UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> Had first MMA class last night.

7/7/11 11:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Inked624
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last night was my first MMA class, and I must say that it was a good one considering the shape in I'm in. I'm not a slob mind you, just have some extra poundage I need to eliminate. The class ran 2 1/2 hours, and started off with stations. One was a tire standing on the inside edge of it and bouncing side to side whole holding small poundage weights. Next was the ol sledgehammer/ tire workout, after that was another tire workout where you flip the tire a la strong man comps, then kettlebells, and last was 25 dumbbells doing hammer curls followed by lunges. Those were done in 5- 3 minute rounds. Next we hit the cage and did the various bag stations, then myself and two newbies were taught basic punches. Then we learned jab defense (which I sucked at), and then went to sparring. Sparring consisted of the 7 of us getting a number signifying what moves or techniques to use on one of the guys who has an MMA fight this month. I was told to go all out on him using one-two combos.......and only that. The other experienced students used kicks and takedowns, while me the "newbie" stuck to the basics. Well, it was rough trying to get punches in I tell ya, and was pretty much getting tagged cause of me dropping my hands after punches, but it WAS my first time like I said sparring with someone, but I didn't get discouraged at all. Learning how to fight is no easy task, but I really got alot out of the class. Phone Post
7/7/11 1:17 PM
neverquit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what gym bro?
7/7/11 1:22 PM
Inked624
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Evolution Combat Club on Long Island, NY. Phone Post
7/7/11 7:48 PM
OneScoup

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not sparring.
7/7/11 8:12 PM
Inked624

Never had a bubble to begin with, but then let's call it "some sort of contact with me not holding back, and him going easy on me". Phone Post
7/8/11 1:29 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*audible groan*
7/8/11 3:15 PM
Inked624

Bull_in_chinashop -  *audible groan*
Do elaborate.... Phone Post
7/8/11 4:50 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What you described seems like another "MMA-inspired" cardio workout IMHO. Trying to learn skills and conditioning in the same class? That's just poor programming/design. That doesn't mean that you can't gain general conditioning while developing skills, but in this context, that's certainly not the case.

I'm not suprised to see the instructor is a traditional martial artist who has "certifications" in muay thai, rather than actual fights, and teaches "elements of submission wrestling" rather than has actual wrestling and BJJ experience.  He's smart. He knows that MMA is popular and this type of workout is a great way to bring in $$ and people get to say they "train MMA"

There are much better places to train in Long Island. (Ray Longo, Matt Serra etc..)
7/8/11 8:10 PM
Inked624

Bull_in_chinashop -  What you described seems like another "MMA-inspired" cardio workout IMHO. Trying to learn skills and conditioning in the same class? That's just poor programming/design. That doesn't mean that you can't gain general conditioning while developing skills, but in this context, that's certainly not the case.

I'm not suprised to see the instructor is a traditional martial artist who has "certifications" in muay thai, rather than actual fights, and teaches "elements of submission wrestling" rather than has actual wrestling and BJJ experience.  He's smart. He knows that MMA is popular and this type of workout is a great way to bring in $$ and people get to say they "train MMA"

There are much better places to train in Long Island. (Ray Longo, Matt Serra etc..)
I hear what you're saying, but the bottom line is that I'm getting in shape, and also I'm not locked into a contact. I paid $200 up until September, so after that I have options. I wish I could afford a better school, but it's not in my budget. Phone Post
7/8/11 8:13 PM
Inked624

Edited: 07/08/11 8:15 PM
I know that Fusion MMA near me has guys that are fighters that teach there. That is probably a mistake on my part for not trying that school in the first place. But you know what, you learn something new everyday......
7/8/11 10:40 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

Well if you know what you're getting and are comfortable with it, more power to you. and you're right, at least you're getting in a workout.
7/12/11 8:03 AM
Inked624

Been to two "classes" so far, and I'm learning the basics along with defenses. It's not a "class" per se, where they start exactly like the schedule shows, you can just show up and blend in like I did last night. I'm going to take two classes a week cause of my schedule, and after my two months are up, I'll see if I want to continue there. Phone Post
7/14/11 5:57 AM
Inked624

Third class was last night, and still haven't been taught any type of takedowns, submissions etc. So far it's just been a Muay Thai class, and that's it, but oh well, I'm getting a good workout, and am losing some weight in the process. After my two months are up, I think I'll be going elsewhere where they have "classes" for MMA, and not just somewhere where there's no structure and you're taught a few techniques, and that's it. Haven't even sparred with anyone yet except for that drill that I mentioned in my first class, but I did manage to get kicked in the face last night...........and it felt great! hehe Phone Post
7/19/11 6:00 AM
Zoeyerin

Hey if you are interessed, there is a great special week ( all day, 10h-21h) of intensive training in all kinds of martial arts : all kinds of boxing, mma, wrestling etc.and physical conditioning.
It's directed by a few world champions so it would be a good chance to start off your career with correct basics.
Plus since it's abroad, it would be a great vacation.
Email them at panza.gym@sfr.fr or panzagym@free.fr for more info!
It's also possible to sleep there so don't hesitate to inform yourself!
http://www.alsace-sportdecontact.fr/index.php/prochainement.html

7/19/11 6:32 AM
dunc
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^ uh oh
7/19/11 6:52 AM
Inked624

Zoeyerin - Hey if you are interessed, there is a great special week ( all day, 10h-21h) of intensive training in all kinds of martial arts : all kinds of boxing, mma, wrestling etc.and physical conditioning.
It's directed by a few world champions so it would be a good chance to start off your career with correct basics.
Plus since it's abroad, it would be a great vacation.
Email them at panza.gym@sfr.fr or panzagym@free.fr for more info!
It's also possible to sleep there so don't hesitate to inform yourself!
http://www.alsace-sportdecontact.fr/index.php/prochainement.html

Nah, i'll pass...... Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.