UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Good pistol training material?

6/26/11 10:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had previous experience with the British army before, so have had rifle training but woefully little pistol training. I know the sort of thing i want to learn - How to deal with stoppages, Immediate Action drills, Basic cleaning, Assembly/Disassembly, Stance and grip, Aiming fundamentals, etc. So the very basics really. Can anyone recommend anything for me?
6/27/11 4:58 PM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx put in your location (if in US) and find a NRA course. They'll teach you the fundamentals of marksmanship and can take you all the way to personal protection outside the home.

If you're looking for tapes, I've heard good things about Magpuls dynamic handgun series.
6/27/11 7:34 PM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in the UK so unfortunately that wouldn't work for me.

I'm going to do my practical training while on trips to Europe, but wanted a video so i could get the knowledge/theory down in my own time, and spend the time on range drilling rather than doing theory.

Thanks for the recommendation, i'll have a look for those tapes.
7/4/11 8:41 PM
Dark Knight
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Magpul
7/4/11 8:47 PM
Dark Knight
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

outside of that go to the Otherground and look for the IPSC thread and beginner shooter thread

Here you can view videos online

http://theater.doublealpha.biz/
7/5/11 11:09 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check this out...

http://www.demibarbito.com/firepower.html
7/12/11 6:39 PM
amadeus
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/pistoltopics_1.aspx

you won't regret it...
9/5/11 9:58 PM
HULC

Combative Pistol Marksmanship by Gabe Suarez was what i was looking for, and i highly recommend it to anyone looking for something similar to what i was looking for.
11/3/11 12:01 AM
Rhymenoceros
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - Combative Pistol Marksmanship by Gabe Suarez was what i was looking for, and i highly recommend it to anyone looking for something similar to what i was looking for.

FYI, he's a bit of a controversial character. Apparently he has a criminal record and a lot of guys in the know say that his experience is vastly overstated, and that his skills are pretty lacking.
11/3/11 12:40 PM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/03/11 1:11 PM
Rhymenoceros - 
HULC - Combative Pistol Marksmanship by Gabe Suarez was what i was looking for, and i highly recommend it to anyone looking for something similar to what i was looking for.

FYI, he's a bit of a controversial character. Apparently he has a criminal record and a lot of guys in the know say that his experience is vastly overstated, and that his skills are pretty lacking.

I've not trained with him personally before but people I know and respect have. Suarez was an instructor under Col. Jeff Cooper at Coopers academy and cooper wrote the forward to one of suarez first books, so apparently the father of the modern gun schools thought highly of his skills. My friend who trained with him is a former recon marine and SWAT operator for our local dept, and he was impressed with Suarez gun handling skills. He relayed that he saw him make 100 yard shots with his RMR glock, and 300 plus with his ak. He's also open minded and willing to train with others to expand his skill set. Hence him partnering up with the Dog Brothers for knife and stick work to add to his skill sets.

Can't speak to his combat experience, but he was a LEO, and he was involved in some on the job shootings according to articles I found on news websites.

As for his criminal record, the story I read online (combination of his website and news websites), was he was a cop that hurt his back and got put on disability. For those of you that have ever been on disability, they typically pay you 50% of your normal salary. While on disability, you aren't allowed to do anything else to make money, so if you have two jobs, you have to drop the one. He was already running a training company at the time, and was still teaching from a chair as he could hardly stand. The insurance went after him for fraud. He spent less than a year in jail as part of his plea agreement where they dropped charged against his wife.

The reason I didn't recommend his tapes for handgun intro was his material is more upper end stuff and I forgot about his beginner DVD's (he didn't have them out when I was looking around for beginners stuff). HULC, glad you found his material.
11/3/11 8:49 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have confodence in Gabes material.
1/30/12 12:51 AM
Iforgot1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/30/12 12:52 AM
To add to everyone's suggestions, Massad Ayoob's work could be helpful as well.
1/30/12 1:41 AM
BshMstr
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Iforgot1 - To add to everyone's suggestions, Massad Ayoob's work could be helpful as well.

i dunno....i've heard from a lot of people that his stuff isn't really up to par with currently technology. have you used much of his stuff?

i read an article he wrote a while back, and he has a big propnent of carrying the 1911, and with an empty chamber. apparently he thought you should draw, charge the weapon and engage on target. seemed weird to me....
1/30/12 8:10 AM
Rhymenoceros
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mas is old school but he's a very good shooter. His technique is not what I would call cutting edge, but it works for him. For anyone starting out I would point them toward stuff that is more current, but Mas still has a ton of stuff to teach around personal protection strategies and tactics. I wouldn't hesitate to take a class from him on that stuff.
1/30/12 8:36 AM
Dark Knight

Refinement and Repetition, Dry-fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement

Steve Anderson

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1930847769/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
1/30/12 2:25 PM
Dark Knight

http://www.doublealpha.biz/ipsc-dvd/daa-coaching-dvds.htm

In DVD's, get a one year subscription for about $39.00 for unlimited access to training videos.
1/30/12 10:52 PM
Iforgot1

Rhymenoceros - Mas is old school but he's a very good shooter. His technique is not what I would call cutting edge, but it works for him. For anyone starting out I would point them toward stuff that is more current, but Mas still has a ton of stuff to teach around personal protection strategies and tactics. I wouldn't hesitate to take a class from him on that stuff.

That's more of what I use Mas's teachings for. His defensive shooting teachings are excellent. His mind is like an encyclopedia of CCW knowledge. He's also got very good tips for LE tactics.
2/2/12 8:39 PM
BEEF & CHEESE

Fist Fire
2/2/12 11:12 PM
FJJ828

TTT for

D.R. Middlebrooks / FISTFIRE at www.tacticalshooting .com

Have conversed with Paul Gomez and would highly recommend him as well... http://gomez-training.com/

Don't know Suarez but an old friend Paul Sharp has always spoken highly of him so he would round out my short list for modern combat pistol work.
2/3/12 8:10 AM
Dark Knight

CCW Handgun Drills

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/HandgunDrills.pdf

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.