UnderGround Forums

TattooGround >> How important is artistic skill in tattooing?

7/10/11 9:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TampabayMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my mind I wouyld think that a tattoo artist should be an artist first, that is they should be able to draw really well. Like draw people and objects with proper proportion, perspective etc.

With so many tattoo artists out there, I see many that cant really draw for shit, except for stuff theyve practiced a lot, and that seems wrong to me. The first thing Id want to see from a tattoo artist is their original art. I see so many "great" tattoos that are anatomically incorrect and unnatural looking.
12/5/11 12:32 PM
LeftLowKick
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's like asking how important is being a good athlete in playing in the NFL
12/7/11 12:55 PM
Fillthy
290 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/07/11 12:54 PM
tattooing is not drawing on skin. Most great 'drawers' would be crap with a tattoo gun. I look at the artist's portfolio to determine if they've done the kind of tattoo I want. I think finding someone who enjoys tattooing in the style you want is more important that how much you like their original art work.
12/10/11 4:44 PM
Blueyevil
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, tattooing is the complete opposite of drawing. Most artist suck at tattooing, but most tattoo artist go on to become good artist.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.