UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Henry Armstrong - LIFE Magazine Image Archives

7/7/11 6:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sgotwalks
1494 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Life Magazine has produced some of the most beautiful images throughout history, and I am grateful for the collection I have archived. The black and white photography of that era is incredibly telling and I for one can stare at these pics for hours, taking in several details from the images background and just absorbing and sharing the moment. Hats off to the photographers at Life Magazine!

To view my other threads with Life Magazine's Image Archives click the links below:
Muhammad Ali - Click Here
Rocky Marciano - Click Here
Joe Louis - Click Here
Sugar Ray Robinson - Click Here
Joe Frazier - Click Here
Archie Moore - Click Here
Classic Random Boxing Images - Click Here

7/7/11 7:01 PM
sgotwalks
1494 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/11 7:09 PM
Most of the following pictures were taken during the couple of days around 'Homicide Hank's' lightweight fight against Enrico Venturi at Madison Square Gardens in January 1938.

7/7/11 7:08 PM
sgotwalks

Edited: 07/07/11 7:10 PM

7/7/11 7:15 PM
brahmabull81
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reminds me of those old Alcatraz photobooks i used to have.
7/7/11 7:16 PM
sgotwalks

7/7/11 7:23 PM
sgotwalks

Edited: 07/07/11 8:01 PM

7/7/11 7:36 PM
Edmondsonknives
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wonderful pics, thanks for sharing!
7/7/11 7:38 PM
sgotwalks

Edited: 07/07/11 8:03 PM

No homo..........but white guys everywhere are rejoicing. Plus, who walks up to shake someones hand while their schlong is hanging out?

7/7/11 7:40 PM
sgotwalks

Edited: 07/07/11 8:42 PM

7/7/11 8:00 PM
sgotwalks

7/7/11 8:03 PM
domernd1
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
7/7/11 8:10 PM
sgotwalks

Edited: 07/07/11 8:17 PM

7/7/11 8:15 PM
sgotwalks

7/7/11 8:19 PM
jaseprobst
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another great photo thread!
In one year Armstrong made like 18 defenses of his welter crown.....he was barely a natural lighweight at the time.
7/7/11 8:24 PM
sgotwalks

Edited: 07/07/11 8:40 PM

"Hey Joe, first and foremost I would like to thank God. I also want to thank my manager and trainers. I would like to thank my beautiful wife and kids for sticking by me and supporting me all these years. I want to thank my sponsor......who placed the skull and crossbones on the back of my robe because I think we are onto something very big here..........afterall, what fighter wouldn't want to wear skulls into their fight, right Joe? I would like to thank my cousin Vinnie and my next door neighbor, and my neighbors dog who sometimes chases me down the street for making me run fast. I would like to thank so many people, I know I am forgetting somebody........oh, oh, wait, I would like to thank my dietician who is going to help me run through three different weight classes at a time when jumping a weight class to win a belt still means something, and I would like to thank Venturi for taking this fight. He is tough as nails, even though he never hurt me one bit and he folded as soon as I turned up the heat in the sixth round because he was completely outclassed. He is one tough son of a gun Joe. He is gonna be a champion some day"

"Oh wait Joe, one more thing"......'grabs Joe's mic hand and yanks it towards his face'........"I wanna see everybody down at club Venus tonight for my afterparty!!!"

Leaves the entire 1938 crowd looking on in shock and going "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?"
7/7/11 8:44 PM
sgotwalks

7/7/11 9:28 PM
sgotwalks

Well, that's all I got. I tried to put the pictures from that day in chronological order as best I could...........by guessing. Henry does not appear to get anywhere near the love Rocky Marciano gets around here, which is totally understandable, but I know there are some purists who will show 'Hank' the love.
7/7/11 9:33 PM
chroniccomics5
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jaseprobst -  Another great photo thread!
In one year Armstrong made like 18 defenses of his welter crown.....he was barely a natural lighweight at the time.

That's insane... he normally fought over 12 fights a year. And he never tired, probably the most resilient fighter ever.
7/7/11 11:39 PM
sgotwalks

^ Yep, he was a workhorse as were many back in the day. Although that pace would be excessive at the championship level today, on the other end of the spectrum the 3 fights every 2 years that we seem to get out of champions is pretty frustrating.
7/8/11 12:04 AM
Squared Circle
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"someone hack my fucking phone!"

-Henry Armstrong
7/8/11 1:55 AM
sgotwalks

^ I missed this. Where did that quote come from?
7/8/11 2:02 AM
Humphrey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that was some cool shit to see there. VTFU. thanks for posting those.
7/8/11 2:14 AM
PoundforPound
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think what Armstrong did in winning 3 world championships in 3 different weight classes...AT THE SAME TIME...is more impressive than Manny Pacquiao being an 8-division world champion.

Especially given the era he did it in.
7/8/11 5:53 AM
sgotwalks

Humphrey - that was some cool shit to see there. VTFU. thanks for posting those.

Much appreciated. This thread was a fun one to create due to the number of images I had and the process of trying to lay them out in chronological order as best I could. Tried to show the story of that day according to what the photographer was capturing. It's not to say some images weren't misplaced.
7/8/11 1:04 PM
sgotwalks

Here is one more picture that was not included in the storyboard of images on the first board because I couldn't figure out where to put it. I am thinking this image was taken while Henry was getting ready after the fight.............but seriously, do some people actually put their socks and shoes on before their pants? This just seems so off to me that I had to put some thought into it and it began to make sense with the loose 'slacks' or dress pants they wore in the day that this might be the easier way of dressing, but it still seems backwards.

Whatever though, I probably sound like an idiot on this one, but thought I would share the image and my thinking behind it anyways........

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.