there are people behind their internet handles. I'm trying to move away from a "THIS PERSON IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET" mode of thinking (truth as a tribal battle between rivals).
9/10/11 12:46 PM
Joe Ray

Fair enough.

But you posted some interesting links. I was hoping to read them....
9/10/11 11:31 PM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Ok, the links (from memory, unless you remember me posting others) were the big three anti-christian classicists (Julian, Celsus, and Porphyry).

Links:

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/julian_apostate_galileans_1_text.htm

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/The_True_Word

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/pearse/morefathers/files/porphyry_against_christians_02_fragments.htm
9/17/11 1:08 AM
ajsr
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Foucault-The Order of Things

or

Spinoza-Ethics
11/18/11 12:04 PM
sanguine cynic

Nietzsche the gay science
11/25/11 7:37 AM
Pustak
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity - Richard Rorty
12/9/11 1:40 PM
fsshariq
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Violent Origins blew my mind away. Looks at man and evolution in the hunter/gatherer sense of existance.
1/2/12 10:37 PM
Veek
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

history of western philosophy by bertrand russel
1/5/12 8:57 PM
OSBtro11

7/12/12 8:55 PM
BJJWRESTLER
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
11/25/13 2:43 AM
scaredy cat
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
11/30/13 8:48 PM
NYjojo

GE Moore -Principia Ethica
1/6/14 5:47 AM
duckrabbit
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being and Time or Philosophical Investigations if you were guaranteed to understand them. Richard Taylor's Good and Evil is the best accessible book otherwise.
2/9/14 12:55 AM
TMT
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As somebody who's read hundreds of books on philosophy, I have to say it's mostly garbage.

Some philosophy is good as literature (eg Kierkegaard) or literary criticism (eg later Rorty). Some philosophy is good insofar as it builds on scientists' work (eg Dennett). But like I said, it's mostly garbage.

If you had to read one book that is "philosophical" broadly speaking, I would suggest On Human Nature by EO Wilson. Wilson is a biologist, and his book is a classic.

2/24/14 7:59 PM
Peeixes
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TMT - As somebody who's read hundreds of books on philosophy, I have to say it's mostly garbage.

Some philosophy is good as literature (eg Kierkegaard) or literary criticism (eg later Rorty). Some philosophy is good insofar as it builds on scientists' work (eg Dennett). But like I said, it's mostly garbage.

If you had to read one book that is "philosophical" broadly speaking, I would suggest On Human Nature by EO Wilson. Wilson is a biologist, and his book is a classic.

as someone who has also read hundred of books by, about, and related to philosophy and philosophers, i'd be interested see some kind of explanation of what makes you say the entire discipline is "mostly garbage."

2/24/14 9:35 PM
TMT
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/24/14 9:39 PM
Peeixes - 

There are plenty of critiques of philosophy out there. I don't have anything to add.

But I don't expect those arguments to persuade you. I don't think you can argue somebody out of thinking that philosophy is worthwhile. It's sort of like religion that way. You either see it or you don't. I don't.
2/25/14 12:28 AM
Peeixes
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i never said i thought it was worthwhile, i said you didn't tell us why you didn't think it was.

it's fair to say you just don't see it, but i'd offer that if you've read hundreds of philosophy books and you don't see it, you may either be/have been getting something out of it you're not consciously realizing or you're wasting a lot your time.

as far as critiques of philosophy, they're generally also philosophy. sometimes a physicist will miss the point for six hundred pages, but the lines are blurry enough between the disciplines, now, that those kinds of arguments don't make it into print as much anymore.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.