UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Larry Hartsell's Grappling Background?

6/27/11 1:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just watching some Hartsell seminar footage from God knows when, and liked what I saw, but also realized I have no idea what his training background was beyond JKD.

A lot of what he was demonstrating looked like cacc, or shootwrestling at least. But, Hartsell was pretty old and, I'm assuming, had been within the JKD community training and teaching well before the shootwrestling influence was brought under the JKD umbrella by Yori Nakamura. So, where or who did Hartsell learn how to wrestle and do submissions from?
6/27/11 1:33 AM
Missing Glove Tape

Nevermind. Watching a clip now where Hartsell says his instructors were mainly Guro Dan, Nakamura, Gokor, and sambo guy whose name I didn't quite catch.

Interesting. Kinda dates his main grappling influences to about the mid 80s. I guess for some reason I was thinking he'd been the JKD grappling guru basically from the early 70s onward, having picked up stuff from Lebell as Lee had done.
6/27/11 1:08 PM
Luigipe

ttt
6/27/11 4:50 PM
Ninja mon

ttt for Sensei Hartsell,my instructor used to train with him the the Inosanto Academy and he told me that he was one mean sob, RIP. A good story he told me was how once this guy came in to challenge Guro Inosanto: Hartsell got up and said "I'll take care of this" as he proceeded to whoop this guy's ass haha. I heard that he put a couple of dents in the wall in the process with that guys head haha.
6/28/11 9:59 AM
Radd

I was thinking he'd been the JKD grappling guru basically from the early 70s onward, having picked up stuff from Lebell as Lee had done.

While he did study grappling prior to his meeting Guru Dan and Bruce Lee, he really did not start to emphasize grappling techniques when teaching until the 1980s.

From what I understand, when he was teaching in the 1970's, his program consisted almost entirely of the original Chinatown JKD material.
6/28/11 10:08 AM
Radd

I forget to mention I believe his introduction to grappling started with judo when he was younger. Can't remember off the top of my head.
6/28/11 10:41 AM
Missing Glove Tape

Yeah, in one of the bios or something I read it mentioned he had a blackbelt in judo, either from before(youth) or had received it just prior to training with Ed Parker...ie: meeting Guru Dan.

No big deal or anything, I guess I just sort thought Hartsell and grappling were eternal. Everyone's gotta start somewhere and him finding his niche in the 80s is just the way it goes.

The cool part is that there's a surprising bit of Hartsell footage on youtube. The man was definitely skilled, and a big sonofabitc, too. Would've been cool to train with him while he was alive, and most likely a nightmare to fight him, imo.
6/30/11 9:21 PM
ThePigpen
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got to train with him once or twice when I first started out at Inosanto's. Really nice guy, but every time that he touched someone, to demonstrate a technique or not, it hurt! He was just a tough old dude.
7/4/11 10:24 AM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
 Not to hijack -- but how many of the original Bruce Lee students were under Ed Parker first?  Was it just Guro Dan and Mr. Hartsell?  Does anyone know?  Sorry, random curiosity. 
7/5/11 9:24 AM
Radd

twinkletoesCT -  Not to hijack -- but how many of the original Bruce Lee students were under Ed Parker first?  Was it just Guro Dan and Mr. Hartsell?  Does anyone know?  Sorry, random curiosity. 

I believe almost all of the well known original students with the exception of Ted Wong were with Ed parker prior to switching to the Chinatown school.
7/7/11 9:05 PM
nowaydo
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was my intro to submission grappling.
Larry learned a lot from Gene Lebell. He always gave him credit.
7/8/11 12:20 AM
ReneH

"He was my intro to submission grappling.
Larry learned a lot from Gene Lebell. He always gave him credit."

That was my experience as well. He was a gentleman who was kind and very sharing of his knowledge. If it wasn't for Larry I wouldn't have been introduced to Shooto, CACC, Sambo and other cool stuff. Great times.
7/22/11 8:02 PM
Nasz

Larry did Wrestling in highschool, then he did judo for 5 years. Then he started Tan Soo Do and karate. Shotokan and Ed Parker, then Dan inosanto since 61.

He sparred twice with Bruce and he was then in the army, he was a powerlifter and heavy dude. Bruce beat him both times.

Bruce in his last years was doing grapplin techniques. He learned from Gene La belle, Wally J and Chin Na.

Larry studied also shoot wrestling from Nakamarua.
7/22/11 8:03 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to admit I miss that guy. He was the most authentic human out of that old school crew.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.