UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dan Henderson talks using TRT since 2007

7/12/11 12:44 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1070 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) has become a hot topic in mixed martial arts during the last 12 months. Often overlooked in the discussion is Dan Henderson, who’s been using the treatment for more than four years. Henderson was the first athlete to ever receive a therapeutic exemption for TRT in Nevada, prior to a fight against Wanderlei Silva in 2007.

“My levels were so low they were off the charts,” Henderson told ESPN.com. “I was always tired and getting sick a lot.

“I couldn’t even tell you [how to abuse it]. I’ve never gone above normal ranges. All I know is that I’m not as tired and I don’t get as sick as I used to.”

“I always (monitor my testosterone levels when not in competition) on my own just to cover my own ass."

“The only time people get monitored now is at the fights. I think it might be good to have stricter monitoring where people are getting tested throughout the year.”

Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada commission, is a strong proponent of allowing TRT when necessary.

“You don’t want to stop an athlete from doing it if he’s got a legitimate chemical deficiency,” Kizer said. “In situations where they need it to live a healthy, long life, maybe have kids, whatever, you don’t want to take that away.

“But, it is fair that the burden falls on them to prove they need it and that they are following it.”

Read entire article...

7/12/11 12:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Winnson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed with random testing throughout the year.

If you know it's not going to ever happen outside fight time, it's just too easy to give yourself a 'bump' here and there.
7/12/11 12:54 PM
sacredhate
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not sure what to think.

Zuffa could readily make it a condition of being in their stable of fighters...testing every 4-6 weeks. they have enough other clauses in the contract that this would seem easy enough.

flip side is if it's really that prevalent then maybe this would eliminate a lot of top talent and exciting fights, sideline fighters for long between bouts, increase the number of fighters injured in camp etc.
7/12/11 12:55 PM
romophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Old men are old.
7/12/11 1:06 PM
CKH09

This TRT stuff is stupid. Its weird how the mma guys seem to need a lot more than athletes in any other sport. These guys found a way around the system and they are going to run with. From my understanding, the main cause for low testosterone is that you were shooting roids at some point and you stop so, your body doesn't produce the proper amounts of testosterone any more. These guys say it doesn't help them that much athletic wise. Yet, the two oldest fighter who are or were still good, Hendo/Randy used them.
7/12/11 1:09 PM
CKH09

sacredhate - not sure what to think.

Zuffa could readily make it a condition of being in their stable of fighters...testing every 4-6 weeks. they have enough other clauses in the contract that this would seem easy enough.

flip side is if it's really that prevalent then maybe this would eliminate a lot of top talent and exciting fights, sideline fighters for long between bouts, increase the number of fighters injured in camp etc.

I don't think guys would get hurt any more than they already do. And If so, its part of the sport. That would be like the NFL saying the players should be able to use HGH so, they can come back from injuries faster. Being durable is part of what makes a good athlete.
7/12/11 1:10 PM
Bofbro
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So really what he's saying is that just before his biggest and greatest wins,he started taking trt hmmm.
7/12/11 1:20 PM
Onnie804yamsaki

Haha all the people saying there is no proof hendo uses trt......... HERES YOUR PROOF
7/12/11 1:22 PM
Onnie804yamsaki

CKH09 - This TRT stuff is stupid. Its weird how the mma guys seem to need a lot more than athletes in any other sport. These guys found a way around the system and they are going to run with. From my understanding, the main cause for low testosterone is that you were shooting roids at some point and you stop so, your body doesn't produce the proper amounts of testosterone any more. These guys say it doesn't help them that much athletic wise. Yet, the two oldest fighter who are or were still good, Hendo/Randy used them.

Yes, EVERY SINGLE guy that is on TRT abused roids, since its a likely scenario with some, it must be EVERYONE in mma.

Genius right here
7/12/11 1:24 PM
Whambo
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CKH09 - This TRT stuff is stupid. Its weird how the mma guys seem to need a lot more than athletes in any other sport. These guys found a way around the system and they are going to run with. From my understanding, the main cause for low testosterone is that you were shooting roids at some point and you stop so, your body doesn't produce the proper amounts of testosterone any more. These guys say it doesn't help them that much athletic wise. Yet, the two oldest fighter who are or were still good, Hendo/Randy used them.

Do you actually know whether athletes in other sports are using TRT, or are you just assuming?
7/12/11 1:25 PM
JimmersonzGlove
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Henderson was licensed by Nevada for TRT in his 2nd fight vs Wand.
7/12/11 1:28 PM
K-Dub-"T"

“The only time people get monitored now is at the fights. I think it might be good to have stricter monitoring where people are getting tested throughout the year.”

Only a true BOSS like Hendo would say this.
Fael RaiSonNuts and Nate Tearduct wouldn't dare mention this.

7/12/11 1:31 PM
kdslone

I would find it hard to believe that ANY of the MMA athletes who are using TRT wasn't on the gas at some point.
7/12/11 1:33 PM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's an old question. Should falling hormone levels be rebalanced or should you just have to train less and face up to the fact that you are getting older or cutting too much weight? HGH and erythropoietin levels are suppressed by training also, should fighters be taking HGH and EPO to rebalance themselves too?
7/12/11 1:43 PM
CKH09

Onnie804yamsaki - 

Yes, EVERY SINGLE guy that is on TRT abused roids, since its a likely scenario with some, it must be EVERYONE in mma.

Genius right here

May want to learn to read. Didn't say every guy has, just said that it was my understanding that the main cause of low testerone is the use of steroids. You clearly have top notch comprehension skills. And this is why people shouldn't be allowed to have children if their IQ isn't higher than their age.
7/12/11 1:46 PM
CKH09

RickMartelsArrogance - 
CanadianCouture - I love Dan Henderson, I think he is a great fighter and seems to be a good person (no outside of the ring troubles), however I find it extremely hard to believe that a former Olympian, and a world class MMA fighter (Combat Athlete) would have a natural testosterone deficiancy. Now with that being said I am sure he is one of many fighter doing Testosterone Replacement Therapy. I do believe TRT is a cheap way of getting steroids legally.

Just my 2 cents.

Why do you find that extremely hard to believe?

You do realize that partaking in regular extremely strenuous physical exertion, like that which a professional athlete participates in regularly can wreak havoc on your T levels and hormones in general, correct?

Or are you talking out of your arse about a subject you know little to nothing about in the first place?

Shouldn't athletes in every other sport be trying to use it then? If this is the case, shouldn't every player in the NFL be on TRT then. Just another excuse to gain an advantage.
7/12/11 1:48 PM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickMartelsArrogance - 
Hungry4Stink - It's an old question. Should falling hormone levels be rebalanced or should you just have to train less and face up to the fact that you are getting older or cutting too much weight? HGH and erythropoietin levels are suppressed by training also, should fighters be taking HGH and EPO to rebalance themselves too?

If their EPO or HGH levels are so low they are an endangerment to the fighter's health, then yes those should be kept within a normal acceptable range as well.

Hendo cutting too much weight? Dan doesn't cut weight these days. At all.
No Hendo doesn't cut weight but he's older. Hormone levels will drop with age or with weight cut. Younger people who train heavily and have a calorie restricted diet also have lowered hormone levels.

The question about endangering health is...endurance training lowers hormone levels. If his health is being endangered it's probably partly due to the work he has to do to be an elite fighter.

7/12/11 2:04 PM
LordSeano
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How the hell is:

"My natural testosterone levels are lower than I would like/than when I was younger so I get a doctor to sign off on test boosters"

More legal than

"My natural test levels are lower than I would like/than when I was younger so I use banned performance enhancing drugs"
7/12/11 2:10 PM
CKH09

RickMartelsArrogance - 
CKH09 - 
Shouldn't athletes in every other sport be trying to use it then? If this is the case, shouldn't every player in the NFL be on TRT then. Just another excuse to gain an advantage.

TRT is not allowed in the NFL.

Also, how many 40+ yr old NFL players do you know of?

Kind of the point. Should they really allow these guys to use a drug that allows them to stay relevant longer or should they just take their ass whoopins like men and retire. I don't think at any point its ok to allow somebody to use PEDs, especially in contact sport like mma because the fact that you are using them could put somebody elses carreer in jeopardy. IMO, if the need this they shouldn't be allowed to compete. Its kind of like letting the kid in the wheel chair compete in track and field. Because of a deficiancy they are being allowed special rules, it will end when one of these guys severly hurts someobdy.
7/12/11 2:39 PM
JudOWNED
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From my understanding, the main cause for low testosterone is that you were shooting roids at some point and you stop so, your body doesn't produce the proper amounts of testosterone any more.

I've heard this too. Can anyone confirm or refute that?
7/12/11 2:42 PM
CKH09

Canadian Couture do you have the name of one of these doctors? I would like to speak to them please. Because this sounds glorious. Another example of doctors being unethical would be what they refer to where I'm from as pill mills. You can go in pay a fee to see a doctor and tell them your knee hurts and they automatically prescribe you pain medications without an x-ray or mri.
7/12/11 2:43 PM
CKH09

RickMartelsArrogance - 
CanadianCouture - RickMartelsArrogance
I think it would be safe to assume that I have pushed my body harder than you have.

That's a pretty dumb assumption to make towards someone who medaled in the 05 Deaflympics and competed in the 06 Freestyle and Greco FILA championships in Guangzhou.

shananigans.
7/12/11 2:47 PM
CKH09

JudOWNED - 
From my understanding, the main cause for low testosterone is that you were shooting roids at some point and you stop so, your body doesn't produce the proper amounts of testosterone any more.

I've heard this too. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

I don't believe the to be the only cause. But, I did watch a special on tv a few years back about Jose Consaco. And it was about him and his steroid use. They showed him going to his doctor several times and his doctor was telling him that he had abused steroids so much that his body had almost completely stopped producing testosterone and that he wanted to place him on Testosterone Replacement. And that was the first time I had ever heard of it. It was well before I had heard of anybody in mma taking it.
7/12/11 2:58 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/12/11 2:58 PM
Underground News - Kizer said. "In situations where they need it to live a healthy, long life, maybe have kids, whatever, you don't want to take that away.

TRT makes you sterile.
7/12/11 3:03 PM
LordSeano
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickMartelsArrogance - 
LordSeano - How the hell is:

"My natural testosterone levels are lower than I would like/than when I was younger so I get a doctor to sign off on test boosters"

More legal than

"My natural test levels are lower than I would like/than when I was younger so I use banned performance enhancing drugs"
One is under the guidance of a licensed Physician/Provider that is willing to put their license to practice medicine on the line to treat your condition/deficiency within the guidelines established by the AMA.

One is the exact opposite of the above mentioned.

How can you not discern the difference between the two?

Lol no shit sherlock - I realise that.

My point is I do not see "My natural test levels have decreased because I got old" as a valid excuse for doping.

Its a loophole - plain and simple.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.