UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> jermaine taylor returns

6/28/11 3:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pharochuck
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is no beuno as far as i'm concerned.
sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story

Jermain Taylor returning to ring

jQuery.getScriptCache('http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c/?js=espn.tools.r18.js', function() { espn.core.init.tools('6710720','http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6710720'); }); By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Former undisputed middleweight champion Jermain Taylor, idle for nearly two years after suffering a head injury in his last fight, is returning to the ring with a clean bill of health and trainer Pat Burns, who was fired during the title reign in 2006, back in his corner.

Taylor
Taylor

"I'm training him. We're working out all the logistics right now about exactly when and where the fight will take place. (Taylor adviser) Al Haymon is working on all of that now," Burns told ESPN.com Monday. "I will be with Jermain in the next couple of days. We need to get going on the next phase of training, and that's sparring."

Burns said Taylor will return to the 160-pound middleweight division instead of continuing to fight in the 168-pound super middleweight class, where he fought with little success in the four fights before his layoff.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that Showtime, which had a contract with Taylor, one of the original participants in the Super Six World Boxing Classic, likely will televise the bout on Aug. 13. It is likely to take place in Taylor's hometown of Little Rock, Ark., according to sources. No opponent has been selected.

If Showtime goes with Taylor on Aug. 13, it would be a split-site card because the network is already committed to airing its four-man bantamweight tournament final -- titlist Joseph Agbeko against Abner Mares -- from Las Vegas that night.

Taylor did not respond to multiple interview requests, but his comeback has been in the works for some time with Taylor, his family, Burns and Haymon ass

6/28/11 4:07 AM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a good idea, he's taking some really bead beatings.
6/28/11 4:53 AM
U4EA
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terrible. Didn't DiBella refuse to promote him any more because of the amount of concussions he has had? I remember him saying that his neurological tests were fine but he didnt want Taylor to fight anymore.
6/28/11 3:12 PM
pharochuck
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

U4EA - Terrible. Didn't DiBella refuse to promote him any more because of the amount of concussions he has had? I remember him saying that his neurological tests were fine but he didnt want Taylor to fight anymore.
yes, looks like al haymon has stepped in and his old trainer. who made sure to mention 'that while he is putting money in his pocket his biggest concern is jermaine's health' lol! this is a guy now in his 30's with a couple fo bad losses trying to fight in a weight class he could no longer make 3 years ago. this has disaster written all over it

6/29/11 1:27 AM
Brandon McGaha
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Living in Arkansas I want him to succeed but this will more than likely be fail. Phone Post
6/29/11 4:08 AM
pharochuck

i see his promoter giving him a couple of gimmies at 160 to build him up and the sacrificing him on the altar of either martinez (which ends with his sudden death) canelo alvarez or chavez jr. a legit 'name' at 160 and no threat at all to any of them. martinez murders him easy, alvarez is too fresh and chavez could just wear him down.
6/29/11 4:19 AM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm, he might actually have a chance against Chavez Jr.
6/29/11 5:36 AM
U4EA
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And I wouldnt rule him out against a slow 154er with not huge power and a poor defense such as Canelo.
6/29/11 4:15 PM
pharochuck

Edited: 06/29/11 4:16 PM
U4EA - And I wouldnt rule him out against a slow 154er with not huge power and a poor defense such as Canelo.
since his life or death struggles with spinks, ouma and wright in his 'prime' i think a young ready to go 154 guy like alvarez at this point in his career beats him easy.  i can see chavez jr, wearing him down and walking through him. that body work plus taylor's traditional late round fade would be a safe bet for chavez to get another name on his resume without a lot of risk. taylor doeasn't have 1 shot power and his reflexes looked a little off. i dont think he would have enough in the tank to keep either guy off him at this stage of his career

6/30/11 10:54 PM
ANT_P1989
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really wish Jermain still had, but unfortunately I don't think he does. But I pray he proves me wrong and has one last hoorah for a title run, or just rack up some wins. Phone Post
12/3/11 5:25 PM
Steelersfan 24 7
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This man should not be fighting!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.