UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pat Barry: I lost better than anybody

7/10/11 1:11 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

"I was hitting [Kongo] and then all of a sudden I opened my eyes and I thought I won. That was the first thing out of my mouth was, 'Yo, we got him.'"

"I also didn't know I was lying on my back. I thought I was standing face-to-face with him. So when the doctor said, 'Can you try to sit up for me?' I looked at him like, how am I going to sit up when I'm already standing? That doesn't even make sense. You're the worst doctor in the world. You should be fired."

To Barry, none of it made sense. In nine MMA bouts and scores of kickboxing matches, he'd never suffered a knockout.

"I was like, this is what this feels like? First, I was having this little moment, almost like when you're a kid and you finally get on that scary rollercoaster, like the Texas Giant that you've been avoiding for years and years. Then you finally get on and you realize it's not that bad. Guess what, you don't die when you get on it. ... I got knocked out, but I'm still alive. I can get up, walk around, still function. I'm okay. It's not as bad as I thought."

"(Kongo) wasn't pretty much out. He was out out. But I will say this, and I come from a few different viewpoints, but from my personal standpoint, it sucks. It sucks financially. It sucks for my record. It sucks emotionally and mentally. I lost. I got knocked out. Not only did I lose, I lost my third MMA fight to a guy who was knocked out."

"From a fan point of view, there could have been no better outcome to that fight. That was the best possible end to that fight that could have happened. If I would have just kept going and knocked him out, it would have been awesome for me financially and for my record. And yeah, it would have been awesome for the crowd, but it would have been nowhere near as exciting as the way it ended. That was the best ending to that fight possible.

"If Dan Miragliotta would have stopped it, he would have robbed Cheick Kongo of one of the best comebacks in UFC history. And if he would have stopped it, he would have robbed the fans of one of the most exciting endings in the history of the UFC. If he would have stopped that fight, with the way it turned out, it would have been a terrible injustice. We would have all missed one of the greatest 20 seconds in MMA ever."

"Dana White telling me that he thought my best performance was me getting knocked out, you know, I hear what he's really saying. He likes that level of aggression. Everybody's been waiting to see it. Like, 'Come on, man. You're the nicest guy in MMA. Why don't you go out there to kill somebody.' And this, I came out ready for war, and it showed."

You could argue that his aggression cost him dearly. After all, it was as he was charging in on a wounded Kongo that Barry got clipped behind the ear with a right hand. But he doesn't regret that, he said. He did everything more or less right. Kongo punched, Barry blocked. It just so happened that the punch barely slipped past his glove and onto his skull. If it had been a kickboxing match, with the big, padded gloves, he'd have been fine.

"I put up a block for the wrong size glove. What can you do?"

"Every fight, I can honestly say, a part of me has held back because of that fear. So it was kind of a relief. Like, it finally happened. Now I honestly can't wait to get back into the next one and really go off on someone, because now I don't have to worry about what it's like anymore. I don't have that fear of what's going to happen, because now I already know."

"I came into that fight just fearless. Kill or be killed. That's the sacred oath that all kickboxers take. No kickboxer wants to win a decision. I'm going to knock you out or you're going to have to knock me out. I'm coming back with my shield or on it. I'm HD, man. That's what I do. I'm going to win all the way, or I'm going to lose all the way. I'm going to lose better than everybody."

Read entire article...

7/10/11 1:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Neil Funk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he has a way with words, that Pat Barry
7/10/11 1:18 PM
pinkston83

if your not a fan of pat than you suck
7/10/11 1:22 PM
T-Ham
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pat Barry is fantastic.
7/10/11 1:25 PM
CruzedByFabersChinHole
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read and Barry has a good atituude Phone Post
7/10/11 1:26 PM
Mr_Quail

Morecraft next? He needs a winnable fight. I don't want him to get cut :(
7/10/11 1:26 PM
CruzedByFabersChinHole
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CruzedByFabersChinHole - Good read and Barry has a good atituude Phone Post
I hit POST before I could correct it.. Haha

Good read and a good attitude..

We need editing in the app.. Phone Post
7/10/11 1:27 PM
ThinkMMA
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Legit lol at the "you're the worst doctor in the world" line. Pat's awesome!!! Always will be a fan and excited for whatever he does. Phone Post
7/10/11 1:43 PM
Andy the man

"Yo, we got him" = Instant classic.

Barry is THE MAN.

Ok, so he has a limited ground game, the man is great entertainment both on the mic and in the octagon.

War Barry baby!
7/10/11 1:55 PM
GojuGrappler
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pat is pure awesome

7/10/11 1:58 PM
Ice Cubes on Kiriks Nipples

cool
7/10/11 2:12 PM
DiscipleDojo
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fat Baby = the MAN! 
7/10/11 2:18 PM
nni
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tony Eveready - Barry vs Mir

How do you figure? Mir is coming off of two wins and Barry is coming off a loss. That matchup makes no sense
7/10/11 2:25 PM
ZombieAutoPilot

God this guy, every time I read a interview or hear him speak he gains more respect, great dude and a great fighter. Give him some more time to adjust to mma and he will be a tough opponent for most Phone Post
7/10/11 2:27 PM
Dallyboy

uh aint trying to go against the grain , but I think he wants to come off like ya best ending for the fans ....but really hes complaining about the fight not being stopped ....."Kongo wasnt pretty much out , he was out out " and "Not only did I lose .I lost my third mma fight to a guy that was knocked out " ....uh no knocked out is what you was , with all due respect
7/10/11 2:30 PM
Uberstone

Becoming more of a fan every time I see him. Great attitude to have.

And it doesn't hurt that he is always taking off his pants! Phone Post
7/10/11 2:33 PM
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read, Pat definitely deserves the respect of the fans. Phone Post
7/10/11 3:46 PM
DiscipleDojo
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This left out the epic hadoken he threw just before this. :( 
7/10/11 4:01 PM
MarkRobinson
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pinkston83 - if your not a fan of pat than you suck

7/10/11 4:44 PM
Elbeezy1
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Barry 24/7! Good read, and he stays in my top 5! Phone Post
7/10/11 4:50 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson - 
pinkston83 - if your not a fan of pat than you suck

-than/+then, but ....yeah.
7/10/11 4:59 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the best fights ever.
7/10/11 5:07 PM
Gaspare

Barry is awesome Phone Post
7/10/11 5:44 PM
Dallyboy

Edited: 07/10/11 5:45 PM
<blockquote>PiousDevil - <blockquote>Dallyboy - uh aint trying to go against the grain , but I think he wants to come off like ya best ending for the fans ....but really hes complaining about the fight not being stopped ....."Kongo wasnt pretty much out , he was out out " and "Not only did I lose .I lost my third mma fight to a guy that was knocked out " ....uh no knocked out is what you was , with all due respect</blockquote><br /><br /><br />Shut the fuck up kkm! I think pat really does see things through the eyes of a fan, because he seems like suh a fan himself (i.e. The crocop worship, etc)</blockquote><br />lol watever...its impossible to get knocked out by a guy that is knocked out ....
7/10/11 5:57 PM
ABE FROMAN

I hope the UFC doesn't ever get rid of Barry. This is one of those rare cases where the fighter is too exciting to cut even in a loss.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.