UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Sword with holes in blade?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/11/11 1:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Buddhadev
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Netflixed the movie "The Book of Eli" with Denzel W not too long ago (cool movie, btw). He was using this sword that had holes in the blade--presumably to make it lighter? They made a big deal about him sharpening it all the time--which I imagine would be very necessary for a lightweight blade to have any power (prob useless without a very sharp blade).

Is this a real weapon? If it is, what system of martial arts trains with it, if any? Anyone own/play with one?
7/12/11 12:43 AM
Buddhadev
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/12/11 12:43 AM
ok, consulted my friend google and it looks like the "sword" was actually a kukri machete. Weird, since I always thought of kukris as heavy, chopping/slashing tools/weapons that leaveraged their weight as much as their sharpness. The idea of one that purposefully foregoes some blade heft seems counter-intuitive. Thoughts?
7/12/11 1:47 AM
Skpotamus
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/12/11 1:50 AM
It looked cool, hence them using it. Holes in the blade just look cool. They don't really offer anything to the sword, other than making it a little bit lighter, and weaker.

That's not really a kukri though, it's a bolo. A kukri has the entire blade and spine angling forward. The bolo just has the fattening blade while the spine stays straight.

http://www.kingofswords.com/Swords/Movie-Replicas/New-Movie-Swords/Book-of-Eli-Kukri-Machete-Knife.html

http://superiormartialarts.com/cgi-bin/uniform/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=escrimaknives.html&ORDER_ID=426497089&affiliate=!affiliate!

http://www.eskrimatrading.com/products_swords.htm

Kabar sells a cutlass machete that's quite similar without the holes (and a little bit shorter and heavier)

Here's another bolo machete/sword seen here: http://llbotanica.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=255&osCsid=be3b1f15b118999acbac7aa04b96a0b0
7/12/11 1:38 PM
Buddhadev

@Skpotamus: As usual, you've hit a thread response out of the park. Thanks!

I *thought* the holes in the blade seemed funny. So would you say that there isn't an argument to be made for a weapon that's super-light as long as it's kept super-sharp? Would it just be impractical to always keep it sharp enough to offset the power lost by the light weight? Thanks again.

BTW, are you on facebook? facebook.com/buddhadev
7/13/11 6:42 AM
Skpotamus
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, it would depend on the what the blade was going to be used for. Some jobs work well with a light, sharp blade, some work better with a heavier, duller blade. Renaissance duelists found that a long, "light" rapier worked better for one on one duels than a heavier, shorter sword because it was faster and the goal was to poke holes in the other guy. Likewise, a lot of those rapiers didn't have much of an edge, because they were too light to really inflict much damage by cutting. Chopping wood works best with a shorter, heavier blade (like an ax) with a different angle on the edge (so you don't have to keep polishing knicks out of it), hacking through a jungle would require different blade type yet (usually light and sharp for plants and lighter to carry)

From a utility standpoint, I prefer something with some weight behind it with a decent edge. Like an authentic kukri http://www.khukuripalace.com/ (where I got mine). I use it camping as a general utility knife, wood chopper, etc.

For fighting, well, if a firearm and some long range was out of the question, I'd probably grab the kukri because the heavy weight lets it do some pretty powerful cuts and it's about the length of the sticks I normally train with. YMMV.
7/13/11 8:44 PM
Buddhadev

Edited: 07/13/11 10:33 PM
So lightening the weight of a short slashing weapon like the kukri or bolo with holes isn't something you'd subscribe to the effectiveness of? If you wanted to use a lighter slashing weapon, better to use one that's designed to be that way rather than adding holes to the design of one that isn't?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.