UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Archie Moore - Life Magazine Image Archives

7/5/11 12:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sgotwalks
906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/11 8:49 PM

Life Magazine has produced some of the most beautiful images throughout history, and I am grateful for the collection I have archived. The black and white photography of that era is incredibly telling and I for one can stare at these pics for hours, taking in several details from the images background and just absorbing and sharing the moment. Hats off to the photographers at Life Magazine!

To view my other threads with Life Magazine's Image Archives click the links below:
Muhammad Ali - Click Here
Rocky Marciano - Click Here
Joe Louis - Click Here
Sugar Ray Robinson - Click Here
Henry Armstrong - Click Here
Joe Frazier - Click Here
Classic Random Boxing Images - Click Here

7/5/11 12:57 AM
xcouturefan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Archie Moore = legend
7/5/11 12:58 AM
sgotwalks
906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/5/11 1:03 AM
sgotwalks

Edited: 07/05/11 1:04 AM
Archie is KO'd by Floyd Patterson for the vacant World Heavyweight Title.

7/5/11 1:10 AM
sgotwalks

Edited: 07/05/11 1:13 AM

7/5/11 1:26 AM
ausgepicht

Legend. One of the best work ethics in the history of the sport.

It's uncanny how he and Shane Mosely look alike in some of those images.

7/5/11 2:02 AM
mpayne097

Moar please!
7/5/11 10:05 AM
ausgepicht

I feel like crying when I see a thread like this gets no attention. :(
7/5/11 10:07 AM
jjj2121

ausgepicht - I feel like crying when I see a thread like this gets no attention. :(

And then you see a thread about Chael Sonnen trolling on twitter that gets 100 replies.  It is kinda sad.

Great stuff, thank you again OP.
7/5/11 10:09 AM
ausgepicht

jjj2121 - 
ausgepicht - I feel like crying when I see a thread like this gets no attention. :(

And then you see a thread about Chael Sonnen trolling on twitter that gets 100 replies.  It is kinda sad.

Grrrrrrr.

7/5/11 11:30 AM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - 
jjj2121 - 

Grrrrrrr.

Or a "Seagull taught Archie Moore how to box" thread
7/5/11 1:01 PM
sgotwalks

jjj2121 - 

Thanks guys.......great comments. I hear ya and I concur, but that is or has often been the way. I too have seen many a good thread not getting the love while some silly debate goes on for pages and pages. To be honest though, I have been pleasantly surprised at how well received these threads have been by those who do appreciate this sort of thing. Images like the ones I have been saving on my hard drive deserve to be shared and I am just happy that there are some boxing aficionados enjoying them. I've been intending to put these up for over a year, but the sizing and photobucket process had me procrastinating.

For the record, 99% of these images are in 300dpi and could easily be enlarged to 8x10 for printing and framing such as I have done with several of them for my office wall.

Joe Louis will be coming soon, and his are fantastic pictures. Thanks again!
7/5/11 3:19 PM
sgotwalks

7/5/11 10:33 PM
xcouturefan

ttt
7/6/11 1:15 AM
32Hunter

nice.
1/18/12 7:39 AM
Bench
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later. Phone Post
1/18/12 3:04 PM
martinburke
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great threads.

Moore was one of a number of great black fighters from the era before WWII, a group now referred to as Murderers' Row. While Moore was a great fighter, he was middle of the pack in that group.

But as he and his competitors aged, they retired as Moore just kept plugging along... and the younger fighters he faced weren't as skilled or experienced as previous generations of fighters.

In this new pool of fighters, Moore went from being ol' Archie and became the Ol' Mongoose, preying on his younger, less skillful foes.

After WWII, the economy boomed and the average guy had far more opportunities to earn a buck; the G.I. Bill allowed men to get an education. A man didn't have to get his brains beat out anymore to improve his lot. This decimated the pool of talent that boxing could draw from.

The new interstate system made it possible to commute, which meant that those commuters were spending their evenings(and their money) out in the suburbs Before the war, you watched baseball in the daytime and boxing at night, but the improvement in lighting meant that baseball was cutting into boxing's money.

The small fight clubs where a young fighter could learn his craft were disappearing. Before the war, there were fight cards 5 or 6 nights a week in most of the big cities. For example, within 12 miles of Stillman's gym in New York City, these were the regular fight cards:

Monday - St. Nicholas Arena
Tuesday - Broadway Arena
Wednesday - White Plains Arena
Thursday - Bronx Coliseum
Friday - Madison Square Garden
Saturday - Ridgewood Grove

So not only could the fighters stay active and learn their craft, but so could the TRAINERS.

The fight clubs were suddenly making one-fifth of the money that they made in the pre-war era, so the shows began to dry up. Almost all of the great trainers quit, unable to make a living. And then the one-eyed monster moved in for the kill...

Television was in its infancy. The bulky, primitive cameras of the day were unable to properly capture baseball and football. But boxing, with its small, well-lit stage was perfect. Boxing, as it's always done, takes a good idea and runs it into the ground. There were televised fights almost every night, so why bother going to the club to see unknowns when you can park your ass on the sofa and see Archie Moore, Sugar Ray Robinson and Kid Gavilan for free?

The small fight clubs were doomed.

Those fighters who came up after the war didn't have a clue against somebody like Moore, so when he should have been in his decline he got to shoot fish in a barrel.
1/18/12 3:15 PM
caposa
1574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amazing photos Phone Post
1/18/12 3:44 PM
sgotwalks

Fantastic write-up martinburke. Much appreciated!
1/18/12 4:27 PM
jacktripper

had the honor and pleasure to meet him before he passed on... absolute gentleman and a true one of a kind
1/18/12 4:33 PM
effinggoof
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sgotwalks - Fantastic write-up martinburke. Much appreciated!

X2
1/18/12 9:25 PM
dennis5
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/18/13 3:43 AM
sgotwalks

In lieu of Ali bringing back my LIFE series back to.......um, life on his birthday, I am gonna give the others another bump, exactly one year since the last bump. That's it until next year when I do it all over again on Ali's birthday, which was actually yesterday now, when his thread was bumped.

1/18/13 4:09 AM
OUTCOLD
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great thread

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.