UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> CONTROLLING THE BLADE

3/15/03 10:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Mar-03 05:38 PM
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

There is an interesting thread started by Burton Richardson on the JKD forum that I posted to, it has some great comments... You can read the entire thread in the JKD page, but here is my post, for those on a timeline :-) For those of you who have studied our CONTROLLING THE BLADE videos and GROUND FIGHTING VS AN ARMED ASSAILANT these principals won't be new... Frequent readers of this forum know that we focus on principles and inspire performance enhancement by 'avoiding' teachinques and allowing the scenario and the opponent's action to inspire our next move. remember our CWCT or 'closest weapon/closest target' principle. Anyhow, those intersted in 'blade' discussion should check out the thread started by Burton Richardson in the JKD forum. Here are my comments reposted...
3/15/03 10:42 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 15-Mar-03 05:38 PM
COMMENTS ABOUT KNIFE TRAINING
3/15/03 5:17 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 15-Mar-03
Excellent points, and while the perspectives may oscillate, the message is universal.... what works in a real dynamic fight cannot and should never be left to XYZ mechanics of the class room, spontaneity rules and all positions are transitory as you seek your final destination.... Force must parallel danger: that is both a legal and a tactical imperative. Hanging on is therefore transitory and a stall while you reorient on the target that will setup the target that will end the problem. Our weapon protection method utilizes a liberating SOP, I share it here, and it?s called THE THREE C's: CLEAR (your body; intended target) CONTROL (as soon as you can control the armed limb) COUNTER (do what you need to) Use the THREE C's as a guide, not an step by step formula, E.g.: sometimes, because of a telegraph you may be able to initiate a preemptive counter first, but must still gain control of the armed limb ASAP as the fight is still 'alive' and so on, in other words, the order the C's follow is determined not by you but by the scenario. The essence is what's important in this thread...Burton's observations seem based on a concern for the audience (please practice with as much realistic resistance as safely possible), Matt's was seemingly opposite, "Hey this worked", but his 'essence' was the same...same with Luis points and clarity...skill & experience are not for sale, they must be earned. Context is what this is about and as any real combat athlete has learned; everything works and everything fails, timing and awareness and focus determine a lot. We cannot look at 'the move' as the answer...but rather how 'we' move the move... Bottom line, especially in a real fight and even more so in an armed real fight: "Its not who's right.... its who's left." Stay safe Tony Blauer
3/15/03 5:18 PM
Tony Blauer

and... "Philosophically speaking, everyone can go on offense, the real skill is in being able to protect yourself." BTCMS maxim Its refreshing to see this focus on the protective & defensive elements from within the knife community. Interestingly, in the 80's when i came out with our first DEFENSIVE KNIFE video, so many called up inquiring if we had an 'offensive' tape. :-) they were still locked into POV that "they will have the blade out, and ready to fillet the threat first!" Defending...protecting...adapting...its this perspective that has 'forced' the reframe... Personally & professionally I have never taught an offensive knife clinic or tape, it was always about 'the bad-guy' with the weapon, now what?? That perspective is what has helped mature the scenario simulation/replication startle-flinch evolution. While mechanics are one thing, we need to respect behavior, because behavior supersedes wishful thinking and behavior can & does overide certain types of muscle-memory and that is why the 2 arm lock up is so effective, not because its a technique but because its a 'tactic' that resolves a problem (CLEAR & CONTROL) and resonates with behavior (flinching, grabbing, holdingare blends of primal initiative, gross motor muscle foundation and allow for evolution to complex motor skill (COUNTER) by stabilizing the threat.) Ultimately, whatever you do in the fight will be a blend of THE THREE C's...thats what makes it 'ubiquitous' and a performance trigger irrespective of your style or method. I'd just like to add a comment on 'techniques' & style; in our train-the-trainer sessions we advise: "In reality, "you" can do whatever you want in a real fight provided it doesnt alter the outcome of the fight...however, what you teach others is another story, there is a moral and legal responsiblity to tell the truth." Our teaching mantra is: "Dont show the student what YOU can do, show them what THEY can do." Stay safe, Tony Blauer
3/15/03 8:18 PM
RThomas

Great Post, We are currently putting together a SOP for Knife Protection for our Agency. In prison work knives are a real and always present danger. However the problem is most knife defense materials are based on a bladed weapon and we almost always deal with ICE PICK type shanks. The primary attack point is the neck, upper chest and floating ribs. Ironically the method I'm using to build our program around is information I've gathered from inmates over the last decade on how they defend themselves from knives. These people live with the threat of attack by knives 24/7 and some of them have some incredible insight into how to defend and counter knife techniques. Later, Ross p.s. Tony you have mail.
3/15/03 9:16 PM
Tony Blauer

Got it Ross. BTW: I have an advanced course upcoming at FLETC in the next month or so, maybe you can get to it. Speak to you this week. Tony
3/15/03 10:15 PM
RThomas

If only I could talk my Warden into it! Which agency are you working with Tony?
3/16/03 10:16 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 16-Mar-03
Its being organized through TSA and its open to any FLETC division as far as I know. Peraps you should let the BOP affiliates there know about it. Tony
3/17/03 12:47 AM
taroson

Edited: 17-Mar-03
Tony, Some of my most heated arguments with friends and practitioners of various 'blade’ arts has revolved around the whole subject of weapon disarms and particularly around tactics for surviving while unarmed against a blade. Your research and unique way of training the Emotional, Psychological and Physical arsenals has made me constantly re-think and analyze my approach to 'solving' this puzzle. Much of the confusion lies in the lack of understanding human behavior in both the attacker and the ambushee. Your tapes on "Controlling the Blade" really opened my eyes and have supplied me with training formulas and drills I use in almost every training session. I encourage anyone who does not have the "Controlling the Blade" videos to get them immediately. Thanks so much Tony. The information is truly priceless. Mike Suyematsu/PDR Coach
3/17/03 1:24 AM
Tony Blauer

Thanks Mike...appreciate that. Tony
3/17/03 7:57 PM
JMullings

Great thread and if I may add a point One of the "key items" that I have learned working closely with the PDR material and Coach Blauer that determine the truth about training and what you may want to consider when training is....... "Watch the Bad Guy"...... Most of the "techniques" tapes/dvd's that we watch and become enchanted with are either less than realistic attacks (single thrust, single slash, etc) or choreographed blade attacks. Coach Blauer said to me....." when watching a training tape or session, watch the bad guy". Is the bad guys attack credible? is it ballistic? Does it attack your emotional and psychological senese? does it address the "holy shit" moment encountered in the surprise attack? That statement alone may dramatically change the way you train, not just for "the blade", but all of your training, scenarios, techniques, etc.....it did for me. Best Wishes Joe Mullings

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.