UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Bass Players

7/10/11 6:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nostripewhite
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Acoustic bass guitars, are they good to learn on? Or should I go with the whole electric + amp set up?
7/11/11 11:18 AM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've left this alone because I'm not a bass player and don't know what I'm talking about. Mostly. But no one else has answered, and I have been (and sort of am) a guitar player, and think back to what I wish I learned when...

If you live in a space where the whole amp set up thing doesn't make a lot of sense, then go acoustic. Unless you want to use headphones all the time.

If you only want to play electric, that's the sound you want, that's the music you want to play, those are your musical idols, etc.... then maybe I'm wrong.

But here's the REAL point I have to make (as a non-bass-player): the acoustic will teach you the notes just as well, most of the technique will be transferable, and do whatever gets you started studying MUSIC soonest. As in, the point isn't to be the fastest bass player in the world. It might be, eventually, but the first things to learn really are basics of how your hands move along with the function of the instrument in the music, what notes of chords you might be after, how to groove rhythmically...

All that stuff before flash. Then it doesn't matter so much.

OK... that's a start. I'm very happy to be corrected by any actual bass players!
7/12/11 6:13 AM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My short answer is to play what you're going to play; it doesn't make much sense to beat yourself up on an instrument that's not the one you like.

Piano & organ, the notes are in the same spot but no one would advise you to do the one when you want to do the other.
9/1/11 2:23 PM
flowerfeeder
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a Fender Victor Bailey acoustic. Couldn't hype it enough. Love it. Would be an excellent bass to learn on.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.