UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> How do you deal with shorter swarmers?

7/12/11 11:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SidRon
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any tips on how to deal with guys that are shorter than you that come in and swarm you with hooks and uppercuts? Specific advice on what to do once they are already in and past your jab and cross would be very helpful. Thanks.
7/12/11 5:38 PM
BadRed
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stiff jab and a straight right to get him thinking a bit before leaping in with punches. Also, left hook/uppercut hybrid to lift the chin followed by a right straight or cross.

Smart lateral movement, avoid backing straight up, give the guy angles that allow you to walk him into your punches.
7/12/11 7:57 PM
SidRon
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the advice. Right now I am instinctually covering up when he gets inside but that is just turning me into a punching bag.
7/12/11 8:36 PM
BadRed

Also, talk to him, let him know how it makes you feel when he gets inside and rakes your body and head with hard punches. Communicate. Hopefully he'll understand and be more sensitive to your needs.
7/12/11 9:55 PM
PoundforPound
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/12/11 10:00 PM
BadRed - Stiff jab and a straight right to get him thinking a bit before leaping in with punches. Also, left hook/uppercut hybrid to lift the chin followed by a right straight or cross.

Smart lateral movement, avoid backing straight up, give the guy angles that allow you to walk him into your punches.

Great advice.

Besides the left hook a right uppercut works well too when he manages to get past your jab and right cross. (using the 1-2 and good footwork to keep him at a distance should be a good 70% of your fight plan by the way.)
7/12/11 10:16 PM
BadRed

PoundforPound - 
BadRed - Stiff jab and a straight right to get him thinking a bit before leaping in with punches. Also, left hook/uppercut hybrid to lift the chin followed by a right straight or cross.

Great advice.

Besides the left hook a right uppercut works well too when he manages to get past your jab and right cross. (using the 1-2 and good footwork to keep him at a distance should be a good 70% of your fight plan by the way.)

After disagreeing over other boxing topics it seems we've found common ground.....

Apparently I need to consider your opinion more carefully the next time I encounter it. Since you think my advice is great you must be exceptionally intelligent and very insightful. Well done, carry on.
7/13/11 12:29 AM
ANT_P1989
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

STIFF AS FUCK JABS! Phone Post
7/13/11 2:55 AM
Joe Ray

Move to your right when your opponent moves in.

7/14/11 11:39 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Learn how to fight inside and beat him to the punch with hooks and uppercuts.
7/15/11 2:23 PM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well timed uppercuts won't hurt either.
7/16/11 3:18 PM
chadk
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Work the "Philly" jab, you'll hit him somewhere with it and slow him up. Feint him and when he tries coming under your jab, have something waiting on him lol. I like bumping them with my shoulders and forearms to create a bit of space and throwing the opposite hand through that gap. You want to avoid patterns, which makes it easier for him time his entries. Also, you're probably setting your feet to punch and not moving afterwards. Throw your shots, then slide or pivot off to an angle. In sparring, use this time to work on your infighting. In a fight, just step in with him and tie him up. Let the ref earn his pay and separate you. Get your distance back when he does.
7/19/11 3:47 PM
chadk
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You try to implement any of these suggestions into your training yet? What worked for you and what didn't?
7/19/11 8:22 PM
SidRon

chadk - You try to implement any of these suggestions into your training yet? What worked for you and what didn't?

First off I have managed to overcome the instinct to cover up and stand still. The guy giving me the problems is orthodox and so am I. I have been trying to quickly move to the right and away and that seems to be working well. Often times I push him away with a shoulder bump or just plain old push with my hands before moving away. The pushing before pivoting to the right may be bad form and not work well against skilled opponents but it seems to be working decently. I have tried throwing short uppercuts and hooks also but that is not working well for me as this guy easily gets the best of me when infighting. Maybe with more infighting practice I will get better. Also several times when moving away doesn't seem to work I have just been grabbing him in a clinch with both arms to stop the damage. I fell kind of bad doing that as it is knid of stalling but it is better than taking three or four more hard shots.
7/19/11 10:16 PM
PoundforPound
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SidRon - Also several times when moving away doesn't seem to work I have just been grabbing him in a clinch with both arms to stop the damage. I fell kind of bad doing that as it is knid of stalling but it is better than taking three or four more hard shots.

That's not bad to use as a security blanket while you get your infighting up to par.

Or you can just make it a permanent part of your style, like the Klitschkos do.
7/26/11 12:21 PM
ANT_P1989
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That shoulder bump is great for pushing off to land some short burst combos. Use it well and often, he'll be thinking twice then. Phone Post
7/29/11 11:35 PM
morotetsuke
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

clinch
8/8/11 1:59 AM
Beefy Wellington

A good strong jab and don't move straight back. Phone Post
2/4/12 8:56 PM
Gentorz

A lot of jabs, right uppercuts, lateral movement and lead right hands...this will work 9/10 times unless he is Mike Tyson like in his body-movement, which I seriously doubt ;)
2/6/12 10:18 AM
martinburke
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2EaE_1wNCA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZppkbpfWT8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Fys04zxEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVQuidJl8LE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4EB5xQqXVM&feature=related

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.