UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Just installed our new Palo Alto system

6/25/11 12:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rfquinn
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...and replaced our ASA, Lightspeed URL filter, and Palisade PacketSure (protocol analyzer).  It's a pretty amazing device.  Everything can be done on the application layer, instead of only L3/4.  Over 1,200 app signatures so far.
6/25/11 7:26 PM
big_slacker
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, the cisco SE's I know are pissed about those. I don't see why big C doesn't buy 'em. ;)

I just hope their support is top notch, nothing kills an up and comer like a sweet product with lots of bugs and poor support. Keep us updated.
6/25/11 7:45 PM
rfquinn
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ha!  Yeah, I made the mistake of mentioning the Palo Alto to our Cisco AM.  In a week I had their Iron Port and ASA guys here trying to keep us from going with the PA.

So far the support has been great.  (I had to call a few times during our 3-month eval)  The last major release they had did have quite a few bugs.  Hopefully they learned their lesson.

6/27/11 11:23 AM
E
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is basically a UTM?

I'm new to this space.
6/27/11 9:42 PM
rfquinn

Well, I'd say it's in the ballpark of UTM, although I wouldn't classify it as that.  Imagine a firewall that operates primarily at the application layer - through signatures instead of ports.
6/28/11 10:16 AM
big_slacker
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, don't think UTM which is basically piling current gen security technology into one box.

It has IDs for apps, users and content. You create policy based on those IDs rather than IP/L4 port. Add in IPS type signatures for bad stuff.

I'd love to see a comprehensive review from rfquinn when its running for a few months.
6/29/11 10:56 PM
rfquinn

A comprehensive review?  How much free time do you think I have?  :)
7/1/11 7:21 PM
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone hear about arbor networks products?

arbornetworks.com

stephen

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.