UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Raising Rabbits

1/7/12 2:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Josh J
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True Fight Co., President
We raised the white ones when I was a kid.  We started out with 3 or 4 and had 50+ within a year or two.

My dad got sick of dealing with them and made me kill and skin all of them.  I was 16 or so.  I just held them up by the back legs and hit them in the head with a metal rod to kill them.  It took about 5 minutes to skin one.  I got sick of rabbit after a few weeks.

The cannibalism part was gross.  Half of the time the mother rabbit would eat parts of the heads of all of her babies and kill them.  It was usually only when they didn't have a good place to bed down for some reason though.
1/29/12 9:30 PM
OneScoup

This may sound wrong, but if I'm hungry and looking at a rabbit pondering stew, my mouth will actually water. I guess I'm a true carnivore.
2/15/12 5:21 PM
ChuckSteak

JkdSam - They're more of a survival food than a self sufficiency food. You can eat them until you're full and still starve to death.

In a self sufficiency situation you would be perfectly fine. Rabbit starvation only occures when you eat nothing but, and I mean nothing but, lean meat like a wild rabbit. In a self sufficiency situation you're not going to eat only rabbit so rabbit starvation isn't a concern.
2/15/12 5:26 PM
ChuckSteak

CR1chard - I know several people that will use rabbit droppings for fertilizer/compost, but don't know anyone cold-hearted enough to process a bunny for food.

Processing a rabbit for food is cold hearted?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.