UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Reallocate memory from one partition to other?

7/12/11 2:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JLK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got a question. My hard disk is partitioned into 2 partitions (C and E), my C partition is almost out of memory but my E has plenty.

I am using Windows XP and I'm wondering if there are any tools I can use to send over memory from the E to the C without doing a reformat.

Or am I hosed?
7/12/11 4:23 PM
notsodirty
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/12/11 4:25 PM
JLK - Got a question. My hard disk is partitioned into 2 partitions (C and E), my C partition is almost out of memory but my E has plenty.

I am using Windows XP and I'm wondering if there are any tools I can use to send over memory from the E to the C without doing a reformat.

Or am I hosed?
First of all, make a backup.

Secondly download this onto a USB and boot up the computer and delete the E: partion and increase C: with memory from the delete partion.  http://gparted.sourceforge.net/liveusb.php

There is a Windows tool also but I can't remember the name since I don't use Windows.

EDIT: You can use this tool ( http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to make a bootable USB from the downloaded ISO file.

7/13/11 4:17 PM
JLK

Edited: 07/13/11 4:17 PM
Thanks for the links. I took a look at the forums there and it seems people are having problems with this method. Guess I'm gonna just try to ride it out until I get the new PC.
7/15/11 1:07 PM
StephenL

partion magic?

stephen
7/15/11 3:56 PM
JLK

The links that I've found took me to Norton and they say they no longer offer the product. A couple of the other links took me to BS sites that claim to offer the product bud don't really offer it.
7/16/11 1:26 PM
notsodirty
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JLK - Thanks for the links. I took a look at the forums there and it seems people are having problems with this method. Guess I'm gonna just try to ride it out until I get the new PC.
Meh, memory is cheap, backup you're data and try. I have tried this method, works fine.

7/16/11 4:24 PM
JLK

I was able to free up another 4 gig of space (bringing a total of 8 gig). I don't really plan on downloading any crap and am hoping it will last for another 3 or 4 months. Gotta repay a loan and then I'm going to buy a new PC. Starting to do the research on what to pick up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.