UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ken Shamrock: "You don't know what it's like to

7/10/11 10:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Funaki Masakatsu #1
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"You don't know what it's like to stop what you love" Ken fires back at those who tell him to retire.
7/10/11 10:29 PM
FingerorMoon
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

poor Ken...
7/10/11 10:42 PM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was actually a poignant, thoughtful response to that. Ken makes a lot of good points and really hits on the reality of how brutal life as an athlete can be.

The medication analogy was weird though.
7/10/11 11:15 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/10/11 11:43 PM
 Ken Shamrock is one of the single most important reasons why MMA exists in the exploding, mainstream capacity that it does today. He has earned the right to fight as long as he wants.

7/10/11 11:26 PM
Zomby
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Ken Shamrock, and I get his beef with mma writers. Having said that, it's really about safety for him, rather than putting him down because he is old.

The James Toney fight is easily winnable for him if he follows the Randy Couture gameplan, but still a dangerous fight.
7/10/11 11:55 PM
heatmeiser
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't believe Ken loves mma. So I'm not tearing up over the statement. He's desperately trying to scrape up every last dollar from mma he can before he's completely forgotten. Phone Post
7/10/11 11:56 PM
Humphrey

Edited: 07/10/11 11:58 PM
Chris Power - That was actually a poignant, thoughtful response to that. Ken makes a lot of good points and really hits on the reality of how brutal life as an athlete can be.

The medication analogy was weird though.

I like ken.

the worst part about this is that the plethora of tuffers that don't remember the real ken.

But as poignant as you may think he was, his anaologies were absolutely fucking stupid.

Comparing a fighter YEARS out of his prime to a 60 year old man asking for medication.... Seriously? If anyone really doesn't understand what that analogy is retarded i feel sorry for them.

Look, Ken is wound way too tight, and he fucks up saying things. a lot like tito but wound way tighter. But he's right about the fact that he's an animal that just wants to compete. However, the part he's missing is that just because he fights that doesn't mean people HAVE to care. He doesn't get that. he's not owed anything in that respect.

Want a real analogy that truthfully points out the issue?

take a 2010 corvette and put it next to a 1984 corvette that's been driving, racing and just tearing it up for 25+ years. Now tell me which one you'd rather look at??@!!  
7/10/11 11:56 PM
Humphrey

Edited: 07/11/11 12:00 AM
by the way, I've felt for years that part of Ken's problem has been since 06 he's seen what fighters are getting paid, and he's felt like he deserved more. He did a LOT to put MMA on the map, and get every bit of himself to the sport as people do now, with not one thousandth the recognition and pay.
7/11/11 12:05 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

heatmeiser -  I don't believe Ken loves mma.  Phone Post

What do you base this belief on?
7/11/11 12:12 AM
weldon

Ken will always be a champ. He's a super tough dude, and he's 100% right.
7/11/11 12:17 AM
heatmeiser
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 -

Felix Lee Mitchell Phone Post
7/11/11 12:19 AM
heatmeiser

Or how about a mysterious cut, that'll I'll say was admin'd by his "personal doctor", prior to the Kimbo fight when it was known he was trying leverage for money. It stunk. Phone Post
7/11/11 12:20 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

heatmeiser - 
Funaki Masakatsu #1 -

Explain

7/11/11 12:21 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

heatmeiser -  Or how about a mysterious cut, that'll I'll say was admin'd by his "personal doctor", prior to the Kimbo fight when it was known he was trying leverage for money. It stunk. Phone Post

So Ken's goal was to hold out for more money, but then cuts himself so he can't fight and then receives NO money? How does that make any sense?
7/11/11 12:29 AM
heatmeiser

Funaki Masakatsu #1 -
heatmeiser - 
Funaki Masakatsu #1 -

Explain

Really? Ken feigns injury because he has no chance to rematch Royce. Phone Post
7/11/11 12:34 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

heatmeiser - 
Funaki Masakatsu #1 -
heatmeiser - 
Funaki Masakatsu #1 -

Explain

Really? Ken feigns injury because he has no chance to rematch Royce. Phone Post

Actually, Ken came into the event injured and re-aggrevated it during the tournament, but whatever.
7/11/11 12:40 AM
Hel13torm
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for posting the interview......
will always be a Shamrock nuthugger

7/11/11 12:40 AM
heatmeiser

Funaki Masakatsu #1 -
heatmeiser -  Or how about a mysterious cut, that'll I'll say was admin'd by his "personal doctor", prior to the Kimbo fight when it was known he was trying leverage for money. It stunk. Phone Post

So Ken's goal was to hold out for more money, but then cuts himself so he can't fight and then receives NO money? How does that make any sense?
Youre a blue, can you make this clickable for me sir?

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/02/26/exclusive-frank-shamrock-interview-i-think-ken-cut-himself/ Phone Post
7/11/11 12:43 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

heatmeiser - 
Funaki Masakatsu #1 -

Youre a blue, can you make this clickable for me sir?

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/02/26/exclusive-frank-shamrock-interview-i-think-ken-cut-himself/ Phone Post
fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/02/26/exclusive-frank-shamrock-interview-i-think-ken-cut-himself/

7/11/11 1:23 AM
blushgirl412
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

respect for a pioneer
7/11/11 1:30 AM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/11/11 1:38 AM
FloridaStriker

There needs to be Royce vs Ken again

One more time pls
7/11/11 2:21 AM
MarshallMMA
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 -

When was he last at an event Phone Post
7/11/11 2:43 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

ttt
7/11/11 4:35 PM
rockyboy

I don't think money is the issue for Ken, unlike his pro wrestling persona, he's actually a very smart guy and knows well enough how to make his living outside fighting.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.