UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Any free Anti-Virus better than McAfee?

6/28/11 11:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have McAfee installed as standard on my PC which i bought at the end of last year, but i've heard bad things about it. Would i be safer uninstalling it and installing a freeware anti-virus like AVG instead?
6/28/11 2:30 PM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What bad things did you hear?

AVG is good, scans are a big slow but schedule them for night time.
6/28/11 6:43 PM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard that it's worse than some of the freeware, throws up a lot of false positives, and isn't great at blocking attacks. Not a confidence building assessment anyway.

Cheers, do you think AVG is the best of the freeware options?
7/13/11 11:40 AM
CuddleBug
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems like the free anti-virus are almost always better than the pay ones because the pay ones try to justify the cost by overdoing their role and bogging the system down. My current favorite is Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm not sure what the virus detection rate is compared to others, but it's unobtrusive on the system.
8/15/11 12:54 PM
GroundStPound
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Avast is the one, sexy womans voice keeps telling you the program has just updated itself... my chick keeps calling her the other woman in my life!
8/15/11 3:17 PM
notsodirty
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get Linux.
8/15/11 8:08 PM
Tidbits

notsodirty - Get Linux.

So instead of wasting your time worrying about viruses you can waste it trying to find drivers that work or the correct kernel update you need to get a program you like to function.
8/15/11 9:31 PM
notsodirty
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tidbits - 
notsodirty - Get Linux.

So instead of wasting your time worrying about viruses you can waste it trying to find drivers that work or the correct kernel update you need to get a program you like to function.
i admit the inital learning curve is steaper but the benefits of security and stability makes it worth the effort of learning. 

8/16/11 9:15 AM
gsx_r

microsoft security essentials is good enough. and free.
8/18/11 9:19 AM
Dan O'Connell
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Avira is the best free AV according to av comparatives
8/18/11 8:56 PM
crobrun
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tidbits - 
notsodirty - Get Linux.

That hasn't been my experience at all with ubuntu. Of course, it depends on what you are using the computer for.
8/22/11 12:31 PM
Road Warrior Fin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MSE = win
8/29/11 4:22 PM
Leonid Arkadin

Fin is correct
8/30/11 10:43 AM
Focker101
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gsx_r - microsoft security essentials is good enough. and free.

This plus I run Spybot Search and destroy to watch my Registry changes

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.