UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Pond fishing for Largemouth in Ohio. What do?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/1/11 10:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sevent2
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've grown up along the Ohio River and spent most of my fishing time fishing for stripers. I've not spent a lot of time fishing in lakes of ponds, so I am here seeking advice. I have access to my neighbors 2 acre pond which has been stocked with LM, SM and Rock Bass for over 10 years. There are apparently some pretty big fish in there, but I don't know how to catch them!

What lures, depths and techniques would I use this time of year to catch the big ones? There are no lily-pads, lots of vegetation on the bottom, fairly steep sides and some cattails. Temps have been in the 90s for the past few weeks and the water is fairly clear.

If I catch any over the weekend, I will come back with pics :)
Thanks guys
7/3/11 1:27 PM
MachetePhil
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't go wrong with the good ole plastic worm, try different color and size jigs and swim baits, also mepps spinner and if there's too much vegetation fouling up your hooks, topwater.

I like to use smaller baits, like an 1/8th ounce jig head with a shad colored swim bait about and inch or two long, or white or smoke colored grub. Slow retrieves, and stay on the edge, or just above, grass or other vegitation.

Best times imo are early morning and around sunset when it's hot and sunny, any kind of trees, cuts in the bank,  or vegitation hanging over the water providing cover and shade are where the most fish will be.

One key to fishing ponds and stuff is changing your lures up until you start getting hits, colors/size/retrieve speed, all of that. Sometimes the fish just aren't biting, but if they are and you hit on the lure they want you can clean up.
7/3/11 11:02 PM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6-10 inch soft plastics. trickworms or lizards rigged carolina or texas bounced off of the bottom.

i prefer larger baits for the attraction. big fish eat big baits, its worth their time to chase.

however,

elephants do eat peanuts.
7/4/11 2:44 PM
Theory of Everything
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

-5" senko texas/wacky rigged (black w/blue flake)

-Reaction Innovation sweet beavers(smoke w/red flake)

-Spinnerbait (white)

That's all you need.

If you don;t know how to use/rig these lures, just ask and I can go into detail.

7/8/11 9:35 AM
sevent2
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went with my trusty old 1/8 oz jig and white plastic grub, the same bait I use in the river for striper fishing. I ended up catching about 7 of the smaller bass, one large bass, and one catfish on a separate pole using a creek chub.

Pics as promised (Blue please) :
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/111xqr.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/114uml.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/112pl.jpg/
7/9/11 4:08 AM
Byrd

7/9/11 12:46 PM
MachetePhil
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice!  I fish a 4.5 acre pond a lot and catch a bunch the size of that smaller one, and tons of the biggest bluegill ever , but I'd love to catch a bass the size of that bigger one you got on the pond I'm fishing.  I know there's gotta be some in there.
7/11/11 6:40 AM
cdog1955
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I fish ohio ponds and pits and all i use are raplala's and plastic worms...you'll clean up.
7/10/13 7:29 PM
jdsga

The easy way is to go to the bait shop and get some minnows. They always work. If you want to use artificial everyone else's advise is good.
1/9/15 8:54 PM
DonkeyKick215

Live Bait. Grasshoppers, worms , minnows

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.