UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> New Lawyer Sues her law school

10/27/11 1:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RickStormsHotSister
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While your experience is not generalizable, at all, it is still something I am not at odds with. I don't doubt that there are many competent Cooley grads; further, I don't think the LSAT is the end all be all.

But, my point remains, the vast majority of students entering Cooley are subpar (in regards to their college performance and performance on an aptitude test). Phone Post
10/28/11 4:42 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How difficult can it be to rank in the top quarter at a school where the vast majority of students are allegedly subpar?
10/28/11 4:55 PM
WikiTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 25% requirement is incorrect. If you score in the top 25% you get a boost in your scholarship, not a reduction. The scholarships are only reduced if the student is put on academic probation or otherwise fails to be in good standing.

10/28/11 4:57 PM
RickStormsHotSister

Their GPA curve is a 2.0 to 2.4. I have read that they put all of the scholarship kids together in a section, so the curve takes out most of them.

I'm not an expert of all things Cooley, but I do know that it's a school I'd steer clear of.
10/28/11 5:05 PM
WikiTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStormsHotSister - Their GPA curve is a 2.0 to 2.4. I have read that they put all of the scholarship kids together in a section, so the curve takes out most of them.

I'm not an expert of all things Cooley, but I do know that it's a school I'd steer clear of.
Again, the scholarship isn't reduced by ranking, it is reduced by individual standing.

10/28/11 5:11 PM
WikiTheWalrus

And every law school has that same rumor about putting the scholarship kids in the same section. It may be true for some of them, but by Cooley's statistics, it is mathematically impossible to have just one section of all scholarship students.
10/28/11 5:12 PM
RickStormsHotSister

Well, if you're in the bottom 3rd - you'll be kicked out.

Ken, what are you really trying to say?
Would you advise your son to go to Cooley?
Do you feel it is wise to go to Cooley?
Do you think getting a degree from Cooley gives you a good shot at a legal career?

I can understand how you'd like to protect any one Cooley grad from being judged for their decision, but I don't see why you'd "defend" the institution.

While I would never insult or doubt the skills of a Cooley '14 grad, I would only see it as a mark against them - not as a plus. This could be quickly excused if the person went there because it was close to their home, but - outside of that - the fact that they went to Cooley reflects poorly upon them.
10/28/11 5:14 PM
RickStormsHotSister

WikiTheWalrus -  And every law school has that same rumor about putting the scholarship kids in the same section. It may be true for some of them, but by Cooley's statistics, it is mathematically impossible to have just one section of all scholarship students.
Well, most of the top schools don't put any GPA requirements on students with scholarships. As for Cooley, they could possibly put all of the full scholarship kids together, the 3/4 scholarship kids together, etc.
10/28/11 8:05 PM
WikiTheWalrus

RickStormsHotSister - Well, if you're in the bottom 3rd - you'll be kicked out.

Ken, what are you really trying to say?
Would you advise your son to go to Cooley?
Do you feel it is wise to go to Cooley?
Do you think getting a degree from Cooley gives you a good shot at a legal career?

I can understand how you'd like to protect any one Cooley grad from being judged for their decision, but I don't see why you'd "defend" the institution.

While I would never insult or doubt the skills of a Cooley '14 grad, I would only see it as a mark against them - not as a plus. This could be quickly excused if the person went there because it was close to their home, but - outside of that - the fact that they went to Cooley reflects poorly upon them.
Being in the bottom third does not guarantee you will be kicked out. I think the highest percentage that Cooley lost after 1L was 8%, and that includes transfers.

Where are you getting your information? So much of it is incorrect that I have to question your sources.

If my kid wanted to go to Cooley I would let them make up their own mind. And yes, getting a degree at Cooley does give you a good shot at starting a legal career. Their raw stats are better than alot of schools. Are they 99% like the top 5? No, but being over 80% placement with the number of graduates they have a year is still a good bet that you can go to Cooley and still be employable.

10/28/11 8:26 PM
RickStormsHotSister

My information is incorrect?

8%?

"Overall, Thomas M. Cooley Law School accepts over one-half of those who apply and their median LSAT score is generally around a 150, with a median GPA generally around a 3.0. However, Thomas Cooley Law School has a large attrition rate of over 33%, seeking to eliminate those that do not fare well during their first two years in law school. Tuition is over $25,000, making it an expensive experience for the over 1/3 of students who are forced out after one or two years."

"The curve at Cooley is very tough - so much so that 22.4% of 1Ls and 14.5% of 2Ls either choose to leave or flunk out. Even 3Ls are not safe, as 14 of them were forced to leave last year.”

http://www.top-law-schools.com/thomas-cooley-school-of-law.html

80% placement? They are being sued over those numbers! Most schools in the top 50 don't have 80% placement IN THE LEGAL FIELD.

But I gotta admit, you are pulling off a fantastic troll ;)
10/28/11 10:57 PM
WikiTheWalrus

RickStormsHotSister - My information is incorrect?

8%?

"Overall, Thomas M. Cooley Law School accepts over one-half of those who apply and their median LSAT score is generally around a 150, with a median GPA generally around a 3.0. However, Thomas Cooley Law School has a large attrition rate of over 33%, seeking to eliminate those that do not fare well during their first two years in law school. Tuition is over $25,000, making it an expensive experience for the over 1/3 of students who are forced out after one or two years."

"The curve at Cooley is very tough - so much so that 22.4% of 1Ls and 14.5% of 2Ls either choose to leave or flunk out. Even 3Ls are not safe, as 14 of them were forced to leave last year.”

http://www.top-law-schools.com/thomas-cooley-school-of-law.html

80% placement? They are being sued over those numbers! Most schools in the top 50 don't have 80% placement IN THE LEGAL FIELD.

But I gotta admit, you are pulling off a fantastic troll ;)
I realize you're the one trolling here, since I've tried to make it as easy as I can for you to follow along, but you can't even manage that. I'll try to make it even easier.

800 students @ 80% placement = 640 positions filled.
200 students @ 100% placement = 200 positions filled.
Now that I've done the math for you, do you get it?

I've fed your trolling enough for now.
10/28/11 11:01 PM
RickStormsHotSister

What are you talking about?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.