UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Patellar subluxation

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/24/11 12:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian McLaughlin
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For the past two years I've had recurring Patellar subluxation. Usually while passing the guard my knee will twist the wrong way and my knee pops out of and then back into place. It is incredibly painful and I'm off the mat for weeks at a time.  It seems to be slipping out easier and easier now - what can be done? 
6/26/11 12:16 PM
dcvillain
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian pm me I can help you out with this issue.
6/26/11 4:12 PM
dcvillain
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No can do, to many pie charts and graphs to post with the info, may crash the site.
6/27/11 12:16 AM
Brian McLaughlin
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sent!
6/27/11 2:28 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love some help with this aslo. I have a student who has the issue and I recently suffered a dislocation myself and would like to prevent this.

pmsent.
6/28/11 12:21 PM
CALI NATIVE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once had a patellar tendon rupture...thought i'd never train again.
6/29/11 3:07 AM
MattB ATC
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You need to figure out why the subluxation is occurring, which can be a multitude of things. Most people quickly jump to the whole "weak VMO" reasoning, and then recommend a bunch of basic exercises such as TKE, leg extensions, etc. A "weak VMO" may be part of the problem, but from my experiences, it is usually more due to poor gluteal activation leading to added stress and improper knee positioning, along with an overactive and tight IT band. If you have subluxed the patella before, it is more likely to occur again, especially if proper strengthening, soft tissue, and mobility work are not performed.

At the start you can get a patellar tracking brace to try and give some support while you begin the rehab, or if you are familiar with taping techniques, you can try the McConnell tape technique.
6/30/11 1:56 AM
Brian McLaughlin

MattB ATC - You need to figure out why the subluxation is occurring, which can be a multitude of things. Most people quickly jump to the whole "weak VMO" reasoning, and then recommend a bunch of basic exercises such as TKE, leg extensions, etc. A "weak VMO" may be part of the problem, but from my experiences, it is usually more due to poor gluteal activation leading to added stress and improper knee positioning, along with an overactive and tight IT band. If you have subluxed the patella before, it is more likely to occur again, especially if proper strengthening, soft tissue, and mobility work are not performed.

At the start you can get a patellar tracking brace to try and give some support while you begin the rehab, or if you are familiar with taping techniques, you can try the McConnell tape technique.

I actually saw an orthapedist today and he told me to get the brace and McConnell tape job as well.
7/12/11 1:56 AM
csw0101
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Brian

I dislocated my knee cap 4 times in total through karate, BJJ and wrestling.

I tried strengthening my VMO and wore all sort of braces - but when your knee is put under stress I don't think the brace helps that much.

In the end I had a Patella stabilisation - where the surgeons actually split the patella tendon in half and reattaching it to keep the patella from dislocating. Touch wood it hasn't happened since. I've been back to training - mostly MMA now. The knee can get sore from lots of groundwork but otherwise is quite good now.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.